Is Hoarding Pre-1982 Copper Cents Pointless!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by dctjr80, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Should You Hoard, Savings Account, or Just Spend Normally Pre-1982 Copper Cents?

1. Yes, Hoard them and guard them with your life!!!

134 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Don't Be Silly, earn interest and put them into a Savings Account!!!

29 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. It's a Cent, Just Spend IT Already!!!

57 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Those rydale sorters are neat, but 500 bucks is way out of my league.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

If you like saving them...then knock yourself out. If you're asking if there are better investments? ...the anser is "yes".

4. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I believe Hoarding won over Savings account. I did check to see "what if", If I put $300 into a savings account in 1980 at an interest rate of 2.0%, This year it would have hit $543.41, Now if I had just went to the bank and taken $300 Dollars worth of pennies and put them into the closet for 30 years at todays price I would be sitting on $672 worth of Actual copper weight. Hoarding wins :)
    *Note* That I was only comparing 0 risk options, this doesn't really show the possibilities of investing strategically.

5. coin_man_95

coin_man_95 Senior Member

copper bullion is pointless unless you can find spools of copper wire for free :)

6. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

why not when now they are worth at least 1.5X face and picking from bank rolls? ppl used to push aside Morgans bec. they were so numerous

7. I voted: It's a Cent, Just Spend IT Already!!! However, if someone is having fun saving them I do not see the harm of it. It is all about enjoyment. TC

8. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Nothing of value is pointless.

I just proved how holding copper bullion out did putting the same amount of money into a savings account, or do you view savings accounts as pointless as well:thumb:

9. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

My attitude is, if I find one in change, to save it. I probably have 1,000 circulated 1950-1982 bronze cents. It doesn't cost me any effort to put them aside and I haven't lost any money by "hoarding" them. That 1,000 coins translates to $10, so I'm not concerned about lost opportunity costs because I didn't invest that $10. And if bronze cents do eventually have a premium (like wheaty's), then I'm ahead of the game.

In a similar vein, if you see a cent lying in the street will stop and pick it up? or is 1¢ not worth the effort?

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Its not going to hurt anything to hoard them, but with people stealing copper pipes from schools right now, might be worth it in while. IDK tought :)

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Depends on which side of the coin is showing. Worst day of my life was when I picked up a "tails".......

12. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Pennies and nickels both have copper, why give them to the bank at nothing %? --yes, I'm hoarding the physical which is endangered: In the Netherlands they want to go to a cashless society in five years, all money will be virtual, gone with the click of a keystroke. I pay with cash too, wherever I can. And if things get stranger, I will change my bank savings into rolls of coins (too heavy to steal) stick them in the attic, and the bank can go whistle.

13. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Differs

I was taught different standards. There used to be a little rhyme that went with finding a heads up coin. Something about it bringing good luck.

Tails up means you just got a freebie.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's probably pointless. I'm going to keep them anyway because (1) someday they might have a value greater than today, and (2) I can't bring myself to spend something worth 2 cents and only get 1 cent worth of merchandise in return. It's a hobby after all.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am sure if had home computer's back in 1958 folks would be saying spend them wheat cents too.
    who know what in 20 year or so what a nice spot free unc red/brown LMC will be worth?
    :D

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Even if melting wasn't against the law - a scrap yard would not pay full melt value. My guess is they would be discounted significantly - 25% or so.

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

That's still 66% above face value even with the discount.

18. holz

holz holz

Maybe only worth 2.2212 cents today, but should be on an upward trend with the inflation that is going to come. Also the nickel is worth more then 5 cents.

19. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

The reality is they are worth one cent today, yesterday or tommorow and not one cent more.
    There is no place to sell them that I know of and it is not currently even legal to smelt them.
    Try opening up a retail shop buying and selling these then come back and tell us how much money you are making.
    This topic is so worn out it's beyond me to even figure why on earth it still gets postings, but that shows what I know.
    I cannot figure out the value of something sitting in your basement unsold with no place to even possible sell it, and then to beat it all you keep adding to it.
    Can some one fill me in on this???

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I don't understand why some of the people who don't keep them seem to get emotional about it.

I keep 'em, and it isn't much of a bother. I don't roll search cents all the time, but when I do, it gives me something to keep and save. If I need the money, then I can spend them. However, I think they will sell for a premium in the future. JMHO

21. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I don't search rolls, but I do go through my change and put my coppers in a bowl on my shelf. Don't know if I'll make any money, but those few bucks I have saved might come in handy when my wallet gets a little light.

Draft saved Draft deleted