Is It Time For Silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Shhh / Yes it’s going way up. Been loading up. Word to wise / MS70 slabbed bullion coins / huge upside. Better hurry before supply bought up by savvy coin market investors.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If bullion is moving up, then pure bullion coins would probably do best.

I do have many MS70's but they probably would lag to the upside.

-jeffB likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

Actually, that's wrong...I have lots of MS69 AND 70 coins. Probably 50-50 or a bit more to the 69's.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No, you go ahead, I'll take my chances with gold! :D

6. GoldFinger1969

BARRONS last few weeks with repeat articles talking up bullish fundamentals for gold.....5G....semiconductors....solar...etc.

One perma-bull talking $100/oz. but I think getting past the double peaks of 1980 and 2011 of $50/oz. is more likely next year or so.

I think we COULD see $100 silver by 2025, though 2030 more practical.

Scott J likes this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

What percentage of that increase do you see as Demand driven and what percentage as Currency driven?

8. GoldFinger1969

I made a typo...while BARRONS is bullish somewhat on silver, the repeat articles are for SILVER. :D

I mistyped gold for silver and then typed silver later in my comments. The feature articles were on silver.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  9. GoldFinger1969

Currency irrelevant. Demand and lack of major supply coming onstream.

Should be some articles talking about the increase in silver for 5G and semiconductors and giving numbers. I'll look around.

-jeffB likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Too late to edit the post?

11. GoldFinger1969

Yup, the EDIT feature disappeared. :oops:

5G...semiconductors....Solar....these are underpinning SILVER demand, not gold.:cigar:

-jeffB likes this.
  12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

You think an additional $5 Trillion in government debt won't impact commodity prices? I guess we'll find out! :eek:

13. GoldFinger1969

Maybe...maybe not.

If you tell me real GDP growth will be >6% later this year, that is probably more important. Debt today matters for maybe 2050. If you doubt me, ask yourself how long it took all the Greek debt and dumb economic policies to blow up in their faces (answer: decades).

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

My experience has been that rapid increases in Silver have been generally fueled by speculation. As prices rise, less productive mines are brought back online as people begin selling their physical silver stacks. If that's not enough to pop the bubble, Regulators step in and raise margin requirements. It happens every time.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4373933-warning-misleading-silver-supply-and-demand-data

"My message is not that the Silver Institute's reports are useless; they contain all sorts of valuable data. I'm just skeptical of any conclusion derived from a silver market balance-surplus or deficit. To me, it makes more sense to focus on variables that also drive the price of gold - such as inflation, risk, and interest rates - to get a feel for silver sentiment."

15. GoldFinger1969

Ultimately, supply and demand determine the price.

If you tell me inflation will run 5-6% for a few quarters, maybe that matters.

Using the past is not relevant because the post-1973 period was literally A New World as we unshackled from Bretton Woods, ditched the gold standard, let currencies float (or sink), and commodities took off.

They NEVER recaptured that except for a few brief moments in the 40 years since.

16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

That's only half the story. All PMs rise and fall not only relative to supply and demand of the PM, but also relative to the Supply/Demand of its denominated currency...Dollar, Pound, Yen, whatever.

For me, that's always been an indisputable "fact". However, if you can dispute it, I'm all ears. :vulcan:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  17. BobStockington

BobStockington New Member

Just started started shifting to more silver purchase myself.

Scott J, GoldFinger1969 and yakpoo like this.
  18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Welcome to CT!

19. GoldFinger1969

Ditto !

20. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

What do you think about this trade.. The seller or trader 1914 2 1/2 Gold Indian for 27.00 face value 90% Silver I offered 70 Washingtons he came back with 110 Washingtons. I got about 260.00 in two rolls on the high side. but he stuck with it and got 27.00 face value.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

$27 FV is around $530 fiat. Is that a good price for a quarter eagle? Depends a whole lot on the quarter eagle. It's nearly 2.5x melt for a quarter eagle, but they don't trade at melt unless there's a big problem or someone's being taken.

I don't understand what "260.00 in two rolls on the high side" means...?

slackaction1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted