Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

green18, Jwt708, BRandM and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

old49er likes this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

PaddyB here is the other one that was generally passed out with Woodsy,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the reverse of this one you can see the Depts of the US Government that would give these out at fete's, festivals,fairs and outdoor type shows. Smokey the Bear has been around a long time Woodsy not as long.

old49er, green18, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  5. Swan

Swan A millon dollars short of being a millionaire

Got this at Disney World in 1971-1972.
    IMG_0248 (2).JPG IMG_0249.JPG

green18, Jwt708, old49er and 6 others like this.
  6. Circus

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

stratford dollar - train 1-horz.jpg IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1122.JPG New token and new toys

green18, longnine009, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Van Diemen's Land token. Not in the greatest shape, but it was real cheap. Thing was black and stunk to high heaven with some kind of diesel / oil odor but a soak for a couple days in acetone cleared that up.

Van Dieman s Land Half penny 1855 obverse.JPG
    Van Dieman s Land Half penny 1855 reverse.JPG

green18, dwhiz, longnine009 and 5 others like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I really like the die break on this one.
    IMG_0005_1.JPG IMG_0004_1.JPG

green18, old49er, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

A pickup over the summer. It's a 2011 commemorative from the Bank of Albania, for 85 years of a national currency.

[​IMG]

and the original coin:
    [​IMG]

chrisild, green18, old49er and 6 others like this.
  11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

PaddyB likes this.
  12. BRandM

old49er likes this.
  13. Swan

Swan A millon dollars short of being a millionaire

Haha. I wonder how many people know what that is.

14. PaddyB

I take it you mean in Cocktail parlance? Not some new piece of Cockney Rhyming slang? :oops:

15. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I did the google on this one it came up from a 2015 auction along with another one that sold for $400.+ Don't know which one was worth more, being a ways east of the left coast Mich, it end up in the 50% off bargain bin marked at $4.00

16. BRandM

No Paddy, I was just looking at the reverse of the token where it listed the different brands(?) of pens they made. I was commenting on what I thought was an interesting name for a pen. But I'll have a cocktail too...before dinner :)

Bruce

17. PaddyB

Ah right! I couldn't work out why you had picked the Rob Roy at first so I went looking for a hidden meaning (I am like that!). I thought at first it might be a euphemism for something else but then I tracked down the Rob Roy cocktail - a Manhattan but made with Scotch Whisky instead of Bourbon, so I assumed you meant that. Turns out I was wrong on all counts.
    Cheers!

BRandM likes this.
  18. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Found this info on the net from a listing of the Victoria Museum Collections:

"Mule Token - Halfpenny, R. Josephs, New Town Toll Gate, Newtown, Tasmania, Australia, 1855
    Summary
    This copper Halfpenny mule token was minted by W.J. Taylor of London. It was issued by R. Josephs of Newtown, Tasmania, circa 1855. Transported to Australia in 1827 Josephs, gained his certificate of freedom in 1841. In 1852 he won the tender to operate the New Town toll gate for three years. It was during this time that he issued his trade tokens, known as 'Toll Gate' tokens, which would have enabled him to profit from giving change to people passing through his gate.

Previous Collections: George McArthur"

Muzyck likes this.
  19. BRandM

No problem, Paddy. I actually don't like Scotch Whisky or Bourbon so I was only kidding about having a Rob-Roy before dinner. Now bring a bottle of Crown Royal to my house and you can stay for dinner.

Cheers to you too!

Bruce

PaddyB, Jwt708 and green18 like this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Yes, based on what I have read, "Van Diemen's Land" was what European settlers called what is now know as Tasmania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Diemen's_Land

Other info indicates that there was a shortage of small denomination currency available in Australia at the time that lead to a large number of token issues. I have another token dated 1855 that uses "Tasmania". See this post...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lets-see-your-exonumia.203005/page-363#post-2907752

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  21. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jukebox test token

Draft saved Draft deleted