Is There Any Point In Investing In Numismatics...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by HardMoney, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would say the ability to make a lot of money comes with recognizing an opportunity that others do not see. This might be high risk, or low. It can occur in any asset class, including coins. Every investment has something wrong with it. The purpose of analysis is to discover what can go wrong and determining whether the probability of gain is greater than the probability of loss. The perception of risk is often just a reflection of the emotional state of the investor, not the inherent characteristics of the asset.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nightowl

nightowl Member

Do both.....use numismatic items to generate dollars for bullion buying

I like to buy things of numismatic interest on eBay when I see them and resell them, and buy up silver or gold coins. Here are 2 coin buys from eBay this month. The 1921 high relief Peace dollar cost me $14.99 to the door, and I have about 30 dollars invested in the 1900 V nickel struck on a foreign planchet.

I'll make enough on the sale of these 2 to buy some bullion.

Nightowl

Attached Files:

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

1921 for 15 bucks u need tot tell us more :eat:

5. nightowl

nightowl Member

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Both are cool, how do you find those deals? Is that normal on Ebay, because I just do not see deals like that.

7. nightowl

nightowl Member

Persistance....dedication. The "hit counter" on the 21 Peace dollar tells the tale. I was the first to see it....and didn't waste time deliberating the purchase. It was a no brainer.

The V nickel was in a lot that was up for a full 7 days....and the lot was really low end stuff...except that piece. The bidding opened at $49.95, and the listing ended at like 4:30 am EST. I took a chance on it, placing the opening bid at 2:30 am...and setting my maximum bid at 90 bucks. The auction ended without any other bids....and over a hundred people had viewed the listing. In case you're doing the math....I sold off the rest of the lot for 35 bucks....and figure there was about 7 dollars in fees...and the used Whitman classic album I sold them in cost me about 8 dollars.

These deals are the exception rather than the rule....but there over a quarter of a million US coin listings up at any given time. You can find the deals if you are knowledgeable and put in the time.

Nightowl

Draft saved Draft deleted