German States (Brunswick-Lüneburg): silver bracteate of William Longsword, ca. 1195-1213

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 8, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 9

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 8

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

German States (Brunswick-Lüneburg): silver bracteate of William Longsword, ca. 1195-1213
    01-Bracteate-frame.png
    Obverse: lion passant, left.
    Reverse: incuse mirrored image of obverse.
    Issuer: William of Winchester, Lord of Lüneburg (aka "William Longsword").
    Specifications: silver, 21.5 mm, 0.54 g.
    Grade: PCGS AU55, cert.#40724034.
    Reference: Numista-106982 (other references cited there).
    Provenance: ex-Münzenhandlung Brom, Berlin, Germany, 8 July 2020.* Purchased raw.
    Notes: a bracteate was a uniface coin hammered with a single die upon a thin sheet of metal, which reproduced the same design on both sides; raised on one side and reversed and incuse on the opposite side. Bracteates (hohlpfennige, or "hollow pennies") were a regional medieval coin that circulated in many German-speaking lands from the 12th to 14th centuries.
    Comments: This was my first bracteate. Prior to its purchase, I had struck out at least three times in my attempts to win one at auction. I finally bought this one at retail instead. I like it for its simple yet suitably medieval-looking lion motif (William was the son of Henry the Lion), and its appealing old cabinet toning. I also like that it's from one of the German Brunswick (Braunschweig) regions, since I'm from Brunswick (Georgia, USA).

01-Bracteate-frame.png 02-Bracteate-Trueview.png 03-Bracteate-black.png 04-Bracteate-gradient.png 05-Bracteate-white.png 06-Bracteate-slab.png

028189S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Per the Wikipedia article:
    Below: an imaginative 19th century painting of William of Winchester.

William_of_Winchester.jpg
    Image: public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    ddddd likes this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What a splendid addition to your collection, @lordmarcovan ! I very much love the lion, the toning, and the strike of your coin.

As you know, I'm primarily a bracteate collector myself, and I would consider your coin an example that would look good in pretty much every medieval collection.

Below are some of my own current favorites – your new coin is equal to the best of them:
    MA – Deutschland etc., Fulda, Heinrich IV, Brakteat.png
    Abbey of Fulda, under Heinrich IV. von Erthal, AR bracteate, ca. 1249–1261 AD. Obv: Abbot seated facing holding palm branch and book; in Gothic polylobe and double pearl border; around outer rim; H-V-H-V. 29mm, 0.52g. Ref: Berger 2293. Ex “HC Collection;” ex CNG, e-auction 459, lot 579.

MA – Deutschland etc., Halberstadt, Gero von Schermbke, Brakteat, Hlg. Stephan.png
    Bishopric of Halberstadt, under Gero von Schermbke/von Schochwitz, AR bracteate penny, 1169–1177 AD. Obv: + S–STEPHANVSPROTOMARTI; bust of St. Stephen facing between three stones and star. Rev: negative design. 25mm, 0.83g. Ref: Berger 1324; Slg. Bonhoff 483. Ex Münzenhandlung Löchte (Rheine); ex Teutoburger Münzauktionen, auction 125, lot 1978.

MA – Deutschland etc., Magdeburg, Moritzpfennig 1586, Reliquie.png
    Archbishopric of Magdeburg, under Albrecht von Käfernburg, bracteate penny, ca. 1220–1232. Obv: OICI – IVSDV; St. Maurice, nimbate and wearing armour, standing facing, holding cross and lance flag; below, church building with two towers an an arch; inside, cranium relic. Rev: negative design (bracteate). 23mm, 0.68g. Ref: Berger 1586; Slg. Hauswaldt 167; Slg. Bonhoff 712. Ex WAG.

MA – Ungarn, Bela IV, Brakteat.png
    Kingdom of Hungary, under Bela IV (or Bela III?), AR bracteate denár, 1235–1270 AD (or 1172–1196 AD?). Obv: BE-LA REX; three bearded heads in a triangle. Obv: negative design (bracteate). 15mm, 0.28g. Ref: Huszár 200. Ex CNG, e-auction 466, lot 762.

FitzNigel, ycon, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Thank you. That's a relief to hear from a bracteate collector, since, as mentioned, this was my first.

I really love how they just look so... so... medieval. Thank you for posting that group.

Orielensis likes this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I'm glad you were able to get one. You have made some really nice purchases recently.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That's a great coin! I love it. The design is awesome and the toning is attractive too.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Definitely an area I know very little of, but it's a nice little coin. I like it.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Well, I can't claim to know a whole ton about 'em, either. This is only my first one, after all.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

9...something I've never seen before but really like the look...nice purchase!

kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

I voted 9 as well.

kazuma78 and ddddd like this.
  12. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That was my vote too!

ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted