Isaac II Angelus The Set. SBCV-2001-2006

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Dec 23, 2020.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Today I got one of two of Isaac II hyperpyron' s, in itself it is a beautiful coin, however it allowed me to complete the set.

Hyperpyron, EL Aspron trachy, Billion Trachy, Metropolitan tetarteron, Tetarteron and its half. ( Very thin coin, slightly smaller that the full under 2gm.) All are photographed to give comparable sizes.

sfullisaac.jpg

Feel free to post 12th century coinage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

A great set! Congratulations on finishing. It is very nice that the design of the Hyperpyron and both trachea are clear and on the flan.

Some random coinage of the 12th century:
    [​IMG]
    Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180). Æ ‘Metropolitan’ Tetarteron. Constantinople, circa 1152-1160.
    Obverse:
    MHP - ΘV Theotokos, nimbate, standing to right, wearing pallim and maphorium, rising her hands toward manus Dei in the upper field to left.
    Reverse: MAN૪HΛ ΔЄCΠΟΤΗC Manuel I Comnenus standing facing, crowned and wearing loros, holding labarum in his right hand and akakia in his left.
    Reference: DOC 15. SB 1968.
    3.97g

[​IMG]
    Latin Rulers of Constantinople, Æ Trachy. Constantinople, 1204-1261.
    Obverse:
    Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; IC-XC across fields.
    Reverse: The archangel Michael standing facing, holding sceptre and globus cruciger.
    Reference: DOC 16; Sear 2036.
    3.07g
    [​IMG]
    Alexius I Comnenus (1081-1118). Æ ‘Metropolitan’ Tetarteron. Constantinople, AD 1092-1118.
    Obverse:
    Bust of Christ, bearded and nimbate, wearing tunic and kolobion holding gospels (open) in left hand.
    Reverse: Alexius bust facing wearing stemma, divitision, collar piece and paneled loros of simplified type and holds in r. hand labarum-headed scepter and in l. hand Globus crucifer.
    Reference: S-1920; DOC 33; CLBC 2.4.1; Grierson 1042
    4.32g

[​IMG]
    Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180). Billon Trachy, Constantinople mint.
    Obverse:
    IC - XC. Christ Pantokrator seated facing on throne.
    Reverse: Manuel standing facing, holding labarum and globus cruciger, and being crowned by the Virgin standing to right.
    Reference: Sear 1966.
    4.33g; 31mm

I really like that the above billon trachy has so much silver wash left. Almost all Manuel I trachea I see are all without any traces of silver wash.

[​IMG]
    Alexius I Comnenus, 1081-1118. Histamenon Nomisma, Constantinopolis mint, 1081-1092.
    Obverse:
    Christ seated facing on square-backed throne, wearing nimbus, pallium and colobium, rasing his right hand in benediction and holding book of Gospel in his left; in fields, IC - XC.
    Reverse: + AΛЄZIω ΔЄC[ΠΟΤ Tω KM] Crowned bust of Alexius I facing, wearing loros, holding labarum with his right hand and globus cruciger in his left.
    Reference: SB 1893.
    4.40g; 28mm

The above coin obviously heavily debased, probably no gold left in it at all, do you have any idea @BenSi?

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

A nice poker hand @BenSi :rolleyes:
    b114.jpg
    Isaac II
    1185 to 1195 AD
    Electrum aspron trachy
    Obvs: The Virgin enthroned facing, nimbate and wearing pallium and maphorium; she holds infant Christ.
    Revs: Archangel Michael, beardless and nimbate on right and Issac on left. Michael holds jeweled scepter and crowns emperor.
    26x30mm, 3.2g
    Constantinople mint
    Ref: Hendy 31 #4

5. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Dont hate me, but it is post reform SBCV-1918 , SBCV-1893 is more complex in design. As a SBCV-1918 its very nice.

Full house :) I like poker too.
    I am still missing SBCV- 2000 ( Another Hyperpyron) and even though its not listed a 12mm die of SBCV-2005 , I have seen it once, I lost in heavy bidding.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Impressive and handsome set!
    I have only two from the 12th century.

Sicily (Norman Kings): gold tari of Guglielmo I ("William the Bad"), ca. 1154-1166
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: Kufic legend in two margins around pellet in circle.
    Reverse: Cross-tipped scepter with IC XC NIKA around field.

German States (Brunswick-Lüneburg): silver bracteate of William Longsword, ca. 1195-1213
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: lion passant, left.
    Reverse: incuse mirrored image of obverse.

7. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice set. I only have billion trachy of Isaac II Angelus:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-d4oHMalONB7.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-NNEBT5VjB7g.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-ldpsDGtXdX7b.jpg

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Simon, Congrats on completing your Isaac II set :D! Together the coins make for a beautiful group photo :happy:. I don't have any 12th cen. coinage that would fit into this thread but will post a Byzantine enkolpion that would :rolleyes:.

Byzantine AE Enkolpion, c. 11th-12th cen..jpg Byzantine AE Reliquary Cross Pendant (enkolpion), c. 11th - 12th cen. Jesus Christ on one side & the Virgin Mary on the other side. 77 X 32 mm.

9. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Nothing from the 12th yet, closest I can do is 11th :happy:

histacombo2.jpg

Pavlos, Johndakerftw and BenSi like this.
  10. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

s2001.jpg

The Hyperpyron completed the set, he deserves his own moment in the sun. Beautiful coin.

Johndakerftw and Pavlos like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted