Julius Caesar coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jan 22, 2019.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Here is my precious Julius Caesar portrait with that os his enemy Pompey !two of my most cherished coins !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! Those would do it for me :)

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins everyone! I have learned quite a bit - especially about the availability of the bronzes. I will be keeping an eye out for one in the future.
    Thank you for the great information.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Lolli

Lolli Active Member

@Bing
    One of your Julius caesar denari is a pubished Lipanoff forgery.
    You can find it in
    Prokopov: Contemporary Coin Engravers and Coin Masters from Bulgaria. "Lipanoff" Studio
    There coin number 17 ^^

It can be found in fake report or forgerynetwork, too.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-1171

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-825

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=fJwOtyVP6cc=

http://forgerynetwork.com/asset.aspx?id=8/muK/yDQBg=

Lipanoff forgeries are either heavily recutted transfer die forgeries or completely modern hand cutted forgeries.

Your coin is a 100% die match to the published Lipanoff forgery and you coin is 100% pressed, fields are too flat and the edge cracks are too strong and as such typical for cold pressed forgeries.

OBVERSE: COS.TERT.DICT.ITER. Head of Ceres right REVERSE: / AVGVR above, PONT.MAX. below. Simpulum, sprinkler, capis and lituus; M in right field Utica 46 BC 2.7g, 17mm Syd 1024; Crawford 467/1b (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/julius-caesar-coins.331389/)

If he gets notified he has a chance to get his money back in time if he is not notified due to politness he will possibly lose some money, sometimes it is better to be the bad guy even if it means that you will be hated ^^

Attached Files:

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think I've known this, but I've had the coin for many years. Thank you for pointing it out. I will mark it as such in my catalog.

7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@Julius Germanicus can you tell if on your DIVOS [IVLIVS] / CAESAR – DIVI F coin
    the wreathed head of Julius Caesar has ribbons at the back of his neck?

Do these different Divos Ivlivs / Caesar Divi F (like the ones posted by yourself, Andres2, and Bing) have the same Crawford number 535/..?

8. cmezner

Don't have yet a DICT PERPETVO coin, hopefully I will be lucky some day and win one, that would really be something:)

But I have a Julius Caesar denarius - almost all my coins were my dad's, so unfortunately I don't have a story about them to share.

This denarius was struck on a larger flan or maybe with a smaller die? the portrait is quite nice but the reverse is really, really off-center - and my pictures are definitely not good...:( maybe one can see better the P crescent M
    on the second obverse picture.

19 mm, 3.53 g; Rome, February-March 44 BC, L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer
    Ref.: Crawford 480/4; CRI 102; Sydenham 1060;
    Ob.: CAESAR•IM - P crescent M laureate head of Caesar right;
    Rev.: L•AEMILIVS BVC(A) Venus Victrix standing left, holding winged Victory in outstretched right hand and scepter in left

upload_2019-3-24_21-32-42.png upload_2019-3-24_21-32-57.png upload_2019-3-24_21-34-56.png

Attached Files:

9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I won this coin at an auction of Kunker. I wanted a caesar coin of course, but the one with the portrait is quite a lot of money. So, more affordable, I liked this coin also a lot because of the story behind it: the crossing and the picture of elephant refering to pompey's failed entry to the city of Rome being pulled by elephants. I can image the legionairs receiving this coin, smiling, perhaps laughing, because of this symbolism. I read some where that approx 22,5 million coins were made, so that gets me thinking of how humiliating to pompey this must have been...

It's not the finest of coins out there of course, but that makes it quite affordable. Though i do think the other, non-portrait types are less expensive. You might want to go for one of those, or, save your money and go for the elephant type.

04 Caesar.jpg

Orielensis, Clavdivs, dadams and 5 others like this.
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Augustus and Divus Julius Caesar. Æ 21. Obv: ΘΕΟC; Bare head of Julius Caesar, r. Rev: CΕΒΑCΤΟΥ (ΘΕ); bare head of Augustus, r. BMC Thessalonica 61, but: RPC 5421, "Uncertain" mint.
    JCandAugustus.jpg

Alegandron, Bing, Clavdivs and 4 others like this.
  11. cmezner

I do have a DIC PER but of Octavian who was seeking to validate his claim to political power in the years immediately following the assassination of Julius Caesar.

This coin, minted c. 42 BC, has Octavian's image and the sella curulis or imperial seat. The empty stool holds Caesar's golden laurel wreath and is inscribed with “CAESAR DIC PER”

18 x 19 mm, 3.74 g;
    Military mint traveling with Octavian, 42 BC
    Ref.: Crawford 497/2c; Sydenham 1322;

Obv.: (CAESA)R III•VIR•R•P•C Bare head of Octavian with slight beard, right
    Rev.: CAESAR•DIC•PE(R) inscribed on curule chair, wreath above

Reverse is off-center :(

upload_2019-3-25_21-23-40.png upload_2019-3-25_21-23-54.png

Johndakerftw, Andres2, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted