Is it better to buy standard weight coins, or just most gold weight for dollar?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by TracyB, Jun 13, 2020.

1. TracyB

TracyB New Member

I've enjoyed buying silver coins and bullion for a long time, and I recently got interested in buying fractional gold coins as well, perhaps even assembling a modest type collection. Mainly though, I want to use the coins as a place to store money that I am able to save up in a slightly less liquid form, so that in the future I may be able to sell them close to what I buy them for if needed. And if they go up in value that's great too. So should I try to get the most gold weight for my dollar whenever I buy a coin? One time the best value in my price range was a Danish 10 kroner at .1296 agw, another time a Mexican 5 peso at .1205 oz, another time a modern US $5 commemorative at .2419 oz., and just today I bought an Austrian 1 ducat at .1106 oz. When I decide to sell these in the future would I be better off with standardized weight coins, such as 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, etc? Or does it not matter? thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

It cost more money to make the fractional weights so the premium is higher on those. If you are me I could only afford to buy the smallest 1/10 or there is always the Mexican 2 pesos small gold coin. I have been buying coins for my world coins collection. Bullion can wait for me.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind you have 0 guarantee that you can sell any bullion for more in the future. Metals prices go down you're sunk in the cost same as if buy sell spreads go up.

If you enjoy it go for it, but don't view metals as an investment unless you have a ton of money to throw at them

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Standardized weight is always best, and American gold is always best to buy! It's easier to sell as well, at least here in the US. That said, I've made a lot of exceptions to the rule as I like foreign gold as well, but I only bought 1/10ths in the foreign category. :D Lastly, hold what you have as everyone is buying gold right now and the price is slowly climbing upward! :cigar: Just look at the prices on ebay for an American Gold Eagle 1/10th, the prices are unbelievable!

6. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Tier one government (Eagles, Maple Leaves, Philharmonics, Kangaroos and krugerrand ) 1/10 and 1/20 are best with my understanding that Eagles are the best

Draft saved Draft deleted