Kookaburra collecting

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Oct 9, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Who collects Perth Mint Kookaburras?

I do like the designs quite a bit. I also like that they change each year. I also like that they come in capsules. What I don't like is that they are often 20-25% over spot. Ouch.

However, for whatever reason Provident Metals had them for only $1 over spot (about 5%) this weekend only. At this price, you are basically buying bullion. Did anyone manage to buy any?

Who collects these? Anyone have a full set to date?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

I don't collect Kooks but I do enjoy the designs and the series as a whole. My Perth Mint collection are the Lunar Series :)

4. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

If I was to collect silver bullion they would be pretty high on my list.

5. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

There was a short period of time where I snagged some older kooks to fill in the early years, but for the most part I only buy year of issue since that's the best way to get them close to spot. As a semi-numismatic play I like how they appreciate over time, but I'm not losing sleep over an incomplete set. The designs, love em.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I buy them for the kids as they want them. I too have gotten some older years on bullion purchases over the years accidentally. I think my kids own 5 or 6. Nice coins, but unfortunate that like all GB related coins, effectively one sided.

7. BSquared

BSquared New Member

New guy here!

FWIW, I do enjoy both the Kook's and Koala's, and do pick up some of the earlier dates when I can find them at a decent price Yes, I do understand that the premium can be a choker, especially on some early issues, but I like the designs.

I'm primarily a bullion type of collector but for me, ASE's, Roo's and Maples, etc. get boring fast.

8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I have all of the 1oz Kookaburras, including at least one 10oz. I buy the 1oz consistently every year and will continue to do so. Coincidentally, my 2020 just arrived in the mail last week. The Kooks remain my favorite yearly bullion piece. I also happen to like Kookaburras (the animal) quite a bit, which helps.

myownprivy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted