Is it Common.......

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Mar 7, 2021.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Is it common to find ancients (I'm talking Lysimachus with diademed head of Alexander III tetradrachms) struck from EXACTLY the same dies or is it a fairly rare occurrence? I purchased one about three years ago and have just stumbled upon another one which is from exactly the same obverse and reverse dies. In fact it was the reverse die that caught my attention and made me take a closer look.

Would it be cool to have two identical examples? What do you think?

I'm sure thousands of tetradrachms were struck to pay the armies but still.......!!!

Don't want to post pictures as one is a current auction and I don't want to fall foul of forum rules.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

One of my favorite types!
    Not too uncommon to find die matches of the type. As you cited, many were struck by some talented die engravers.
    My example leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm still plenty happy to have one to share:
    20190326_140125_5CCAFDA4-7F83-4C1E-B272-325191995DC3-406-000000AF818F6F98.png

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I have a nice pair of antoniniani from the Divi series, in the name of Severus Alexander, struck with the same obverse die, and with the two types of different reverses (altar and eagle)

0240-510.jpg

0240-520.jpg

Q

5. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Die-identical coins turn up quite frequently.

The Eauze hoard, found in 1985, published in 1992, provided an exceptional example: buried about 258 AD, it contained 28054 coins, including 1184 die-identical antoniniani of Valerian I, plus 1045 more from the same obv. die but a different rev. die. Obviously these coins must have come more or less straight from the mint!

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I think a pair of die-matched coins would be cool

it’s when the flans match too that I get scared...

7. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

kountryken and panzerman like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i'm wid @Fritznigel
    ..it'd be kool :)

kountryken and panzerman like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Me too!

kountryken and ominus1 like this.