Is now the time to give up on PMs and look to the stock market?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Inverse ETFs are highly risky and many warn that they should be used only by experienced investors on a day trading basis. They are not buy and hold instruments.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

There is a mystical power at work out there. 130,000,000 complete morons, individually, can go out and vote for people making policy, themselves pretty moronic, and somehow it all turns out okay.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The irony of the entire market is that there are more mutual funds/indexes than there are stocks. I think that became a thing in early 2017.

So with Mutual Funds now having to maintain their mandate it pulls all those stocks into their coffers. ETFs are now doing the same thing.

Just because you get "in" the market, doesn't mean you can't get "out of" the market when you wish. Mutual Funds kinda delay buy/sells but it still happens. I play my retirement accounts like this but just longer time frames as I keep a 3 month trading strategy to prevent additional trading fees.

With companies making record profits due to accounting changes it just warrants the stock valuations to increase. Though with the recent tariff scenario, etc that can also impact revenue, and thus profit. So we'll see this next 2-3 quarters in company earnings what is going to happen and how the market reacts.

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

LA_Geezer likes this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Just like you.
    [​IMG]

7. Rob Woodside

Rob Woodside Member

In the last couple of years the dope stocks have blown most else out of the water, allowing anyone to build a nice gold and silver coin collection. I don't think we'll see any more big price spikes until the US legalizes. The Reefer Madness folk know this is a dot com bubble as the market has been cunningly destroyed by Heath Canada doling out too many grow permits which will over supply the market like in Oregon. I think it took a decade to get the dot com to bust and we have just had the first two good years with dope.
    Before entering the market I used to think that in short order you would see from the immediate results whether a decision was good or bad. The reality is that you'll never know. Only after whomever inherits and sells my coins for more than I paid, will anyone be able to say that it was a good decision to sell dope stocks and buy a few coins.

8. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

Perception becomes reality somtimes.

9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I think they would rather believe in past performance because they figure what was good then is still going to be good now and in the future. So they ignore the disclaimer that past performance is no guarantee of future performance. You would think the dotcom bubble would have taught them that.

My portfolio is mostly mutual funds, but I bought stocks based more or less on the Buffet model--buy into a company that you see or hear a lot of people use or talk about.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Do not allow this thread to go political ~ Read the Rules!

12. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

Stock market has always and likely will always be the best way to make money on an investment. Gold and silver should not be used to make money but rather hold money.

I know many if not all already know this but the title of the thread had me slightly perplexed.

13. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Just like a Twilight Zone episode, given enough time the things we cherish as wealth today could be worth squat in the future. It all depends on your life expectancy.

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry, but I can't agree with your position. Averages are just that.

The average of 12 and 2 is 7. Assuming hypothetically that an outcome is guaranteed to be repeated from just those two data points, 2 years have already long passed, meaning we are in a 12 year bull run. That the outcome would be either 2 or 12 years is no more or less reliable than your presumption that the historical average has any bearing on the duration of the current "bull market".

Faulty logic and / or bad data can deliver good results, but not a good decision.

Am I nervous about the market? No.

Why not? Because many barriers to profitability have been lifted, and a rising tide floats all ships . . . a good thing for consumers as well as companies . . . therefore a double benefit for companies . . . until wage inflation takes hold.

Am I bailing from PMs? No.

Why not? Because it took me a great deal of time and energy to assemble the hedging strategy I have in place. I'm not about to dismantle that to shift gears into another vehicle. I have other parked funds to move into the market less disruptively.

No one should be all-in any particular investment vehicle. Diversification via ownership of diverse equities, diverse properties or diverse collectibles is not diversification enough.

I'd shy away from inverse ETF's unless you are an absolute expert in the market, in which case you should be making a cool million per year working on Wall Street.

15. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The most hilarious thing about self-anointed Great Correctors is how they become the very thing they purport to be correcting.

Law 4: Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Whoa! “Shift gears”, “vehicle”, “parked funds”, all in one paragraph. You’re a car guy, huh?

17. V. Kurt Bellman

You’re absolutely correct! Time to put you on “ignore”. Buh-bye!

longnine009 likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Very few people do math in public, and even fewer should. ;)

19. V. Kurt Bellman

There, fixed it. You’re welcome. ;)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"Like" Clickbait again?? Good thing they are of no value.

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

think

... puppies ...

Draft saved Draft deleted