Leave Original Mint Packaging?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Fifty, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

I ordered some Canadian Palladium Maples and they came in the orginal sealed plastic from the mint. The packaging has the Royal Canadian Mint Logo on it. Should I leave them in the packaging? I bought some airtites to put them in but I'm wondering if the packaging may give me higher resale value.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've always been a fan of OGP (original government packaging) and feel that it adds value to whatever it is you hold.....but there are many here who would dispute me. Some will tell you that the packaging material will cause the coin to tone pre-maturely. Others will tell you that if you want to add future value to your coin get it "slabbed".

I say let her be. :smile

4. imswiss

imswiss Junior Member

It is best not to remove the covering not only for scratches but also because the coin has more value. I did the stupid mistake of removing the package off several 2009 1$ coins and they already have scratches.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Keep as original as possible, Thats always your best bet!!

6. chridular

chridular Member

Well, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I will chime in on this one and say that I agree with Green. Any time I buy bullion I prefer that they come in the original mint packaging. Let's see what some of the other members here have to say about this.
    :smile

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

buy direct from the u.s.mint only. keep everything clean and neat. i don't buy anything without complete and original. i don't buy slabbed coin. and i don't slab them.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I dont remove them unless I need too.

9. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Elaine
    I have seen you post this reply before. Please tell me, how is he supposed to be able to get a Canadian Palladium Maple from the U.S. Mint?

10. Aennedry

Aennedry Junior Member

I had been wondering the same as Fifty. I have four Canadian silver half ounce wolves in the RCM plastic packing. I had been wondering if I should take them out and put them in airtites or leave them. So from what I have read so far, it seems that I should leave them be.
    =^._.^=

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, so far it's been mostly us Yanks talkin'. :smile I'd be interested to see what more of our Canadian brethren think.

12. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I do think it's best to leave them in the original packaging if for anything else, it adds a bit more assurance there hasn't been any tampering or the coin is not fake. Bullion buffs come this way too and I always leave them in the mint plastic.

13. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I would probably leave them in the original packaging as well, to prevent any unnecessary scratches, and the rumour is that original packaging speeds up some nice toning.
    How about a picture so we can see what your situation looks like. ;)

14. Timm129

Timm129 Junior Member

I'll put about half in air tites and leave the other half in the original package.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Certainly sounds like a fair question to me. :D

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Not always and you should know better, sometimes knowing when to get something graded increases its value. You submit notes for grading all the time don't you?

17. krispy

krispy krispy

If it helps any, I've left Chinese Pandas in their original plastic sealed bags and they are usually sealed in capsules inside of that. Both gold and silver have toned from the late 80s early/90s to today, while those not kept sealed did not tone as readily. Due to the Chinese Pandas forming copper-spots no the surface suspected to be from impurities and poor manufacturing conditions, I have sold all of my Panda coins to be free of those problems.

Whatever the OP decides to do, the environmental conditions of where you live and how/where you store your coins will have an impact. Humidity, plastics, atmospheric gases, many things have an effect. Airtites and Intercept shield protectors tend to be very suitable for protection and prevention from outside elements effecting your coin more rapidly than if left in questionable materials or in the raw.

With all of that said, I cannot say how palladium coins tone or not over time. Canadian Palladium Maples are .9995 pure, so there is some other compositional metal present that may also react/tone over time.

And I too would like to have Elaine's sources at the US Mint if she's actually able to get Canadian Palladium Maples via the US Mint. :eating:

18. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Have you had any trouble with older Chinese Panda's and the packaging? I've heard the plastic used back when the 1-oz coin was denominated at 100 Yn would degrade and leave a goo on the coin.

19. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

My only concern would be if the plastic caused pvc damage to the coin.

20. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Unless I have a place to fill in a Danco Album, I leave the coins in the same packaging I purchase them in.

I am especially fond of hand written notes on the cardboard holders. It sort of gives me an appreciation for the former collector of the coin.

21. coinsider007

coinsider007 gold digger

always keep original package, box and c.o.a.

Draft saved Draft deleted