Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

set of earings, a key chain an a bronze medallion...

Picture 418.jpg Picture 303.jpg Picture 387-horz.jpg

49ers, longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not a counterstamp, as said, graffiti.

Somewhat common on US large cents

4. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Chillicothe, Ohio is a little east of Cincinnati and is the location of the Great Snake Mound and other mound builders earthworks. They were a pre-Columbian people who inhabited the area.

Eng likes this.
  5. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

That's for Eng.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share my excitement...but I've got a batch of tokens headed my way including an unlisted Luke AFB token! Maybe someone should start a thread...It's in the Mail...

longnine009, green18, BRandM and 3 others like this.
  7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I've heard that one before, Jack.:D

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. Scubafuel

Scubafuel New Member

Melted coin slag. I purchased this from a man who said it'd been passed down in his family from the 1906 SF fire. The remains of a cash box. The silver melted, but the nickels did not (and neither did the screw). Pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revi, kazuma78, longnine009 and 9 others like this.
  9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Wow that one nice find. I don't think that there many items like this Today.

longnine009 likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's pretty neat!

11. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

I think it's unique and very cool, to me it looks like a cannon. I like this a lot

12. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

Nice silver proof with gold toning around the edge and starting to spread through the leaves which gives it the season of Fall time. housetonefrt.JPG houseoneback.JPG around the home .

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

These two are in the mail. Pictures are courtesy of the eBay seller exocoin however I combined the images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kotzebue Air Force Station, Alaska. Opened as a radar station in 1958 and essentially deactivated in 1983, though the site still has a radar station, it's no longer manned.

I don't have my Cunningham reference with me (currently "deployed" to Spain) - can you guys believe I left home without it? :eek: I almost brought them with me.:D Anyway...I think these round out my brass Kotzebue collection. If I remember correctly there's a five cent, ten cent, twenty five cent, and dollar token...right? If so, I have them all and if not then I need whatever else is listed. I also have two aluminum Kotzebue tokens - a twenty five cent and I think five cent. Those are unlisted so I don't know how many possible types exist in aluminum.

BRandM, dwhiz, Circus and 2 others like this.
  14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes 5, 10, 25, $1.00. The 5c is AK420a.
    The $1.00 is AK420d in brass and AK420e in aluminum. The $ is the only one shown in brass or aluminum.

Nice pickups Jack. :)

Jwt708 likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks longnine! So it's only the $ aluminum listed? Pretty sure I have a 25c and I know I have the 5c (scan makes it look awful, in hand it's quite nice):

[​IMG]

I made a list of all my tokens and I was in a hurry and only put their Cunningham number. I made the list because I'm buying a former Air Force token collectors remaining collection and he asked for a list. Wish I would have taken the extra time and put the denominations in. I called the two unlisted Kotzebue aluminum tokens down as AK420F & AK420H. I think the H is a 25c. It only stands to reason that the 10c exists if there's a 5, 25, and dollar like the brass.

That reminds me...I need to update my list! Don't want to get behind!

longnine009, green18, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  16. longnine009

$1.00 is the only one listed but it makes sense that there would be others
    including 10c.

jello likes this.
  17. BRandM

Makes you feel good when you complete a series, Jack. Congrats and thanks for the history of Kotzebue.

How long are you going to be in Spain, Jack?

Bruce

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I won't be here very long Bruce, heading home in a few weeks.

Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't put much effort into the historical write up on Kotzebue, I just wanted to hit the basics of when it was opened and "closed." I'm writing up a slightly more detailed and hopefully entertaining history of my next derelict base and I'm trying to be like those ancient guys and the great posts they put out there. These tokens speak to me on a couple levels and I want to share with the rest of CoinTalk why I'm so enthusiastic about these little guys. Although...I may be shooting myself in the foot...don't want to get too many people interested...because then I have more to bid against. And while I'm at it...who keeps bidding me up on tokens from Alaska?!:banghead:

19. BRandM

It ain't me, Jack. No counterstamps in Alaska.:D

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I am actually really interested in who else is collecting what I'm after. According to my "guy" dealers are...or were bidding up his tokens for resell. Cunningham wrote his book by State to cater to people who were collecting by state. So is that what others do, collect tokens by state?

Because you know, you start bidding on something and it becomes "yours" and then someone else comes around and "takes" it away. Haha! Ah...it's frustrating.

21. longnine009

It's not me Jack. I hardly ever bid on domestic issues. And I've been so disgusted with the pickings on ebay I haven't even looked at anything for months now. :(

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted