Junk silver: best buy

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Sep 28, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

In your own opinions, what are the smartest junk silver buys?

Some factors come to mind:

Why halves are better:
    Is it correct that half dollars contain more silver, on average, due to less circulation, on average, compared to quarters and dimes?
    Simpler storage due to smaller numbers

Why dimes are better:
    More quantity. So if able to purchase $1 face of dimes at the same cost as a dollar face of quarters you have more quantity to resell

Why quarters are better:
    Because the Standing Liberty looks nice? I can't think of any reason why quarters make sense.

What are your thoughts?

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I like Franklins. Looks to me like they stood up well to even moderate circulation, and like you mention, a lot of them didn't circulate for too long, thus not much wear. I'm no big stacker, I love numismatic coins too much, but I like to pick nice Franklins out of the "junk" can.

4. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of 90% in the early 2000's. I don't think of it as junk. Because I am a collector first, I decided to build roll sets instead of just having a bunch of mixed stuff. I completed the Roosies and Franklins and was close to finishing the Washingtons when I sold most all of them because I needed money for a house.
    Honestly, I don't miss having those rolls at all. I should sell the '55 Franklins while there is still a premium now that I think about it.
    Now I seperate coin collecting and buying silver for the future. When silver goes way higher, the wear on circ. coins will be a factor. So therefore, the 1964's are the best bet.
    More of a concern than the weight when silver goes way higher, is the wait. That is the backlog at the refineries. Whoever buys 90% to be sent in to become 999 deliverable is going to have to take risk waiting for their lot to be refined.
    When stacking for the long term, I go with 999. I do prefer Gov't issues, Maples, Eagles, Onzas, etc., but that's because I still like collecting.

5. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Somebody had some data demonstrating that dimes wore more than others. I can’t remember the exact post though.
    Halves have more os a premium usually so I typically buy quarters.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Junk silver is just that, junk and where I buy, it's all the same price.
    10 Dimes,
    4 Quarters or
    2 90% Halves
    are all the same price.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I do have an abundance of what is called “junk silver”. Though I am like @EdThelorax and don’t consider it junk because I am a coin collector first. And yes, on average my dimes are more worn than quarters. And similarly the quarters are worn more than the halves. Though I haven’t taken the time or effort to weigh them, I am sure the dimes would be a very poor bullion purchase because I am certain that on average they will weigh much less. It’s simple really. Dimes simply worked harder than the other denominations and are worn more. I try when I can to trade out the smaller denominations for halves and cull dollars simply for space management.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

That would depend on your motivation. If strictly investment then halves are probably better. If Mad Max scenario then dimes as they would be more useful for barter. IMO

Kelly-Bob and fiddlehead like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

It's best to have a good assortment of all common date silver junk coins.

fiddlehead likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

I remember when I was a boy in single digits (a long, long time ago). I could go to the corner store in my neighborhood. With a single silver quarter I could buy a comic book, a medium fountain drink and a full size candy bar and still get change back.

If I went to Memorial Stadium (only a block away) I could get into the game and buy an extra large drink.

In most places a clad Quarter will get you 10-12 minutes of parking today. As a child parking meters didn't accept Quarters, only Dimes, Nickels and Cents.

11. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Well if your going that for BACK Collecting Nut.. I too remember those days of getting my allowance 50 cents and it was a half dollar I could go to the movies 4 blocks away 25 cents for admission and had a quarter for popcorn, candy soda, pop.. no clue that half would be worth that much today amazing... or the quarters

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

Any US silver in coin is worth the effort to save and collect.

13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I'd say the ones closest to spot price are the smartest, if they are of equal condition "Junk Silver".

14. Mark A Williams

I would agree with you J Doe2000

15. Collecting Nut

That makes me remember when I lost teeth. The Tooth Fairy would always leave me a shiny silver Quarter. :)

16. Mark A Williams

Nice I remember those days.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Buying junk silver is the best way to start a coin collection. Then you upgrade from there.

18. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

The topic of this Thread is Junk silver:Best Buy. My Best Buy recently has been world “junk” silver coins of various countries, denominations and silver content. Sometimes the country is not easily determined, which often causes the LCS to not invest time in the research necessary to attribute the coin for conventional sale. After over 20 years of collecting world coins, I can generally attribute these tougher coins quickly.
    As for USA junk silver, I search for good or better early date Mercs and XF or better late dates. For Roosevelts, the search is for higher grade better S mints.
    For quarters, the search is for full date and rim Standing Liberties and early better date and mintmark Washington’s and higher grade Type B reverse Washington’s.
    For halves, the search is for early, full date and rim Walking Liberties; XF or better late date Walking Liberties and Franklins.
    I also search for the scarce so called small and large or huge mintmark coins in general found in Cherrypickers’.

lordmarcovan, Stevearino and longshot like this.
  19. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I would guess that it woud be harder to find higher quality coins in junk silver bins because of increased collectors already finding them. I don't know of any collectors that sell F15+ coins at junk spot prices.

Kelly-Bob likes this.
  20. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

The LCS often buys coin albums or loose coins from uninterested collectors or family members of deceased collectors. The key coins, semi-keys, and a few of the better coins are pulled out for conventional sale and the rest goes into the junk silver box for quick sale. If you are one of the first to see these coins, you are in luck! The competition for the junk box coins is getting fierce.

lordmarcovan, Stevearino and -jeffB like this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

From what I've seen and heard, that wasn't an issue during the last big run-up -- 90% was perfectly liquid in that form (in bags), no need to refine it. In fact, there were long intervals where both buy and sell prices for 90% were above spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted