Is investing in 1 oz Silver Coins a Good Idea

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Coolcoinz2014, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Its better then investing in paper money I can tell you that. Silver and Gold will ALWAYS be worth something. It will never be worth nothing, so other then land its probably the best investment you can do. Just don't plan on getting rich off of it, think of it as simply a savings account, but one you can hold and enjoy :)

Bman33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I look at my stash of silver as a savings account too. If it keeps growing it will become a small annuity 25 years from now.

Camreno likes this.
  4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

A savings account that gives you no return until you sell it all. Be cautious. Don't over save in metals. No more than 5-10% max of your total savings.

FryDaddyJr and Bman33 like this.
  5. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

How do you know silver wont go up? I'm pretty sure it will, because it always does!

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

My savings account doesn't pay off squat.

7. myownprivy

*face palm*

8. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Was that a face palm for yourself? Because history has shown us that silver goes UP and DOWN just like everything else in this world... take a look at some of those graphs ;)

9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Silver has been on the decline since 2011. That is true. There have only been a couple of Bear runs in modern history. But I don't put a lot of money in it, and the stuff I do put in I have fun. My coin roll hunting keeps my cost per ounce down.

10. myownprivy

It's a facepalm because you either didn't read (or worse) understand my post!

You do understand that as your silver physically sits there it earns you no money? You understand that the only way for you to get a return on your investment is when you sell it?

On the other hand, stocks and savings account return your investment to you on a regular basis BEFORE you liquidate it.

The smartest investments are ones that give regular returns.

Precious metals have a role to play in investment, but if they play more than a 5-10% of a role you're a fool. They are there as a hedge against inflation, as a physical, beautiful thing to look at and actually hold. But they take up space and provide you with a return only when you sell it. Thus, they're not a wise primary investment.

Yes, they will almost certainly be way up in value decades from now. Consider it an extra savings account or retirement account and you're in good shape.

11. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

And what happens when all those portfolios you have are invested into stocks and bonds that crash hmm? What happens then? Or what happens if the WHOLE stock market crashes? You're gonna wish you had some Silver and Gold then. That type of saving, IE 401ks is pretty much gambling with your money, except your not the one doing it.

12. myownprivy

*hands you a tinfoil hat.*
    *hands you a Ron Paul bumper sticker*
    *quietly walks away to the more rational places on the internet I frequent*

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If the dollar went to 0 gold and silver won't keep you alive.

All he was saying is was that it shouldn't be a sizable portion of someones portfolio.

14. Aquahollic

Aquahollic ֍ E Pluribus Unum ֎

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It really doesnt matter what type of PM you invest in be in generic rounds, Bars
    Or bullion coins going to be about the same unless you buy designer which i avoid
    always harder to get that premium back.

Draft saved Draft deleted