Is now the time to give up on PMs and look to the stock market?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jul 17, 2018.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How do you know your precious stock market is not too high? What's the definition?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I think PMs are "low" at spot.
    But many places if you buy coinage are asking for hefty Premiums.
    Plus, no reason they can't go lower .... pushing my definition of "low" even Lower. lol

Stock market .. is "high" but that doesn't mean it can't go higher and higher. Just look at history. I remember when the DOW just broke above 2,000. They thought that was unattainable.

4. longnine009

That's wonderful. But if you believe in cycles as I do then you have to believe that there is a top somewhere. And each price spikes brings you closer to the top. Which means there is less room from that point until the ultimate top. Which means that putting more money in or putting new money in gives you less reward potential for more risk potential. Sorry, I'm not all that fond of inverse risk/reward scenarios. But you guys have fun; I don't want to be a pessimist.

Do you know what else is possible? It's possible I may buy silver from Scottsdale if my entire phone keeps getting blocked out by their banners. But I would urge them not to hold their breath waiting.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. Clawcoins

well, being an economist I follow the economy and impact situations all the time.
    So I based my decisions based on the indicators that I follow not just "thinking there's a top (or bottom)".

So ... is it maxxed out right now? Nope. Are their impact items in the way .. yup.
    How will it affect it .. it all depends ...

Are there certain investments I would shy away from .. yes, as I've indicated in many of my posts in the Silver Gets Crushed thread. I've pulled out of some investments (looking back, at the right time) and pushed more $$ into other investments (looking back, at the right time).

So, I'm all good right now. Everyone can make their own decisions and their own definitions.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I showed ignored content because I saw a one-sided conversation, but I’ll answer your question. Because P/E ratios are NOT out of whack. In fact, by looking at P/E’s, many stocks are downright CHEAP even though they are at record highs, like Apple. I do NOT believe in “cycles”, other than motor- and bi-. Things do not just spontaneously happen. People CAUSE things to happen. They need to STOP LETTING (or worse yet, MAKING) BAD THINGS HAPPEN!

Remember that article about the Intelligent, the Bandits, the Helpless and the Stupid? The Stupid need to just shut up and let the rest of us counterbalance the Bandits and the Helpless. If you want to call that “just leave it to the Supermen”, that’s okay with me, too.

Clawcoins likes this.
  7. longnine009

Once again the man of facts is blowing smoke. Intelligence, in my opinion, is the ability to adapt and survive in your environment. Tell us again why you became a civil servant Kurt? Couldn't hack the load Kurt? Your proclamations of your intelligence are beyond trite.

But you're right, people do cause things to happen. And in government those people are called bureaucrats.
    Obviously government has the most intelligent people on the planet working for them that's why government works so fantastically well.

Oh, but you and the bwain twust are (maybe the genius elon can help you if he's not too busy grubbing taxpayer dollars) going to counterbalance the helpless and the bandits? Send a petri dish full of germs out instead. I hear bacteria are pretty good at adapting to the environment.

And when they are done with that have them rewrite your post.

"In fact, by looking at P/E's,
    many stocks are downright CHEAP even though they are at record highs, like Apple," sounds a bit oxymoronic.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Look in a mirror. Any sound that guy makes is oxymoronic minus the oxy.

9. Clawcoins

Actually, it's been that way for a while with Apple stock.

Just do a bit of quick research such as https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/06/if-...-same-as-market-shares-19-percent-higher.html

Apple's employees contribute just over $2 million dollars per employee per share basis. That is quite good.

General Motors is at $800k per employee,
    Johnson & Johnson at $600k/empl
    Berkshite Hathaway at $634k/empl
    Square at $1.04million/empl
    Facebook at $1.78million / empl - which is another stock I want to be much higher .. darn those institutional investors on the conspiracy to keep their stock much lower !!

for some historical information, this 2012 article talks about the P/E ratio,

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/does-apples-pe-mean-it-must-trade-higher-2012-12-13

For reference, keep in mind Apple stock went from IPO (2-1 split in 6/1987), bumbled around a bit, went to $80, split 2-1 (6/2000) back down to $40. Went back up to $80 and split 2-1 (2/2005) back down to $40. Then went up to $770 of which it did a 7-1 (6/2014) split down to $110 to be included in the indexes. To now where it is sub $200.

I got totally out after the 7-1 split as I saw way too many shares in the market at that point. But forward looking you never know.

10. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Well, personally, I will be putting more in the market and not buying any more bullion for awhile. I will be trading silver for gold to make storage easier.

Clawcoins and ToughCOINS like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

I don't know about the union grunts, but when you take legislative staff in particular, they are among the most educated people on the planet as a whole. Advanced degrees are the norm, at MUCH higher rates than the elected people. At least "they" know what they don't know. Universally, in EVERY farewell speech from retiring members, they credit their staff for being the real brains behind them - both parties.

It's why the whole "term limits" idea is so stupid. It's the professional staff that moves the agenda and term limits would only make that MORE severely true. It's the biggest critics that are their own worst enemies.

Yes, my fellow staffers are pretty universally quite smart. But yes, a significant number are truly EVIL, but still...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Jason.A likes this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Like anything else you buy to sell, if you can buy it right and get a couple motivated buyers when you go to sell....how can you loose.
    I'm watching 5 ONE ounce average englehard bars on Ebay that a number of motivated buyers are wildly bidding on.
    2 bidders @ $200 and 2 bidders @$600.

5 1 troy ounce .999 fine silver ingots.
    Could be they need New Glasses and are reading it as 51 troy ounces.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Almost certainly.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

I could be wrong, but I think you just described a cockroach.

John Skelton and Clawcoins like this.
  15. Clawcoins

I have different levels of investments and different risk levels.

Right now coins/PMs just are being starved as I put more money into the financial markets than anything else - I did buy a flying cent by accident though lol. I can even get a guaranteed 1.75% (check AllyBank or American Express [and others] High Yield Savings Accts) on my savings account right now - PMs can't guarantee anything. And it's 100% liquidity, unlike PMs which have to be converted first with potential overhead/processing costs.

Silver (& Gold) is a great PM to buy because it is cheap. And unlike any financial investment you can look at it, touch it, feel like. See how shiny it is when you polish it. It tap it and hear it "ding".

Of course one must not look beyond the multiple supplies of PMs. Think jewelry stores .. there's tons of it of course. The Silver/Gold supply is not just the new mining supply. But when prices get too high you get an influx of secondary and terciary supplies. Just like in 2011. This makes high prices unattainable for long periods of time. First some type of price shock, then you get an influx of add'l supply due to the artificial high prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted