Just purchased this Platinum beauty as a Christmas gift for my mother

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Sallent, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Recently I purchased a silver maple leaf for my son. He showed it to my mother and he told me she mentioned how she really wanted a coin bearing the Queen's image too as she was a big fan of the Queen. Took a little shopping around, but finally came across a coin I thought was nice with a portrait I know she will love.

Purchased this beauty today from JM Bullion. It is very unusual at 1/3 ounce platinum (you really don't see much fractional platinum today), but with platinum being so low lately, and this being an unusual coin with lower mintage, I figured it would make a nice Christmas gift for her, and one with the potential to appreciate in value in the future if nothing else because of the metal content (even if this penguin coin never commands a collectable premium).

Now I just got to resist the temptation to give it to her before Christmas.

penguin2018third.jpg penguin2018third2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Good looking coin. First time I've ever seen 1/3 oz. piece for
    any metal. Very unusual.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea, Nice looking coin! :happy:

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

on the fraction, I have never seen a 1/3 OZ coin, it almost defies logic…LOL

tibor likes this.
  6. Sallent

Yeah, it does, which is one of the first things that called my attention. I was looking for a 1/2 ounce Britannia or something of that sort, but then saw 1/3 and it made me pause and take a look. I think it's sharming, being an oddball like that. And unlike the Britannias which get minted year after year, this was a one time low mintage special edition that won't be re-struck ever again.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Sallent Very lovely coin. For some reason my eldest son (43) has a love affair for penguins. My ex was buying him penguin themed gifts for a few years, but I stayed away from it until this year. It would be really nice if you could find a protective holder that would not damage the coin but could support a chain so she could show it off.

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Definitely special and unique :)

9. Sallent

Look at what just arrived. I have to look for a presentation box for it, but yeah, it's nice

20221015_201557.jpg 20221015_201615.jpg

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s a good looking coin. Your mom will be proud….. I bet you could buy one of those earring gift boxes from a jeweler as a presentation box.

Draft saved Draft deleted