Is Maple Leaf the most difficult to counterfeit…

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Herberto, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

…in comparison with American Eagle, Philharmonic and Krugerrand?

I am asking because I see that Maple Leaf has a laser-thing engraved with the year it has been minted, and at the same time some radial lines are also added:
    [​IMG]

The others such of American Eagle, Philharmonic and Krugerrand do not have it.

So my question is: is Maple Leaf more difficult to make a counterfeit of giving the design? - or is it just a false sense of security in order to make people buy it?

I apologize if the question has been asked before. I found none.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I have not seen any counterfeit bullion except American SE and Chinese Pandas.

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ RE-MEMBER

I think so. It only makes sense that the more details on them would surely make them more difficult to reproduce with any accuracy. JMO.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If there are counterfeit Maple Leafs, they will be the earlier pieces pre-2014 or so. The detail and quality is hard to match. And specific gravity is a buyer's best friend in the end.

Jason.A likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Guardian of The Farce, & Dead-Eye Master

"Word."

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Maybe more difficult but not impossible ! where theres a will there is a way !

8. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

How often do you see counterfeit ASEs? If I have seen any, I haven't noticed them.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I have seen counterfeit ASEs. You can probably find them for sale on eBay. They are good enough to fool someone that isn't really familiar with them. I see more of the proof pieces counterfeited. The fonts are different, which is a quick giveaway.

Insider likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not that often.

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There were a few articles about a "new" batch that hit the market a few years ago. ICG had a story in CW and NN. If I remember, soon after NGC had a press release on their web site. I have not seen one in at least a year. I have seen a counterfeit Chinese gold piece (10 Yuan? Cannot remember) in a counterfeit NGC holder. It was given to me. I showed it to Rick at NGC. It is in my C/F collection. I just looked quickly and can't lay hands on it (unorganized - too many fakes in too many storage places :().

Draft saved Draft deleted