Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

Those are Finefeathered Tasmanian Sharkmincers, by the way. :eek::chicken:

By the way, that's a grand-looking coin! :cigar:

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

Where else could you possibly have this much fun! :woot:

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Saw these beasts and couldn't resist...

Tasmania Half Cent 1855 obverse 40pct.jpg
    Tasmania Half Cent 1855 reverse 40pct.jpg

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for the information, Paddy. They would be interesting to collect and research. I wasn't aware of these before.

Bruce

6. BRandM

Thanks for the pics, Bill. The second stamp does look a bit "blacksmithy" so you never know. I like those old style stamps very much, even though they're very difficult to identify.

Bruce

7. BRandM

Nice group, Paddy. Do you know if the John Howard piece is considered a Conder Token, or does it predate that series. I like the Conders because they remind me very much of the Hard Times Tokens here in the U.S., though a bit earlier.

The misspelling on the one and the hole on the second token doesn't bother me. Errors in spelling, striking, etc. add character to a piece. Damage, such as a hole, are more troubling, but yours isn't particularly distracting. Overall a nice group of tokens, Paddy.

Bruce

8. BRandM

I picked this counterstamp off of eBay several days ago. Both sides are actually overstruck on a Canadian Half Dollar. The undertype is apparent, but the date is mostly obscured.

The East Detroit Coin Club issued a lot of exonumia over the years. Some pieces are very well done like this example and two other similarly overstruck half dollars issued previous to this one. Unfortunately, some of their struck medals have a low quality look to them, and aren't particularly attractive. The club folded a number of years ago.

Bruce E Detroit CC 1.JPG E Detroit CC 2.JPG

9. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Thanks for this @BRandM . Yes, the John Howard would be considered a Conder token as I understand it. It is listed in the new Withers book under Somerset as No: 36.

All three are actually a tangent to my main collection and I cannot afford to hang on to everything, so they are now on Ebay UK for sale, along with other Conder tokens and others I have picked up along the way.

BRandM likes this.
  10. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tea Plantation pickers token

11. BRandM

Thanks for the information, Paddy. I'll have to get the reference book on Conder Tokens one of these days. I don't collect them, but have always had an interest in the series. Thanks again.

Bruce

12. BRandM

I've seen these tokens before, Circus, and like them. Do you know if the denomination denotes a monetary value, or a quantity of tea. Nice simple design, but attractive in its own way.

Bruce

Circus likes this.
  13. Circus

Like you I have seen this type on here and other forums. I guess the plantation tokens from each location has its own value depending on whether the plantation has it's own company store or workers get paid in cash. I believe this one is from Ceylon or other near by country.

14. Circus

15. PaddyB

Bovril 1.jpg Bovril 2.jpg Hinks token 1.jpg Hinks token 2.jpg
    Just a couple of interesting tokens I picked up a few weeks ago and finally got round to looking at!

16. Circus

[​IMG]
    And before any one not familiar with the American Indian symbol for good luck, before it was corrupted by the nazi's. Get their knickers in a knot. know that it was used up until the late 1930's on the stock reverses of good luck tokens.
    [​IMG]

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes, before Hitler corrupted it, it was a very common symbol.

[​IMG]

18. PaddyB

Somebody was after a token with George III on it from 1788 (Australia?). This is the closest I have got:
    1789 Medallion 1.jpg 1789 Medallion 2.jpg
    I assume this was his restoration from one of his bouts of (apparent) madness, which they now put down to Porphyria I believe.

19. atariguy

atariguy Member

I have collected various arcade, bus, and parking tokens over the years. But I'm not sure they're terribly interesting to look at compared to what I've seen here. :)

old49er likes this.
  20. PaddyB

I found this in one of my "don't know what to do with it" boxes. I hope someone from the other side of the pond can tell me all about it?
    Woody 1.jpg Woody 2.jpg

21. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

I remember this guy.:)

dwhiz, Pickin and Grinin and Stork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted