Exonumia: a guide to Lord Marcovan custom elongated coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 24, 2021.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Some of you who have done business with me or won one of my giveaways might have seen some of these, so I thought I would post this for posterity. :)

These are my own custom elongated coins. I had the dies made and coins rolled out by Cindy Calhoun of "Cindy's Cents", who is president of TEC (The Elongated Collectors).

The design is the Scottish clan badge of the Clan Donnachaidh (Robertson). My mother's maiden name was Robertson, which is how I came to have that as my first name.

Few if any folks nowadays use older host coins for elongates, let alone silver, so I thought that would be fun.

Numismatic regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick
    ("lordmarcovan")

Edit: September, 2021: the first five types have now been published, thanks to the efforts of our own good @ZoidMeister.

Here are the types:

Elongate-Type1-2019-Wheatie.png

Elongate-Type2-2019-Merc10c.png

Elongate-Type3-2020-IHC.png

Elongate-Type4-2020-Wheatie.png

Elongate-Type5-2020-Barber10c.png

Elongates-Set.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My Lord, do you have a method in ensuring that the design details are still evident on the non-pressed side of the coin?

I do a lot of cent rollers every place I do, and it's a real crapshoot on whether or not I can retain details on the end result.

I've gone extremely fast, extremely slow, and normal, and I've never seen on method work better or worse on Zincolns.

4. hotwheelsearl

Also, do you know if a dime will fit in the slot of a regular roller machine (IE one you find at an amusement park?)
    I haven't been anywhere with a machine for a while (covid...) but could I toss a regular dime into the slot and expect a result?

5. lordmarcovan

I don't, particularly since I don't do the rolling myself- the contractor does. She (Cindy Calhoun) does offer some color treatments- a kind of stain- to make the design stand out better, but as I recall, I did not opt for those. I do think I had the Type 1 Wheat cents cleaned first, if I remember correctly.

In any event, you never want to use Zincolns for elongating. You need good pre-1982 copper cents for best results. Zinc cents are no good, because the zinc core will show through in spots when the thin copper plating is rolled out and stretched.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

That's a good question. I've never tried it. Cindy would know. Ask her (there's a link to her website above.)

7. hotwheelsearl

Thanks! I try to pick the shiniest Zincoln I have on hand, but considering the deleterious effect of the plague of zinc rot... maybe i'll "invest" in copper cents.

8. hotwheelsearl

Now I'm thinking about consigning a of Roman AE3's to the machine. Oh boy.

9. lordmarcovan

Nooo! :nailbiting:

LOL

Wouldn’t work, anyway. Too thick. And they would crumble. Trust me- she had enough trouble out of my cull Indian cents, and those were only 110-150 years old! Several broke, I am told.

But you could use some common Wheaties, like I did.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

Speaking of crumbling.... apparently on accidentally dropped an ancient of some sort into the garbage disposal. A few spins later, I fished out brittle chunks of bronze. Ouch

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Ancient coins and garbage disposals were never intended to meet.

Best to keep ALL your coins away from that!

12. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

awww come on... throw in a few sos pads and 1/2 a bottle of draino and you'll have all those dirty coins in MS condition in minutes :D (((hides)))

dwhiz, ZoidMeister and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

There will be a Type 6 run in 2023. They will be rolled on Buffalo nickels.

dwhiz and masterswimmer like this.
  14. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

May I suggest a $3 princess for a special prize. Please consider this as the only entry for the contest.:D

dwhiz and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted