Isle of Man - 1/25 gold - Cat coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by wgpjr, Dec 31, 2012.

1. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Got the new issue of "CoinAGE" in the mail and was reading an article called "Buying Gold on a Budget." It listed some 1/25 gold coins and one series in particular that caught my interest was the Isle of Man Cat series. I looked them up on Ebay, but most seem to carry a big premium (compared to their gold content). Anyone know where I can get them at cheaper prices? I don't expect spot prices, but perhaps spot + 10-15% wouldn't be too bad.

Anyone here have any of these coins? If so, what are your opinions of them?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I am working on a collection of the 1 oz. silver cat coins which also carry a high premium. I really like the way they look. You might check APMEX to compare price,but I don't think you will find anyone selling them cheap. The smaller the coin, the bigger the premium.

tibor likes this.
  4. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Premium...A high one

5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I saw a few of these the other day on Ebay and GC.... the premiums for graded coins are up to 200% for 1/2 gram or about 1/50th of an ounce. :eek:

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

All small sized pm has hefty premiums. Think about it, it costs the same to make a die, check purity, strike a coin, if the coin is 1/20th an ounce or one ounce. Therefore, per ounce, larger coins will always have lower premiums.

Simple economics. Want to be more efficient per ounce? Buy larger sized coins.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just buy 1/10th ounce US gold bullion. It's expensive but affordable or buy low priced gold coins.

slackaction1 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yeah, you really dont get anywhere, especially with the purposes of investing
    Fractional gold is always a tough sale, the premiums are just to high !

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Just got to be at the right place at the right time. If they come into my LCS, I can usually buy them for melt or a few dollars over.

10. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example of why it's so important to befriend your local coin dealer.

11. GoldFinger1969

It would only be for a coin that I like as aesthetically not as a bullion investment.

12. GoldFinger1969

Your LCS sells 1/4 and 1/10th oz gold coins for just above spot prices ???

Only 1/2 oz in the past was for anything close to 10% or less of a premium. 1 oz. was 3-4% premium. But you paid through the nose for 1/4 and 1/10th oz.

13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

okay thanks for another lesson..I have been buying 1/10 gold for 148.00 per coin so it would be better off to save up and buy full ounce of gold instead of 1/10 at a time.. ok ty much figuring here 1480.00 and gold is at 1478.00 so what did I do wrong here please. NATIONWIDE BULLION

14. GoldFinger1969

If you got 1/10th oz at basically 1/10th the price of gold, you did great. Same coin probably cost me $200 or so.

15. myownprivy

Nice spammy post. Reported!!!

16. GoldFinger1969

I think they offer those prices just to get your name on their mailing list. But hey, if it works.....

17. myownprivy

They do. So prepare yourself for mailings to your address that reveal you're a bullion buyer. Prepare yourself for phone calls to sell you overpriced junk. Prepare yourself for other companies getting your information from the dealer you bought the at spot fractional gold from. And in my opinion, anyone who sells their personal information to get a few pieces of gold at spot is a fool.

Your high school therapist would tell you, slackaction. "You need to love yourself." "You have value" "You need to value yourself for your actual worth." Your good name and your privacy is worth more than a few 1/10th oz gold pieces at spot.

18. slackaction1

so your judging me now...…. okay.... I did get mail and I did receive a phone call with every purchase.. as far as High School we had counselors not therapist and we drank from garden hoses Oh My...

19. slackaction1

In short your calling me a FOOL in a CT way that makes it okay within the rules CORRECT? don't wanna get you in the privy..

20. slackaction1

ole hick he did tell...

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. I bought 1 gram bars at melt before. If you are known to your dealer, he will throw things like this your way just to move product and free up dollars. Cannot rely on it, but it happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted