8 Reales Spanish Empire and Peninsulars for all

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by moneditis, Jan 19, 2015.

1. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

No Worries, John :);)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

4. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

5. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Awesome coins. Almost makes me want to collect them. I'll stick to my pirate versions :D completely Overstruck Bank tokens of England and Ireland 1804. The English token show much details of the undertype including the date 1808.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dominica 1-1/2 bits a plug cut from an 8 Reales
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    British Honduras 6 shilling 1d - it was pointed out to me on another forum by an expert that there are numerous flaws in the reverse. It turned out that it's a terminal die state. Which makes it that little bit more interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

7. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

8. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

9. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

10. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

11. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

12. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

ex Roman 8R collection
    freed from his tomb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

Moneditis - you will like my new book when its released. A lot of Material Analysis and XRF data. Hopefully my interpretations won't be too outlandish.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

15. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Thank you Colonialjohn. Let me know when book is published.
    Quantitative or semiquantitative (pattern) XRFs?

16. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

17. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

18. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

Shipwreck Treasure coins! 8 real and two 4 real Spanish colonial cobs minted in Mexico probably 1720ies. The coins come from the Dutch merchant ship Akerendam which were on its way to Batavia (today's Jakarta, Indonesia). It was loaded with numerous chests of coins. During a storm in March 1725 it got lost in a storm and wrecked on the shore of Runde Island on the west coast of Norway. The wreck was discovered by sports divers in 1972 and 57 thousand coins were brought up including 10 thousand New World silver cobs (no gold) and almost 6 thousand gold ducats (mostly uncirculated 1724). 400 different varieties were found including 15 types that were unknown at the time

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

The US silver dollar and its heritage from the Spanish Empire. The cob pesos and later the milled pesos or Pieces of Eight were one of the influences behind the establishment of the US mint in 1792 and the US silver dollar. Spanish silver dollars and other foreign coins were actually legal tender in the US as late as 1857 due to the popularity of these coins and the lack of enough domestic US currency. After the Coinage Act of 1857 only domestic US coins were legal tender and lead also to the discontinuation of the half cent and large cent. The penny was also reduced in size by introducing the Flying Eagle Cent

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

21. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Shipwreck coin. Wanted something beat up from the bottom of the sea that did not need to be handled with care. This fit the bill.

Bolivia COb both reflection.jpg
    1653 (8 Reales) Bolivia AR Cob

BOLIVIA, Colonial as Alto Peru Felipe IV. King of Spain, 1621-1665. Cob AR 8 Reales (35mm, 19.13 g, 4h). Potosi mint. Dated 1653-E. Crowned coat-of-arms / Crowned Pillars of Hercules; [crown above]. ME 6472; Calico 437; KM 21. Fine, sea salvaged. ex CNG 377 6/29/16

Draft saved Draft deleted