Legend or thread for abbreviations, acronyms, etc?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NYandW, Sep 27, 2016.

1. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Rather then newer folks posting questions such as: "What does BWC mean?" or "what is a bean?", "What does PLF stand for"?, PMD, WDDR's, etc.. is there a reference page, FAQ, or legend to go to? Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

What does FAQ mean? ;)

smarch likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That could have been taken the wrong way!
    Lmaof

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

(...)
    FAQ = Females Asking Questions
    (edited, language)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

7. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Thank you dddd. I was perhaps referring to the more "insider" use of phrases here. I took me three inquiries to find out about "bean" last week as the joker/trolls love to taunt. Endeavor: Thanks for the help (...) Flame proof jacket just donned... Perhaps I'm wasting time here, yours and mine...Sad
    (edited, language)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Bean = CAC sticker (or some other 4th party verification of a third party grader)

If you have any other specific examples @NYandW I'll do my best to define them here.

9. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Thank you again, dddd. That's what I meant above: 3 posts to get the answer you just provided with ridicule/or "Endeavor" like answers as posted previous. Thus my SAA award... I think we both should move on, thank you again... It's a hobby and should be relaxing, but dealing with the "clowns" is tiring as I've been doing it since 1998 on my railroad website, just for example. Best, Steve

ddddd likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Error ref. has a few, possible answers to the abbreviations used.

11. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do a Glossary of terms somewhere on here. Maybe @GDJMSP can add it to his Numismatic Resources page.

ddddd likes this.
  12. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Exactly my thought. Thus when "bean" questions come up, just link the poster to this resource, rather then eat bandwidth and let the trolls out of their dens.

Hommer and ddddd like this.
  13. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I wasn't ridiculing or taunting you. I'm sorry if your self-esteem is so low that the first thing you think of is that was directed at you. I suggest you try to not think that everyone is taunting you, especially when they're not. I saw an opportunity to act like my usual clown self and took it. Whoever started the thread was irrelevant to me. If my clowning bothers you may I suggest you use the ignore feature on me.

Oh boo-whoo-whoo. Dude seriously, grow a pair. You make it seem like it's a tragedy. :joyful:

14. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

You assume it is self-esteem... Perhaps being the "self proclaimed clown" is lost on those of us that ask a legit question and get a BSA =BS answer. Just wanted a direct answer, rather then your nonsense. I'll leave this to others. Note: The first real personnel comment/attack here was your "self-esteem" above, not me.

Oh boo-whoo-whoo. Dude seriously, grow a pair. You make it seem like it's a tragedy. :joyful: Just a reply and you get rude... Bye, You guys decide

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Trains did someone say Trains BRW 60.jpg

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

PMD is a acronym used many times on this site.
    PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Or
    PSD - Post Strike Damage
    They both mean.. Not an error coin!

Jwt708 likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

So are we saying that we need a glossary to access the index page in or:rolleyes:der to find links on the reference page?

20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Feel free to make one and add it there yourself any time you wish to do so ;)

upload_2016-9-28_11-3-9.png

It's hiding, in plain sight. Count down 4 from the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted