is the 2017 S ASE a good investment?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shiny coins for life, Oct 1, 2017.

1. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

I saw that the mint is releasing 2017 silver proof set. does the ASE make it a good investment?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Hard to say, as the price is pretty inflated already. It might make a for a decent quick flip though. I plan to buy as many as time allows.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When did the Mint start including the SAE in their proof set?

If you're looking for a good investment, there are a lot of things better than coins.

Chris

coinsareus10 likes this.
  5. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I am always a fan of buy what you want ! if it feels good and you have done
    Your research, go for it :)

7. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

If you want the 2017 S proof silver eagle and didn't get in on the Congratulations set, then the limited edition proof set is a decent buy. Its about the same as what you would pay for just the silver eagle on the resale market, but you get the extra coins too. Just don't expect it to be worth much more than what people are paying for just the silver eagle.

danmar2 likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This coin is not an investment. The only reason to buy it is you like it and would like to have it in your collection. Just like 90 percent of all collectible coins.

SchwaVB57 and Two Dogs like this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I just picked up my 2017 Limited Edition set. I have previous years too.
    It's just one of those "collectable/investments" like I had in all the Congratulation Sets ... which seemed to have paid off nicely. :)

I also bought the 2016/2017 ASE Bundle set, you know, just because maybe someone will pay $1900 for the packaging down the road. :)

Also got the Doolittle and Navy Bicentennial bronze medals because they have some cool designs.

slackaction1 and jwitten like this.
  10. Speedbump

These sets are not selling as fast as I thought they were going to.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

To anyone that thought this horse would come in at 2 or 3 to one..........the horse is still runnin'.

danmar2 likes this.
  12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

with so many 2017 S ASEs floating around in the aftermarket with dropping valuations I can't see why the LESPS would have high demand.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not still running, it had to be put down at the start of the race

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't need one of these sets. Already bought an overpriced 2017 S proof. The Mint can choke on its anniversary.:yack:

chascat and slackaction1 like this.
  15. Speedbump

The only coin worth getting in the set is the eagle. I think the problem is the set costs more than buying a Congratulations Set S proof off ebay. This is probably why larger dealers are gobbling up LESPSs, there is limited margin on resale.

The 2017 S proof will by no mean be a flop unless the greater eagle program loses popularity. The coin will hold a premium over its original selling price, but unless that price ends up climbing over $140, there wont be too much interest in the LESPS.

16. baseball21

Agreed. They hyped that so much then really did almost nothing for it

17. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Surprisingly, still available at 8:30am, the day after going on sale.
    Mintage (assumed) is only 125,000 for this coin (75k in Congratulations, 50k in this LESP set).

18. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Order numbers anyone???

19. danmar2

danmar2 Member

The Mint limited the household purchase to 2. I think that may have slowed down the bigger resellers. I collect silver eagles and I missed the Congratulations set 'S' eagle so I am glad I was able to get one yesterday. Is it a good investment? I'd say: hmmmmm? At 125,000 over both releases that is a pretty low mintage for a proof silver eagle. Off the top of my head I can only think of two others that have a lower mintage: 1995 W and the 2011 S that came in another set.

20. baseball21

Those don't slow down the big boys, if they really want it they just get more people to order them or buy them from others like MCM did with this set but they apparently got what they wanted and stopped buying. Really the big boys were conservative with their approach to these, but the aftermarket for the first one is probably the biggest reason. If you just want the ASE and don't care which set it came from you can get a 69 of the first one cheaper than the LEPS set cost. The LEPS sets in generally are pretty unpopular, but if it was offered before the cheaper Congratulations set it would have been an instant sellout.

The RP too if you count that.

21. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

NO...and NO!

Draft saved Draft deleted