Is this what a strong dollar feels like?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SD51555, Sep 28, 2015.

1. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Man, it seems like there is no place to hide these days. Somehow, the stuff you have to buy isn't coming down in price, and all the stuff I own is.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just more buying opportunities my friend. :)

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Really? I'm finding most things decreasing: fuel, even groceries. Even my electric bill came down. I haven't used cable TV in over 8 years. Even beers at the local sports bar are lower on special promos.

5. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I firmly believe that whatever you're looking for you'll find and whatever you believe will be. That's how life works...

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Keep hunting man, I did well this weekend. I routed an auction with an absentee bid. Nothing but gold, pounds of scrap silver (sterling flatware, etc), and even a platinum/diamond Longines ladies watch.

The watch is a total gamble - it will depend on the cost to clean and restore. And then it will depend on whether the wife allows me to sell it once it's done.

The sterling I paid about 70 cents on the dollar based on spot after premiums. I got a complete box set of Int'l Sterling service for 12 and all the matched serving pieces. I guess scrap is insulting slang for this, it's a nice matched set with box.

I'm hoping the holiday season will present a good selling opportunity.

I don't see a strong dollar - I see restaurants going up 15% in the last 2 years.

I don't believe the dollar is strong. It's all paper, or maybe it's just stronger than the rest of the world's debt drowned currency?

swamp yankee and serafino like this.
  7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

How much are you paying for gas in your state ? Out here in Sunny Calif. at Costco Gas Station we are paying around $2.55 a gallon.
    And we get screwed here in Calif. for gas, I'm sure other states are paying less.

Can't wait for all that Iranian oil to get dumped on the market. All the money we save on gas we can buy more silver bullion. :)

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

If the silver companies ever start selling at reasonable levels . Till then I'll look for some gold .

9. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Everyone's basket is a little different. It's just me, and I always cook, so I don't buy much in the way of groceries. My electric coop is already warning of increased costs for whatever reason. I don't really buy too much gas because I drive a work truck home.

Despite being an aggressive saver and investor, I haven't been able to even keep the portfolio from falling the last six months. And I'm well spread out.

10. Brett_in_Sacto

[QUOTE="SD51555, post: 2242715, member: 71871"Despite being an aggressive saver and investor, I haven't been able to even keep the portfolio from falling the last six months. And I'm well spread out.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that you have not diversified your portfolio with a politician. With the election year coming up, you should be heavily investing in politicians. edited-Political comment :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
    WLH22 likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I know it is so tempting to put a political comment here and there, but this is the wrong forum, try partisanlines.com.

lucyray likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Filled up this morning at $2.209 a gallon, and that's in an extraordinarily high gasoline tax state, PA. Without our latest tax bump, we'd be under $2.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

All you have to do is watch where investors flock when equities go south - into Treasuries, not metals. That means to most worldwide investors, the "safe haven" place to park funds is the U.S. dollar, not gold or silver. Metals decreased WITH stocks this week.

14. Collecting Nut

In my area of high PA taxes it's going for $2.37 a gallon. I went to a rock show in Maryland over the weekend and I filled up for $2.19.

15. Brett_in_Sacto

This is known as "following the herd" and is a great way to get the leftovers after the feast has long gone cold.

I'm the guy that moved into money markets back in May when the DJIA kept banging up above 18k and never moving higher.

No no no, I only watch to learn and anticipate how to leverage the contrarian move against it.

Those "so-called" professionals lost around 10% of their clients' net worth in 3 months.

Everyone hates metals right now, which is exactly why I'm making opportune buys.

The dollar is "strong" which means there is an opportunity for it to weaken.

Viva Contrarion!

16. Collecting Nut

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Me? I'm the OTHER kind of contrarian - the kind who was vilified for giving talks at an ANA convention in summer 2011 that the PM party was coming to an end because the values were all fluff and froth without fundamentals underpinning them. That was counter to the claptrap that "professional numismatic consultants" like Richard Nachbar and Patrick Heller were spewing. They lost their clients much more than 10%, and have been for over 4 years now. To say nothing of the poor saps reading or listening to Peter Schiff's inane rantings.

Whatever moves in the opposite direction to equities is the "safe haven" asset, and for the moment, that ain't precious metals. They have been it for several years, but not now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  18. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

What caused metals to "go through the roof"? Yep, a crisis as bad as the 2008 economic collapse. I'm waiting for metals to get closer to the pre 2008 crisis level before buying. You won't see metals move up significantly until the next crisis.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

Close to truth, but not quite. Metals declined during the 2008 crash. Go look it up. What caused them to go through the roof was fear of what the RESPONSE TO the 2008 crash would do to inflation, but it never did.

20. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

LOL., semantics. The 2008 crash and the response to it, of course, was the cause.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

It's all good. Most people have a faulty shorthand memory of the sequence of 9/11/01 events too. A WSJ article on the first anniversary of the attacks went into it in depth. Huge numbers of people would swear they saw things on 9/11 that weren't broadcast until several days later.

Makes you all warm and fuzzy about eyewitness testimony in court, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted