James Theselius Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by altaycoins, Mar 23, 2019.

1. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

I've got a new type in my collection from James Theselius Collection. Although it seems Theselius was an important collector (his collection forms the basis for Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins and Their Iconography by William F. Spengler and Wayne Sayles), there is not much about him on the internet.

The only thing I can find is a discussion between archeologist Paul Barford (link) and the numismatist Wayne Sayles (link) on their blogs.

Does anyone have better insight on who is James Theselius? Also did you get anything from his collection?

[​IMG]
    Ilkhans, Abaqa, AR Dirham, Tus, No date (ex James Theselius Collection)
    (You can see a high res image and more details on my website)
    I have already had the same type from the same mint but Arghun (instead of Abaqa)

[​IMG]
    Ilkhans, Arghun, AR Dirham, Tus, No date​

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Why not ask Wayne Sayles via his blog?

4. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Even for getting this piece I emailed him couple of times through facebook and through his email (because he was not shipping overseas) he doesn't respond at all. One of my friends bought the coin for me in US. So I don't think I will get a reply from him.

Carausius likes this.
  5. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I have no insight to share, but I love the Turkoman coins and have 2 from the Theselius collection.. below is the only one I have a photo for.

[​IMG]

Al-Jazira. 576/1180 - 589/1193 (AH 577), AE dirhem,

Male head facing left, wearing crested helmet / Four lined Kufic legend in circle. aVF, S/S 62 var. 1, Ex: Theselius Collection

BenSi, Curtisimo, altaycoins and 3 others like this.
  6. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted