is it still a good time to buy ASE's or will they drop soon to buy more?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Sep 4, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

is it still a good time to buy ASE's or will the silver price drop and thus cause their price to drop soon to then allow me to buy more?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Its always a good time to buy a little. Especially if you dollar cost average and are diversified. THis whole thing (market/money) is based on peoples emotions. Take out the emotion, base what you do on what you (and/or competent advisor) think. Plan long term and rethink at least yearly. Many people tend to think short term instead of long term. Be like the breeze. Steadily picking up grains of sand and slowly eroding mountains. Changing direction a little as needed. DOn't be the hurricane or tornado and try to smash through. Usually it'll just leave a mess to clean up and a tornado doesn't work against mountains anyway.

4. AlexN2coins2004

I'm not asking to make a quick $.50 or a buck I just want to get as much as I can with my money like this

$500/$18 ea=27.77 or say 28 ASE if I add alittle more money

$500/$15 ea=33.33 or say 34 ASE if I add alittle more money

I would rather have the 6 more if especially if it hits $25-$50/oz

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

would you rather have 6 more if the price went back to $8 an oz?

6. AlexN2coins2004

6 more would still better then what I would be at with 6 less

especially if any of those 6 were ones I wanted in my actual collection and not just for bullion

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

In that case I would check the bullion charts for the days/months where bullion tends to be lower and buy based on that. I think the last friday of the month is a good time to buy. Probably not the right time of year though. Maybe a 6mo cd and see where prices are then since time isn't the factor here.

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If your goal and choice is to make the maximum possible theoretical profit, or nothing at all, then you should get out of investing in metals completely because your goal is unattainable. Basically you're too late. I think you need to learn to set more achievable goals and be satisfied if they work out well.

Given the criteria you set, I think you should wait for the lower price you seek.

9. AlexN2coins2004

but that's the problem will it go down?? if I would have been capable of buying silver back in jan/feb of this year I would have instead of trying to catch up now

10. Cloudsweeper99

Nobody knows the future, and it is pointless to develop an investment strategy that depends on perfect knowledge. You have to start from where you stand, as if the past never existed. The market doesn't know or care about what you want or need. If you want ASEs buy them -- but be prepared to lose if the price declines. If you want to buy them cheaper, wait -- but be prepared to lose if the price rises.

Why not buy half of what you want? If the price continues to go up, you'll make some money. If the price drops, you'll be able to average down.

11. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round....

Wheels on the bus go round and round you best buy some rounds

12. willyj

willyj Living the Dream**

Bullion investing is for the long haul. Remember "Capital Preservation" Your $500 will will more than likely purchase less a year from now.

13. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I have lost money on every coin I sold. If I sold on eBay the fees got me. If to my dealer the Greysheet got me (big difference between what the retail price of a coin is and what a dealer will buy back for). I needed some money and decided I didn't want all my proof sets (sold 1999-2009). He bought my 1999 for $190. I paid $330 at the height of the mania on quarters. At least it's a write off for me. Hope this gives some perspective. I have bought a few diamonds in the rough and rehabed them. Lost tons of money on selling gold St Guadens at the wrong time. Buy low sell high.

14. Cloudsweeper99

You mean that you haven't been a good investor???:D

15. Cloudsweeper99

As long as "long" doesn't mean forever, I agree. But I can forsee the day perhaps 5 to 10 years in the future when I won't own any silver or gold bullion, and I'll be on to the next thing. Nothing is always good or always bad.

16. WLhalves

WLhalves Member

Alex you have to ask yourself where do you think this is going to take you? In this scenario with 6 more coins at a spot price at least double what it is now, that would be an extra 200 dollars. In the grand scheme of things that is not going to keep you from your dreams is it? I feel the best thing you can do is buy ASE's as you can and not let yourself stress about what 6 more or 6 less is really going to mean.

A lot of the members here have been lifetime collectors and sellers and, I have yet to read a thread that silver or gold is what made them Bill Gates or Donald Trumps neighbor. There is no get rich quick schemes in numismatics. I will tell you that most of us sleep well at night knowing that in case of an emergency, we have a nice little nest egg, on top of having it, we get to look at it and show it off.

Stick around and you will learn what this hobby is really about. Good luck in whatever choice you choose, hope to see you on the boards.

17. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

18. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

keep buying. it should go and break the $20.00 within a year.

19. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

bullion coins are not an investment, they are a hopeful speculation in future profits. you can only guess at future value. your guess will easily be as good as a so-called expert guess

collector coins are not an investment they are for personal enjoyment regardless of dollar value. You can still enjoy that Walker or Buff long after you forget what you paid.

20. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

A comment was made about "no get rich quick shemes" in numismatics.

There are some...The Home Shopping Network, and those dopey, "free coins with a safe" ads that you see in major newspapers.

Others include selling normal, new, everyday pocket change for a premium until the coins finally hit the banks.

Get rich quick schemes make someone else rich....:)

21. Cloudsweeper99

I misspoke. Bullion coins are not and investment. They are also not a speculation. Gold and silver are much closer in nature to the category of alternative currencies, much like the Euro and Yen. Now, YOU may be guessing at the future value, but I prefer to analyze the fundamentals of the metals market and make my decisions from the results of the analysis.

I agree collector coins are USUALLY not an investment. The entire national network of coin dealers depends on most collectors sharing and accepting that belief. It all depends on what you buy and what you pay.

Draft saved Draft deleted