Julius Caesar coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I am starting this thread for two reasons..

#1 - so many on here own these coins.. and if I owned one I would like any excuse to post it and share the joy of owning such a great piece of history.. so this is for you.. show us what you got!!!!
    Please do not only show the coin but share the story on how you came to decide on that particular coin or any interesting tidbits in acquiring it.

#2 - As a new collector who focuses on the historical events and personages within the hobby. I know that someday I will own one... it won't be this year and it will never be a lifetime portrait but something I can afford. I assume the least expensive to acquire would be the Elephant Denarius? Please correct me if I am wrong in that assumption. Any thoughts or advice you may have on purchasing a modest example would be appreciated. (I do know they are faked a lot - so a respected dealer is a must!)..

Please show us your Julius Caesar coins!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Sulla80, Cucumbor, Hispanicus and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

These bronzes are affordable , first one came from English coindealer, second one from eBay.
    prices vary from $50 to $200

still looking for a denarius to complete my 12 Caesar set in silver.

P1210028.JPG P1210028bbmm.jpg

galba68, randygeki, cmezner and 16 others like this.
  4. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I wanted both a lifetime issue and a Sestertius-sized bronze of Julius Caesar, but was not willing to spend more than 200 USD. So I ended up with these:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-22 um 12.59.46.png

- / CAESAR
    Diademed head of Venus right, with Cupid behind shoulder / Trophy of Gallic arms, composed of helmet and cuirass, oval shield and carnyx in each hand; two seated captives at base, the one on left a female in attitude of dejection, resting head in right hand, the one on right a bearded male with hands bound behind him.
    Denarius, military mint traveling with Caesar in Spain, late 46-early 45 b.C.
    3,62 g / 19 mm
    Crawford 468/1; RSC 13; CRI 58; Sydenham 1014

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-22 um 12.59.58.png

DIVOS [IVLIVS] / CAESAR – DIVI F
    Wreathed head of Caesar to right / bare head of Octavian to right with slight beard
    AE As or Dupondius, uncertain Italian mint, 38 b.C.
    19 g / 30 mm
    Cohen 3; Sydenham 1336; RPC 620; Sear Imperators 308; Crawford 535/1

Both nice to have, but some day I would like to upgrade to a portrait Denarius and a decent bronze. Should´t have overspent my budget on rare soldier emperors...

galba68, randygeki, cmezner and 14 others like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here are my coins of Julius Caesar.

This one was a very nice Secret Saturnalia gift from @Ryro . I love this coin because it has both Julius Caesar and Octavian.

aug and JC small.jpg

Macedon. Thessalonika
    19 mm 8.0 g
    Obv: ΘECCAΛONIKEΩN
    Bare head of Octavian
    Rev: ΘEOC.
    Bare head of Julius Caesar
    RPC 1555
    Ex: Numismatik Naumann Auction 66 Lot 269

The elephant denarius was a must have for me.
    JC elephant.jpg
    Julius Caesar. Denarius mint moving with Caesar 49-48., AR (18.66 mm., 3.85g).
    Obv: Pontifical emblems: culullus, aspergillum, axe and apex.
    Rev: Elephant r., trampling dragon; in exergue, CAESAR.
    Babelon Julia 9. C 9. Sydenham 1006. Sear Imperators 9. RBW 1557. Crawford 443/1.
    SRCV I (2000) 1399, RSC 49
    Ex: E.E. Clain Stefanelli, Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction #25 Lot 378 September 25,

A posthumous portrait of Julius Caesar. This was the first coin of Julius caesar that I bought. Although it is worn I love the stylistic portrait.

JC new.jpg

Divus Julius Caesar Denarius. 40 BC. Q Voconius Vitulus, quaestor. (20.39 mm, 3.36 g)
    Obv:Laureate head right
    Rev: Q•VOCONIVS above, S-C to sides, VITVLVS•Q / DESIG below, bull-calf advancing left.
    Crawford 526/4, Sydenham 1133. SRCV I (2000) 1428, RSC 45
    Ex: Frank Robinson.
    Purchased from Frank Robinson Coins Auction September 15, 2015.

One of my favourite coins. I feel very lucky to have won this one. I really wanted a lifetime portrait and this one fit the bill nicely. It really is one of the highlights of my collection.

Julius Caesar 480 5b small.jpg

Julius Caesar. AR Denarius, 44 BC.
    (19.00 mm 3.68 g)
    Obv:. Laureate head right; before, CAESAR IMP; behind, star of eight rays.
    Rev: P. SEPVLLIVS MACER. Venus standing left, holding Victory and sceptre (resting on star?).
    Cr. 480/5b RSC 41 BMC 4165 Syd 1071Sear (2000) 1412
    A very elegant portrait. Perfectly struck on broad flan. Areas of flatness and scratch on obverse, otherwise about VF.
    Ex: Artemide Asti E-Auction 43 E, June 9, 2018.

Cinco71, Limes, galba68 and 19 others like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Mine were purchased over time and much research:
    Julius Caesar 2.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Venus right.
    REVERSE: CAESAR - Aeneas advancing left, carrying Anchises and palladium
    Carthage 47 to 46 BC
    4.0g, 17mm
    CRI 55, Sydenham 1013, RRC 458/1, S 1402

Julius Caesar 7 a.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR IMP, laureate head right, lituus & simpulum behind.
    REVERSE: M METTIVS, Venus standing left with Victory & scepter, shield resting on globe; control letter G to left
    Rome January-February 44 BC
    3.81g, 18mm
    RSC 34
    ex. Andrew McCabe
    plugged and ex-mount

Julius Caesar 4.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Elephant advancing right. CAESAR REVERSE: Simpulum, sprinkler, axe and apex. No legend
    Gaul 49 BC
    3.2g, 18mm
    CRI 9, Sydenham 1006, RRC 443/1, S 1399

Julius Caesar 1a.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: COS.TERT.DICT.ITER. Head of Ceres right
    REVERSE: / AVGVR above, PONT.MAX. below. Simpulum, sprinkler, capis and lituus; M in right field
    Utica 46 BC
    2.7g, 17mm
    Syd 1024; Crawford 467/1b

galba68, randygeki, Jay GT4 and 15 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I also have one bronze struck under Octavian before he became first Roman emperor, issued to deify Julius Caesar
    Augustus 9.jpg
    AUGUSTUS (OCTAVIAN)
    AE Dupondius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR DIVI F, bare head of Octavian right
    REVERSE: DIVOS IVLIVS, wreathed head of Julius Caesar right
    Gallic or Italian mint 38 BC
    30mm; 17.90 g
    CR535/v1, RPC620v

galba68, randygeki, cmezner and 13 others like this.
  8. Orfew

Nice haul of JCs @Bing, I especially like the rare portrait denarius.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmm... why I got this Iulius Caesar...

- minted in last two weeks of his reign, or two weeks before he was assassinated.
    - veiled, as he held the offce of Pontifex Maximus for several years, and that office was very important to him personally.
    - wreathed... just short of being king... big no-no
    - DICT PERPETVO - yeah, he was a king... so Roman Republic inherently and culturally hated kings.
    - fairly difficult to capture with the star on reverse
    - reasonably centered with most/all devices and legends (this is not as important to me cuz its numismatic vs the intrinsic Historical impact.)

upload_2019-1-22_9-48-59.png
    Roman Imperiatorial
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer
    AR Denarius, 1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE, 19 mm, 4.03g.
    Obv: CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled and wreathed head of Caesar R.
    Rev: P·SEPVLLIVS – MACER Venus standing l., holding Victory and sceptre resting on star.
    Ref: Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14 Rare

Alföldi arranges Crawford 480 series coins in (44 BC) month order as follows:

RRC 480/1, Buca - January
    RRC 480/2, DICT QVART - early February
    RRC 480/3/4/5, CAESAR IMP - late February
    RRC 480/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14, DICT PERPETVO - early to mid March
    RRC 480/17/18, CAESAR IMPER - late March
    RRC 480/19/20, PARENS PATRIAE - April
    RRC 480/15/16, MARIDIANVS - April
    RRC 480/21/22, CLEMENTIAE CAESARIS and Mark Antony - April

- cool elephant
    - approx time when crossing the Rubicon and making a fateful decision in History
    - snubbing Pompey
    - Pontifex Maximus office devices
    upload_2019-1-22_9-58-7.jpeg
    RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

randygeki, cmezner, Jay GT4 and 12 others like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

My lifetime JC was purchased for a few reasons, first I thought the Dupondius was a lot better value than the more popular elephant Denarius being a lot more rare.
    Second I love the big brass coins and third I can't afford a decent portrait silver. Also the historically important coins as it exemplifies Caesar's victories over Pompey, specifically at the battle of Pharsalus where Pompey was decisively defeated capturing 20,000 men with Pompey fleeing to Egypt where he was executed. Footnote...C. Clovius could be one of the six prefects "pr و fecti Urbi" appointed by Caesar before his departure for Spain in order to fight the Pompeian forces. This character was later governor of Cisalpine Gaul.
    IMG - Copy.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR, 44 BC.
    AE Dupondus, 45 BC. Mint in Italy, Rare
    Roman Republic
    Dia.: 26 mm
    Wt.: 13.05 g
    Obv.: Bust of Victory right
    Rev.: C CLOVI PRAEF Minerva advancing left, snake, spear and shield.
    Ref.: Cr 476.
    Ex Klassische Munzen

randygeki, cmezner, Jay GT4 and 10 others like this.
  11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I have posted this image previously, but here is some additional information. My example coin does not have very nice surfaces and the condition of the silver is fragile, but I have always wanted a DICT PERPETVO issue denarius with a reasonably well centered portrait.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Denarius, Crawford, Roman Republican Coins (RRC), No. 480/8 (March 44 BC - Alföldi)

Coin obverse depiction: Julius Caesar laureate bust facing right

Inscription clockwise from right: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO (Dictator in Perpetuity)

Coin reverse depiction: Venus Victrix standing, facing left, holding statuette of victory on palm of right hand and supporting vertical scepter with left hand

Inscription vertical to right: L BVCA (L. Aemilius Buca, Moneyer)

Weight: 3.5g

Provenance: Ex Chris Martin

randygeki, cmezner, Jay GT4 and 10 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would say any non-portrait coin of Caesar would be cheaper than the elephant, all other things (grade, source, metal) considered. Bing showed a nice Aeneas type. My fourree with Venus/trophy of arms has the numeral LII = 52 Caesar's age when it was issued. Solid examples are cheaper than elephants, I believe. I did not select this one but ot it long ago in a group,
    ra7840bb0391.jpg

galba68, randygeki, cmezner and 9 others like this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Here you are :

[​IMG]

Q

dadams, Limes, randygeki and 15 others like this.
  14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

JULIUS CAESAR PORTRAIT DENARIUS.jpg

Here’s mine, a DICT PERPETVO lifetime portrait denarius, purchased in March of 2018. The fact that I was in a position to get one in my price range was the result of a series of fortuitous circumstances. Some of you may remember that earlier in the year I realized that a Julius Caesar Aeneas denarius I owned was fake. I sent it back to the Spanish seller for a full refund. While I was waiting for the refund to be posted (about $300), this JC coin came on the market in the VCoins store “Dr. Busso Peus Nachfolger” for about ‎€500. I’m a guy who rarely spends over $100 on a coin, so $640 or so delivered is a lot of money to me. But as luck would have it, I had a little extra cash on hand and was awaiting that cash return for the forgery. I decided to put it all together for this coin. Honestly, had I not been forced to return that Aeneas forgery, I wouldn’t have been in a position to buy the JC denarius, so it was a classic case of one door closing but another one opening. (I’ll get that Aeneas coin someday too. Maybe this year.) I also looked at previous Cointalk threads and saw a number of collectors talking about how this coin is not getting any cheaper. So I grabbed it. I think this type was struck February - March, 44 B.C., in the last few weeks of JC’s life. Maybe it’s a bit gauche to speak so frankly about price, but when I’m shopping around for a coin, I find frankness helpful.

Limes, galba68, randygeki and 13 others like this.
  15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

My Julius portrait is on a cut bronze coin.
    DSCN0756.JPG

randygeki, cmezner, Cucumbor and 7 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome value and great job capturing this coin! Yeah, I am always careful discussing price, but yours is a GREAT story to tell! Congrats on getting this super coin!

Orfew and Gavin Richardson like this.
  17. Orfew

I love that coin. It has a very good portrait and most of the legends are readable. A very nice acquisition. I would also like one of the Anchises coins. The good thing is there are plenty around at the moment.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  18. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Clavdivs, Thanks for the opportunity to post. Patience waiting for the right coin at the right price turned up two flawed denarii, linked to interesting history.

The first from 47 to 46 B.C. that brings with it the stories of the Aeneid, the founding of Rome, the divine ancestors claimed by Julius Caesar, and the civil war. Julius Caesar minted these coins in North Africa during his campaign against Pompey to pay his troops. The coin shows Aeneas carrying his aged father, Anchises, and the Palladium away from a burning Troy, with Venus on the Obverse.

Julius caesar.JPG
    Julius Caesar 47-46 BC
    AR Denarius (19mm, 3.6g), North Africa mint
    Obv:
    Diademed head of Venus facing right.
    Rev: CAESAR, Aeneas advancing left, carrying his father Anchises on left shoulder and palladium.

My second coin is a fourrée with, to my view, a good looking elephant also rich with good stories, even if it is a contemporary counterfeit.
    Caesar Elephant.jpg
    Julius Caesar, circa 49 BC, AR denarius
    Obv: Elephant advancing right, trampling horned serpent
    Rev: CAESAR in exergue / Pontifical implements: ladle (simpulum), sprinkler (aspergillum), axe (securis), and pontiff's cap (apex).

Limes, galba68, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  19. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I just got myself a bargain elephant in the form of a fourrée. It's not in hand yet, so I'm not 100% sure that it was the right decision. I wanted one for one of my side collections, but wasn't really willing to pay a lot for a common coin that's not a collecting priority.

combined28198.jpg

20. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

Here is my most recent JC purchase. It is a 480/6 (as Alegandron mentioned) minted pretty close to the day he got got. Liked it because it did not break the bidding bank and I can recognize the profile well enough (the somewhat clear perpetvo=perpetual was a selling point). I have a small collection of other lifetime non portraits, this being my first lifetime portrait (kicking around the idea of collecting his lifetime portraits - probably will take a few decades for the right examples to pop).
    30389_0.jpg

21. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

838590.jpg 1570259.jpg these are a couple of my Caesar's. I would like to get a DICTATOR PERPETVVS someday. never say never.

Draft saved Draft deleted