making silver bars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fisher2, Jul 30, 2009.

1. fisher2

fisher2 Member

is there a site that sells the differant size molds for them and how would you remove the silver from copper from the 40-90% halfs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You might want to deal with a refinery if you want to get close to pure silver. Here is a site with directions, but I would only want to do it in a lab myself.
    http://www.finishing.com/306/93.shtml

All of the procedures seem to involve heavy use of nitric or sulfuric acids. Would be cheaper and less dangerous to sell the coin silver and buy bullion, then to buy the chemicals and know the purity and such in my opinion.

Jim

4. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Interesting, I just happen to have some silver nitrate and lead nitrate laying around. Maybe I can silver plate some lincolns?

Attached Files:

5. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

TheNoost is going to feast tonight! :eat: :eek:

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I doubt whether it is safe enough or cost effective enough to bother trying. Also, keep in mind that coins are one of the highest and best uses for silver, so in all probability, the coins you melt will be worth more than the blob of metal after you are finished. You are planning to go to a lot of trouble to lose money.

7. desertgem

Noost, where do you get your chemical supplies? Yard sales??:eek: CalOSHA made us get rid of our Lead Nitrate years ago or fill out special forms, etc. Even the lead glazes in ceramics were removed because of the vapors from heat of the kiln.:goofer: Well, you are knowledgeable, so borrow Boss's mask :D

Jim

8. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Accidentally put these in my pocket during highschool 13 or so years ago and was afraid to return them and didn't want to throw them in the trash and pollute. If i I try to plate some coins, I'll don the military double canister mask I have. :) Not sure what to do with the solution afterward, so probably won't happen. How do I get rid of toxic chemicals?

9. desertgem

Usually by paying a big fee to get a Hazardous Disposal company to come and pick it up. Some counties/states have a public one ( which makes a lot of sense where ground water is concerned) at little or no charge.

JIm

10. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

I accidentally put a full chemistry set in my pocket as well. We're so forgetful. :) haha

Draft saved Draft deleted