Featured Sulla, Marius and an Anonymous denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

800px-Sulla_Glyptothek_Munich_309.jpg Marius_Glyptothek_Munich_319.jpg
    (Images Public Domain ex-wikipedia)
    Last week I shared a coin from Brutus, that celebrated his family history of tyrannicide, in this thread. This week, a much humbler coin, linked in time to an equally compelling story (and to Julius Caesar). This coin is an anonymous denarius which also has variants that are signed by Gargonius, Ogulnius and Vergilius.

This relatively affordable, and common coin, is easily ignored or dismissed. To me it is always surprising how readily available a 2000+ year old coin can be from Rome from a storied time of social unrest and civil war, linked to Marius, Sulla, Cinna, the young Julius Caesar, and others.
    Anon 86 denarius bk.jpg
    Anonymous issue, 86 BC, AR Denarius
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right, thunderbolt below, border of dots.
    Rev: Jupiter in quadriga right hurling thunderbolt, border of dots.
    Ref: Crawford 350A/2; RSC 226; Syd 723
    Size: 3.85g, 19.4mm
    several nicer examples shared on CT in this thread.

After the first Social War, in which Sulla distinguished himself as a general, he became consul in 88 BC. He was awarded the prized assignment of suppressing the revolt of Mithradates VI of Pontus, however, political maneuvers transferred the assignment to Caius Marius. Sulla then took the unprecedented step of turning his army against Rome, captured it, and reclaimed his command. Sulla declared his older rival Marius an enemy of the people, Marius fled, and Sulla left Rome to fight Mithradates in Pontus.

While Sulla was away, Marius, who had survived by fleeing to Africa, returned to Rome, overturned Sulla’s reforms, exiled Sulla and was elected consul for the seventh time in 86 BC with Lucius Cornelius Cinna. An interesting turn-around for Lucius Cinna, who had taken an oath to faithfully support Sulla and his policies: praying that if he did not maintain his goodwill towards Sulla, he might be cast out of the city.

In 86 BC Julius Caesar was a young man of about 15 or 16 when this coin was issued. At 16, he married Cornelia, the daughter of consul Lucius Cinna, and was serving as Flamen Dialis. Caesar's marriage to Cornelia would eventually result in a confrontation with Sulla, when he returned to Rome, but that is another story, and another coin.

Any corrections or additional reading or information related to the above is appreciated. Share your RR denarii anonymous or signed by Gargonius, Ogulnius and Vergilius or anything else you find relevant or entertaining.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    TJC, randygeki, Nathan401 and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful coin and during one of my favorite periods in Roman history! Also, fun write up and reminder of what these coins may represent!!
    Here's mine:
    907316C4-EC4D-4EEF-89D3-B42CED04309C.png
    Roman Republic Anonymous Issue
    86 B.C. AR denarius (18.31 mm, 3.28 g, 6 h). Rome mint, struck 86 B.C. head of Apollo right wreathed in oak / Jupiter driving quadriga right, [brandishing thunderbolt]. RRC 350 A/2; RSC 226; CRR 723. gVF/VF, strong portrait, lightly toned.
    This issue is contemporaneous and shares the same devices with the signed triple-magistrate issues for Gargonius, Ogulnias and Vergilius so it must be considered related to that issue, but the reason for its existence is unclear.

What a villain that Sulla was:vamp: here's one of my favorite RRs:
    C3D845DB-0DA2-456F-9496-D439FB623509.png
    L. Sulla and L. Manlius Torquatus
    82 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.8 g). Military mint traveling with Sulla. Helmeted head of Roma right / Sulla driving triumphal quadriga right; above, crowning Victory flying left.
    As consul for the year 88 BC, Sulla was awarded the coveted assignment of suppressing the revolt of Mithradates VI of Pontus, but political maneuvers resulted in this assignment being transferred to Marius. In response, Sulla turned his army on Rome,!

I always wanted a Marius coin. I bought this thinking it was in honor of the man... Though have since been told it's not even from his relatives:shifty:

7F2CE0C8-1973-4DC9-8678-CF5262D053AB.png
    C. Marius C.f. Capito
    81 BC. Rome Serratus AR 17mm., 3,63g.
    Draped bust of Ceres right, wearing wreath of grain ears, anchor below chin / Ploughman with yoke of oxen left, inverted T above.
    nearly very fine
    Crawford 378/1c; Sydenham 744b; Maria 9. Former Savoca

TIF, randygeki, Nathan401 and 8 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i'd like to have a Sulla coin for i too find that era fascinating...i just have a quinarius from that time(89BC) line..so far..:) greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 009.JPG greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 008.JPG

5. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great coin of a great period! Here are some historically related:

Lucius Appuleius Saturninus, Marius's tame tribune of the plebs who went too far and caused a massive riot that Marius had to quell. Marius tried to stow Saturninus safely in the Curia, but some aristocrats killed him with roof tiles.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 7.49.24 PM.jpg
    denarius, c. 104 BCE

C. Fundanius, issued to celebrate Marius's victories over the Germans:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 8.50.58 PM.jpg
    quinarius, c. 101 BCE

L. Calpurnius Piso/Q. Servilius Caepio, foes of Gaius Marius (and Saturninus). This coin was issued to mark the passage of the Marius/Saturninus populist law subsidizing grain for the people of Rome, just before the riot mentioned above.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 8.46.19 PM.jpg
    denarius, c. 100 BCE

L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, part of a huge issue to fund the Social War:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.02.44 PM.jpg
    denarius, c. 90 BCE

Mithradates VI of Pontus (as Perseus, slaughtering the Medusa of Rome), defeated by Lucullus and Sulla:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 8.56.39 PM.jpg
    issued in Amisos, after 88 BCE

Sulla, issued during his march on Rome:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 8.49.37 PM.jpg
    denarius, c. 82 BCE

For an entertaining semi-fictional history of the period, to my mind nothing beats Colleen McCullough's The First Man in Rome (Marius) and The Grass Crown (Social War & Sulla).

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My example was from a JA auction F537BFA9-1059-4721-86C0-A1E4DB6B923E.jpeg 304A1DFD-F475-4B1B-8F18-0D94416BF4EC.jpeg

TIF, randygeki, kaparthy and 7 others like this.
  8. Sulla80

Thanks for your excellent coins - the Mithradates VI is the one on my wish list. L Appuleius Saturninus another favorite as a relatively accessible coin with interesting stories e.g. Appian writing in 2nd century AD. Here's mine that I've had for ~20 years:
    LAppuleiusSaturninus.jpg
    Lucius Appuleius Saturninus AR Denarius.
    Rome, 104 BC
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma left (on this coin I find the X scratched in behind Roma funny)
    Rev: L SATVRN, Saturn in quadriga right; B facing down with pellet above and below.
    Size: 20.0mm, 3.88g
    Ref: Crawford 317/3b (control mark below) This type 3a-b, Crawford lists 370 obv dies, type 1 (<10) - control mark on the obverse - or type 2 (<10) - quadriga on the obverse too.

Also appreciated, the book recommendations - picked up both, used, for a total of $7 including shipping, and I look forward to reading. Your adjective, "semi-fictional", could start a long thread about "what we know" - another reason to like ancient coins - they do provide some physical evidence mostly unedited from the time.

TIF, randygeki, kaparthy and 5 others like this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That is awesome!! I love it. :happy:

Excellent! I occasionally drop book recommendations here but you may well be the first to take me up on it. :shame: I hope you enjoy. They're definitely good for ancient history nerds; a couple non-ancient-history nerds I know got a bit frustrated with all the Roman names. :rolleyes:

kaparthy likes this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sweet, I have one of the OP denarii too

35542.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC. Anonymous.
    AR Denarius
    Rome Mint, 86 BCE.
    Obv.: Laureate head of Apollo right; thunderbolt below.
    Rev.: Jupiter driving galloping quadriga right, hurling thunderbolt and holding reins.
    Reference: Crawford 350A/2

11. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My anonymous example of the denarius. It's not the finest example, but it has a provenance as long as my right arm, which makes it kinda special:

2568404l.jpg
    Anonymous, 86 BCE
    AR Denarius (3.96g; 20mm)
    Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo, facing right.
    Reverse: Zeus driving quadriga right.
    Reference: Crawford 350A/2; Sydenham 723.
    Provenance: Ex Künker eLive Auction 42 (18 Oct 2016) Lot 97; Hess-Divo 317 (2010), Lot 622; Bally-Herzog Collection [Münzen und Medaillen 93 (2003), Lot 30]; Tolstoï Collection [A. Hess (11 Mar 1912) Lot 161].

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Volodya, TIF, randygeki and 8 others like this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

My Denarius below has an horrific history involving Sulla. kBY3Hc7KR8wbZHe45n2NWm9jiFQ26o.jpg
    Publius Fonteius P.f. Capito AR silver denarius. Struck 55 BC or later. P FONTEIVS CAPITO III VIR CONCORDIA, laureate, diademed, & veiled head of Concordia right. Reverse - T DIDI to left, VIL PVB to right, the Villa Publica: building consisting of two stories, each with a row of columns, to which gates are attached; the lower columns are surmounted by arches, the upper ones by a sloping roof; IMP below. Cr429/2b, Syd 901a. 18mm, 3.6g.

Built to house the censor's records, the Villa Publica was later used by city magistrates to receive foreign ambassadors. In 82 BC, the Villa Publica was the scene of a horrific massacre, as Sulla ordered the deaths of some 4,000 Samnite and Democrat rebels holed up within (Seneca).

Titus Didius, grandfather to the moneyer of this issue, P Fonteius Capito, undertook an extensive restoration of the Villa Publica in 93 BC. Interestingly, Capito himself would undertake to restore the building many years later, in 34 BC.

TIF, randygeki, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  13. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I did not know the Social War. I found these and other resources.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_War_(91–88_BC)
    https://www.unrv.com/empire/social-war.php
    https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spqr/history-5-social-war.htm
    https://www.commandsandcolors.net/a...bc-88-bc/222-xh-social-war-history-v3pdf.html

We easily read ourselves into the history of Rome.

Sulla80 and Severus Alexander like this.
  14. Sulla80

A coin worth owning, even if Caius Marius C. f. Capito was not related to Caius Marius of Arpinum and Sulla had control of Rome by the time it was minted.
    C Marius Capito 81.jpg
    Here's a story you may enjoy from Appian:
    Then Sulla assembled the people and said to them, "Know, citizens, and learn from me, that I caused the death of Lucretius because he disobeyed me." And then he told the following story: "A husbandman was bitten by fleas while ploughing. He stopped his ploughing twice in order to clear them out of his shirt. When they bit him again he burned his shirt, so that he might not be so often interrupted in his work. And I tell you, who have felt my hand twice, to take warning lest the third time fire be brought in requisition."
    - Appian Bellum Civile 1.11.101

Michael Harlan in his book on Moneyers 81-64 BCE wonders if, perhaps, the story might have inspired the coin or the coin inspired the story...

Johndakerftw, TIF, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RR Anon 86 BCE AR Den Apollo Jupiter Quad Sear 266 Craw 350A-2

Draft saved Draft deleted