Mên's Night!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryan McVay, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Finally, after a long stay, either lost in a Polish FedEx location and then found or held up at Polish Customs, the Mên come home to a new family!
    Group Lot Men.jpg

I'm really excited to get these.

The top two are Sept. Sev. types:
    PISIDIA. Antioch. Septimius Severus (193-211). Ae.
    (5,20g, 23mm)
    Obv: IMP SEPT SEV PERT AVG - Radiate head right.
    Rev: ANTIOCH COLONIAE - Mên standing right, with foot on bucranium, holding sceptre and crowning Nike on globe; to left, cock standing left, head right; column to inner right.
    SNG France 1119 var. (legends); cf. Krzyźanowska XIII/15-7.

PISIDIA, Parlais, Septimius Severus (193-211.)
    (4,62g, 22mm)
    Obv.: IMP CAES L S[E]P SEVER P, laureate and cuirassed bust left
    Rev.: (shown) IVL AVG COL PARLAIS, Mên standing right, left foot on bucranium, holding pine cone and sceptre. SNG France 1676-7; SNG von Aulock 8617;​

The lower two coins are bust-types.
    Pisidia, Sagalassos. Ae Pseudo-autonomous (80-100 AD)
    2.65g, 12mm, SNG von Aulock 5162, SNG BnF 1732
    Obv: Draped bust of Athena right. nicely centered with full crest.
    Rev: (shown) Bust of Mên to right, wearing a Phrygian cap with stars, resting on a crescent.

Pisidia, Antioch. Ae Gordian III (238-244 AD) Diassarions
    5.50g, 20mm, SNG France 3 1251; Paris 169; Waddington 3601. Very Rare.
    Obv.: IM[P CAES M ANT] GORDIANIVS AV. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III to right
    Rev.: (shown) [C]OL CE-S ANTICI (sic!)
    S R Draped bust of Mên to right, wearing Phrygian cap with stars, resting on a crescent.
    Note: Although chiped the coins includes extra fine detail on both sides. Gordians full name is on the obv. ​

Friday night! Mên's Night!

Egry, benhur767, ominus1 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Cool coins! I really like the portrait on the bottom right:wideyed:
    One of my favorite Julia Domna provincials:
    IMG_0793.JPG
    Julia Domna (Augusta) Pisidia, Antiochia. AD.193-217. Æ (21mm, 5.20g). IOYΛIA ΔOMNA AVG. Draped bust right, hair in horizontal waves, large bun on back of the head. / ANTIOCH MENCIS COL. Mên standing right, with foot on bucranium, wearing Phrygian cap, holding long sceptre and Nike; behind his shoulders, crescent; at feet, cock standing left. Krzyzanovska II/5; SNG France 1133 (same dies); SNG Copenhagen 39.

4. Ryan McVay

Nice! A similar coin was just auctioned off today. If I had won other lots in this auction I would have taken this one too- I was bidding on some Greek. I don't want to depress you with how low it actually went. But here you go...

Ryro likes this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You might be interested in this thread from last year about Pisidian Antioch and Mên. I have a couple of coins depicting the god from different cities in Pisidia but I believe they were struck at a centralized mint.

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ 21.3 mm, 5.15 g, 7 h.
    Pisidia, Parlais, AD 193-196?
    Obv: IVLIA-DOMNA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: IVL AVG C-OL PARLAIS, Mên standing r., wearing Phrygian cap, left foot on bucranium, holding spear and pinecone; behind his shoulders, crescent.
    Refs: BMC 21.11, 3; SNG von Aulock 5137 (same obv. die).

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman Provincial Æ 35 mm, 26.72 g, 6 h.
    Pisidia, Antioch, AD 238-244.
    Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III, r., seen from rear.
    Rev: COL CAES ANTIOCH, S-R, Mên standing r., wearing Phrygian cap, foot on bucranium, holding sceptre and Victory (standing r., on globe, holding trophy), resting elbow on column; behind his shoulders, crescent; to l., rooster standing, l.
    Refs: RPC VII.2, — (unassigned; ID 3431); Krzyżanowska XXII/94; BMC xix.187, 70.

6. Ryan McVay

Great articles. I, too, notice a lot of similarity in the Parles and Antioch coins.
    I was curious if anyone has composed a list of cities that include Men 9n their coinage? I'd like to try and build a small collection and it would be helpful in understanding the extent of religion's reach.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted