Looks like spitting eagle 1967

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

This Washington Quarter has an area where the typical spit line and the neck that appears to have been polished too much. It is hollowed out and the left side follows a similar line as with the "spit". I'd like some experienced feedback. Thanks. 1967 Wash Die mark at eagle beak.jpg

Kelly Capone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What ya got right now is inexperienced feedback......I don't see a blasted thing other than a well worn coin. Enlighten the unenlightened.........

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Inspector43

The area left and below the neck, above the wing and the imaginary line where most "spitting eagles" have their spit. It looks like it is hollowed out from, perhaps, too much polishing. I am not trying to declare it anything other than a what is this. I couldn't just spend it without getting some second guesses. Thanks.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Pay no attention to me Inspector...........I'm ornery, and mean, and over my limit. Hopefully someone most knowledgeable will indulge shortly. As for me, I'm off to bed..........

Inspector43 and Autoturf like this.
  6. Inspector43

Have a good nights sleep. I'm up too late and probably seeing things.

green18 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The only reason that your 1967 quarter and the 1982 quarter posted by @TeaMack would be called a "Spitting Eagle" is to enable you to sell it to an idiot because ordinary die cracks (like this) are as common as horse dung.

Chris

TeaMack likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Disagree. There are more 1932-Ds in AU50 condition graded then all of the graded spitting eagles combined. The clash on an MS coin is rather significant and markedly noticeable compared to a regular quarter. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/3480/Spitting-eagle-1983-P-quarter/

10. cpm9ball

If NGC is willing to take money for this stupid attribution, then why don't they accept money for the MA SQ "Pissing Minuteman"?

Chris

Edited for typo. It should be MA SQ, not PA SQ.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. Seattlite86

That’s a great question for NGC.

12. cpm9ball

I don't think so! It's still a stupid die crack.

FWIW, I was an active member of the NGC Collectors Society when the MA SQ was first posted on their forums in 2000, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why NGC declined to attribute it.

Chris

13. Inspector43

I would hazard to guess that 99% of the posts on this site involve coins that have no significant additional value to anyone but the finder. "Ordinary Die Cracks" do dominate the posting. I used a common term "spitting eagle" only to draw attention to the area I questioned. Also, note that the post was in the "coin chat" section. That's where people talk about stuff and ask questions. If you want to make the postings "idiot proof" the rules need to be changed to only permit posting of coins known to have a recognized, certifiable condition or attribute.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks can be deceiving. :)

15. cpm9ball

If I commented on every die crack that was posted on these forums, I wouldn't even have time to brush my teeth. However, like the people who believe that copper pennies should be hoarded in the event that pennies are no longer produced by the Mint, I feel compelled to comment on "specialty" coins such as this just to keep the scales balanced for the newcomers to the hobby who are still learning. No disrespect is intended toward anyone except the fool who came up with this stupid attribute.

Chris

16. TeaMack

TeaMack New Member

I do appreciate all of the information you all give me on here. And I do understand completely where you're coming from! I mostly post things like this on forums because I'd like to know if you all see what I see. I am very new to this so I have not seen many examples of common things like die cracks in person. Most of the errors and other interesting things I have found have no extra value, and I am totally okay with that! I was just glad to be able to learn enough to identify what it was! I mostly keep them for future reference. I know there is a lot to learn with this hobby, that's why I love it so much!

17. TeaMack

TeaMack New Member

I found a 73 quarter with this type of die crack yesterday, so I'm beginning to see that it is more common than I initially thought! But I can say now that my eyes can spot die cracks much easier now than when I started, so that's a win to me!

18. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

It does look like what they call a spitting eagle. It even caries over the wing

19. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Pretty sure it says in the rules you can't be rude to someone on here. I was told by someone else on this site that this is the section to post questions. If someone can't be civil they shouldn't respond.

Draft saved Draft deleted