Is investing in 1 oz Silver Coins a Good Idea

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Coolcoinz2014, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

All commodities follow the pattern you cite: be it metals, oil, natural gas, corn, cotton, soybeans and livestock.

baseball21 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yup, just trying to splash some common sense around.
    There are exceptions, but some times there's gov't programs to help certain industries when supplies are way up, and prices down.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Unfortunately, precious metals buyers are constantly hammered through advertising and website pitches that create the impression that basic economics has nothing to do with silver and gold.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Or that metals are the only real economics. But like has been said a thousand times before, if sellers actually believed the hype they push they would only be buying not trading their metals for dollars

Santinidollar and FryDaddyJr like this.
  6. Clawcoins

Unfortunately they do. IRA PMs, TV (as mentioned, then they go to sell and find out the real truth), etc. Luckily we're a bit more educated here. I know people that buy silver/gold ONLY through TV. Many that buy silver/gold in places like Facebook don't know where to get the stuff for cheaper, and don't even know that you can get stuff directly from the US Mint. It all depends upon how deeply people research a particular thing and how much they believe the spoken word on tv / print, etc.

This type of commodity reselling doesn't happen with perishable commodities. Imagine a Cheese TV channel referencing grey sheet cheese sales !!

PMs have always been visually to people as jewelry based. And the jewelry market is full of multiples of actual cost to capitalize on labor costs, overhead and profitability though maintaining a large inventory.

7. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

yep. why would those fools sell the shiny for worthless paper??

8. baseball21

I have found it humorous and rather telling how the TV commercials have constantly been changing the time periods to be able to say that silver is up x percentage since 20xx.

9. Clawcoins

You can easily say that Silver was UP in 2016 ... January 1 vs Dec 31 spot prices. As long as you didn't buy in between you are fine :)

[​IMG]

10. baseball21

Exactly. There is a way to play the PM game and some people can do quite well, but it is not assured and there are no floor prices and the prices do not have to ever go back up like some people say

11. Clawcoins

they feed off of people's "hope" of making easy money buying at an inflated $$ now in hopes of hitting $50 again. Only realizing when nothing happens quickly and they sell, they find out they were deceived.
    [​IMG]

12. baseball21

That's exactly what it is. I think by the time we see 50 again it won't have been worth the wait, but time will tell

13. Santinidollar

A lot of these TV gold commercials are aimed at luring people in with bullion sales, then high-pressuring them to buy vastly overpriced and vastly overgraded classic gold coins. That, I suspect, is where the real money is for the sellers. The financial losses sustained by the buyers has been well documented.

No thank you, William Devane and Pat Boone.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

just remember there are many many worse things you can spend your money on, and at least you have something to show for it

15. baseball21

I'm just talking from an investment standpoint or profit point. If someone just likes it and wants it because they love it by all means go right ahead, the enjoyment of it would be the important part in that case

16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

right. there are a lot of gold bugs who poison forums stating that doomsday is right around the corner and investing everything in metals is the only choice.

17. baseball21

That's really what I wanted to correct. I will never criticize someone for collecting what they like as long as it's within their budget. Everyone enjoys different things.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

19. Clawcoins

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Back to 1 ounce coins. ASE's vs. Generic Rounds. I vote rounds for investment purposes because the round trip is less. I can get rounds online for $.69-$.79 over spot and sell them back at spot. ASE's right now are going for over $3.00 over spot and the buy back is usually $1.50, sometimes lesss, from a dealer. Round trip is $1.74.

21. Don P

Don P Active Member

The thing to keep in mind is: with bullion silver coins, you'll need that buyer on the other side willing to pay the high price if/when silver does shoot up in value. If the price shoots up, the buyer supply will go down making it hard to sustain the high price. This is because of a large influx if silver sellers hitting the market that were hoarding it all these years. Simple supply vs demand. The numismatic valued coins will always carry their value.

On the other hand, if you would have purchased a silver ETF, such as Ishares SLV, you login and click that sell button at any time.... Done!

No Ebay fees associated with selling the coins/shipping and storage of all those coins in a safe area in your house/bank.

Just my 2 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted