[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #59 (instant giveaway)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM Giveaway #59 (instant giveaway)
    9/10/21: This contest is now CLOSED. Winner was announced in Post #19.

This giveaway is brought to you by my long-ago-eaten cheesteak sammich. Boy howdy, I sure wish I had it in front of me again right about now...!
    1A096B61-01FF-483A-9F59-5392D3A0E2E2.jpeg
    *Cheesesteak sammich not included in giveaway. Sorry.

Can you tell I was hungry when I posted this? Anyhoo...

Hello, and welcome to the latest instant giveaway!

What does that mean? Well, you may be familiar with my regular monthly (-ish) random drawing contests, but the instant giveaways follow more of a quiz format, and they're "instant" in the sense that the contest is over as soon as someone guesses the correct answer. (Or in this case, answers- plural.)

This contest requires correct answers to both of the following questions:

Question 1: what was the first silver coin I found when metal detecting? (Guess the type and date- it was a Philadelphia-mint coin.)

Question 2: what was the first coin from the 1800s I found when metal detecting? (Guess the type and date- it too was a Philadelphia-mint coin.)

The first person to answer both questions correctly will win the prize, and get their choice of one of the prize options below.

You may keep guessing, and post multiple guesses. However, you must wait until at least three other people have posted a guess between each time you post a new guess of your own.

Each of your guesses should include two answers: one for each of the two questions.

Please also specify which prize you would like if you win.

So, what are the prizes? You've got four options, if you win.

Prize A (Ancients category):

Seleucid Empire: bronze Æ13 of Antiochus IV, ca. 175-164 BC, struck at Ake-Ptolemais in Phoenicia
    A Greek bronze from the 2nd century BC.
    [​IMG]

Prize B (World category):

Italy: nickel 50-centesimi of Victor Emmanuel III, 1925-R, smooth edge variety
    Lustrous Choice AU, on the threshold of Mint State. Handsome classical design featuring Aequitas in a four-lion chariot.
    [​IMG]

Prize C (USA category):

Two pre-1930 silver USA quarters (one Barber, one Standing Liberty)
    One of each, dates of my choice. Lower-grade, average circulated examples. The Barber may be Fair to AG. The Standing Liberty should be G-VG or so, and will have a more readable date than the example pictured, though it might have a bit more wear. The coins should not be too dissimilar from the examples below, anyway.
    quarters (2).png

Prize D (Exonumia category):

A full six-piece type set of my custom "Lord" Marcovan elongated coins
    This will consist of one of each of the Lord Marcovan Type 1-5 elongates, including
    both of the Type 1 variants and the rare Type 4, of which only 30 pieces were produced. Thanks to the recent efforts of @ZoidMeister, these have now been published.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

This contest is now open.

Side note/chitchat about my metal detecting finds (you don't need to know any of this for the contest):

Question 1 asks about the first silver coin I found while detecting. This means the first since I began keeping records in 1992, after I got my first modern VLF detector.

I did find at least two silver coins before that, in the 1980s, with an old TR detector, but all of my teenage finds and records were lost when I moved around during my college years. The very first silver coin I found was a dateless Standing Liberty quarter around 1982 or '83, but that one predates my 1992 recordkeeping. So Question 1 regards the first silver coin I found after my current count began 1992.

I did not break into the 1800s with my finds until August of 1993, and that coin is the subject of Question #2.

4. lordmarcovan

Oh- if you’re also a detectorist, after you post your guesses about my finds, feel free to also tell us what your first silver find was, or first pre-1900 find, or oldest coin find. Whatever you like.

@paddyman98 - this means you!

@SensibleSal66 - you too!

Side chitchat about coin roll hunting finds is also fine, if you’re not a detectorist.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:bookworm: :brb: . Where did I see your answers ?
    No clue.:arghh:
    My first Silver was this 1942 Quarter but my next one was this beautiful 1856 3 cent . It was just below an old suspender clip 7 inches down.
    Good luck all .:happy:
    100_0664.jpg 1856 3C-obv-tile.jpg 100_1270.jpg

6. SensibleSal66

It was on fire back in the day . I'm just saying . :happy:
    IMG_20210217_023911312_HDR.jpg

7. lordmarcovan

You're supposed to guess, Sal.

Where did you see my answers? Probably in the old thread I just removed. ;)

(I'll reinstate it after this contest is over.)

That trime is SWEET! Doesn't look dug at all!

Nice suspender clip, too. Kinda fancier than most.

8. SensibleSal66

First was a 1943 Mercury dime . Prize . Standing Liberty please ? :nailbiting:
    Second question: IHC , 1893 ?

9. lordmarcovan

Good guesses, and both were statistically likely, too. But neither one correct, yet.

You may guess again after three other folks have posted their guesses.

I will announce when somebody has made a partially correct guess, so the guessing will get easier as we go along.

But the prize will go to the first who posts both fully-correct answers.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My guess is a mercury dime 1944

11. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Great and generous contest, as always.
    No guesses, just a thanks for being so generous. I didn't even know they made coins back then ;).

12. lordmarcovan

Nope, that's not the answer for Question #1, though a Merc dime often is someone's first silver coin dug, and I've dug a bunch of '40s Mercs, so it's a statistically sound guess. Just not correct in this particular case.

No guess on Question 2?

You may guess again after three other people have guessed.

dwhiz likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I have no idea:hilarious::hilarious:all I have to say is good luck everyone.

dwhiz likes this.
  14. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

I really wish the steak sub was a prize :(.
    You found a 1962 Washington quarter as your first exciting find, and an 1883 5 cent Liberty Head.
    These are completely random guesses, but they are the two most recent finds for my CRH efforts.

dwhiz likes this.
  15. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

No guesses just a thanks for all you do to support this website and the hobby. Good karma on ya.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  16. dano

dano Junior Member

My guesses are:
    1st silver coin: 1956 Washington quarter
    1st 1800's coin: 1899 Barber dime.

17. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

silver coin: 1957 Roosevelt dime

1800s coin: 1875 Indian head cent

I’d be interested in prize B with the Italian silver coin, thanks! :)

18. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Silver coin: 1913 Barber Dime.

The 1800s coin: 1891 Indian Head Cent.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  19. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Coins are forever, steak sandwich is temporary.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

@dano must have found some past old posting somewhere that I forgot to hide.

If not, that’s an eerily accurate sixth sense! :nailbiting:

Fair ‘nuf. Seems somebody did their homework, despite my feeble attempts at covering up the online evidence. ;)

@dano wins his choice of the prizes above.

Here they are. That Washington sure was a beaut, wasn't it? Came out of the ground with luster on it.

2B2E03F6-2A7B-4E59-A943-D30C1CB9C4DA.png

The Barber dime came up on a "cent" signal that was a few inches deep. Deep enough that I thought it might be a Wheat cent. I was floored when it came out of the plug.

7B8D014E-BF69-421F-BA5B-0B5B0EEF211F.png

21. lordmarcovan

But much tastier. Coins tend to be a tad too crunchy.

dwhiz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.