Just received grades from PCGS (8 Reales varieties)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RomanTheRussian, Jul 14, 2016.

1. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Turn-around times aside, a decent bunch of newps to add to my primary sets.

One disappointment was the 1811-HJ/TH variety that I have been hunting for a while and I thought that I finally got my hands on a problem-free condition (currently in a straight-graded NGC holder), but PCGS seems to disagree, citing old cleaning. I'll resubmit this coin back to NGC to update the label with proper variety designation and will continue the hunt for another example.

#1 - Mexico 1802 Mo-FT/M over-assayer in XF45. Picked it up raw from Jesus Vico last year. Nice original XF example and the first one certified by PCGS. Fills a registry slot in my Charles IV Set (http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=98849 )

[​IMG]

#2 - Mexico 1811 Mo-HJ Draped Bust in XF45. Years ago when I first started dating my soon-to-be-wife, I gave her this coin as a present and she kept it carefully preserved all these years. With the wedding in just a few weeks, I thought it would be nice to get it preserved in something more durable than a napkin ;) As an added bonus, it fits nicely in my Ferdinand VII Draped Bust Set (http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=98850 )

[​IMG]

#3 and #4 are both Mexico 1801 Mo-FT/M over-assayers. Both were picked-up in unattributed NGC plastic. Both graded AU53 (one crossed at the same grade, one downgraded as expected). I already own an AU50 example as part of my set that will now be replaced by the second one below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 is the 1811 Mo-HJ/TH that did not cross. Would love to hear your opinion on it. First image is by Phil @ PCGS, second is from Heritage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decent bunch, overall. 2 new registry slots filled and one upgrade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

4. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Very nice group Roman.

RomanTheRussian likes this.
  5. RomanTheRussian

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Hi Roman, that XF 45 1811 deserves a star imho for eye appeal , and it seems napkins are a great safekeep for these 8R coins.

Seattlite86 and RomanTheRussian like this.
  7. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

8. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I like all of the coins but can see that the first one might have been cleaned. I don't see anything in the image though that should have prevented it from straight grading.

Also, though it's a personal preference, I don't see any advantage to crossing world coins from NGC to PCGS. I am aware that PCGS for US material sells for more but never heard it for Spanish colonial.

9. RomanTheRussian

01mikep likes this.
  10. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Roman,
    That is quite an impressive group of 8 reales that anyone would be envious of. Congratulations.

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

You have a nice set of 8 Reales of Fernando VII! nice accomplishment.
    I see you concentrate on coins minted at the Mexico mint. I lack any from that mint, but do have quite a few for Santiago.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All lovely coins, I like #1 & #2 best.

13. RomanTheRussian

Thanks, guys!

@Eduard I'd love to see some of your Santiago pieces! I narrowed my focus quite a bit over the last 5-6 years, but i did start with any and every 8 Reales. Now i'm trying to assemble a complete variety run for Mexico City portraits (1772-1821). Quite a ways to go, yet, but you can see it here:

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/Showcase.aspx?sc=478

Eduard likes this.
  14. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Wow Roman! Nice work.

15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Roman, you really do have a most amazing collection of Mexico Mint 8 reales.
    Incredible dedication!

Here are some of my Santiago pieces. I collect all denominations, both colonial and early republican.
    Issues for Fernando VI and Carlos III are much scarcer than those of Carlos IV and Fernando VII. and of course the Santiago mint 'Dos-Mundos' types struck between the years 1751 and 1770 are the scarcest issues by far with only approx. 65 coins known for all years combined (about half of that number for 2 years alone).

Interestingly, silver issues, of all denominations, specially in grades of VF and above (for Carlos III), are generally scarcer than the gold issues.

8 Reales Carlos III, 1787. Santiago mint.
    Santiago 8 Reales 1787-Obv - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 8 Reales 1787-Rev - 1_opt.jpg

8 Reales Fernando VII, 1810. Santiago mint.
    Santiago 8 Reals 1810-Obv - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 8 Reals 1810-Rev2 - 1.jpg

8 Reales Carlos IV, 1801, Santiago mint.
    Santiago 8 Reals 1801-Obv - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 8 Reals 1801-Rev - 1_opt.jpg

RomanTheRussian and 01mikep like this.
  16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A few more Santiago mint coins, all of them 2 reales. Santiago 2 Reales 1810 - Obv - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 2 Reales 1810 - Rev - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 2 Reales 1791 - Obv - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 2 Reales 1791 - Rev - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 2 Reales 1803 -Obv  - 1_opt.jpg Santiago 2 Reales 1803 -Rev - 1.jpg

RomanTheRussian and 01mikep like this.
  17. RomanTheRussian

@Eduard those are wonderful examples of a Santiago mint! I love the 1810 pair especially. Always considered that to be the best looking Fernando VII portrait. Thank you for sharing it!

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted