Is copper the new silver? Prices higher. Bullion in bulk, likely to pay off?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ValpoBeginner, Nov 3, 2017.

?

Can I turn in my copper pennies for melt value?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2017.
  1. No

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Thank you,
    My family and I have 6 hives or apiaries. We just did our fall harvest and I came across the round in shopping for winter feed for the "girls" as we like to call them.

( Of course there's male bees too or drones.... but the girls kill off the drones every fall, until the queen decides spring is here again.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValpoBeginner

That's a great idea.. especially with the proof style smooth fields. I appreciate your shared wisdom.

4. ValpoBeginner

I also have a few of the NORFED copper rounds that have numismatic value. I liked the idea of this when it came around.

Kinda like, William Jennings Bryant, and the issues surrounding the election of 1896. It was all about bi-metalism back then. I often think about the course of History had be won.... We might not be a superpower today, if McKinley hadn't won.

5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

When I saw a reply to this post, I was assuming it was a few years old when some people started considering copper investment worthy. Unfortunately, I see the thread was started yesterday. I can't believe there are still suckers on board with copper speculation.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

If you'll forgive my veering away from your copper topic and onto the side topic of apiaries for a moment, this neat old building is up the road from me a bit.

I've always found it picturesque but never stopped to take my own pictures of it, so I borrowed some from here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ValpoBeginner

Suckers here? nah just an error in understanding the price was for pounds of copper not ounces.

But I'm sure you can appreciate this year's percentage in price gain compared to silver and gold.

Currently:
    Copper: 3.1040 per Lb. YTD gain (37.38%)
    Silver:16.8744 per Oz. YTD gain (-8.50)
    and
    Gold: 1271.35 per Oz YTD gain
    (- 2.93%)
    Silver 16.8744

looks like there is only one positive YTD percentage.

If you disagree with Copper speculators better check your numbers first.

8. ValpoBeginner

Very cool.

9. ValpoBeginner

Copper investors won big this year, but not by buying Copper rounds.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, don't get me wrong, some of the one-ounce copper rounds are really interesting and I have bought a few, but always bid and re-bid on them until I get one for $1 to $2. Maybe I can image some...

11. ValpoBeginner

That would be cool.

12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

In order for you to get back your $2 per piece back (think about that for a moment: if copper were $3.15 per ounce, as you claimed, why would anyone sell you one ounce copper rounds for $2?), copper would need to get to about $40 per pound, since it'd still be viewed as a base metal and would be discounted for the effort needed to turn it into something usable.

I'm not sure it's likely that copper will go from $3.12 (actual $3.119 as of 3 Nov 2017) to $40 per pound in the next 40 years. It was 60-cents 40 years ago, and seems to double every 20 yrs or so, peak-to-peak. In it's best 20-year period (again, P2P), it almost tripled. Even with that, you would be losing money on this "investment" 40 years from now... in today's dollars.

Industrial/base metals tend to be reflective of inflation, due to their consumption. Even if your copper slugs were "worth" $2.50 per ounce in 40 years, that would be in 2057 dollars... or approximately 62-cents in 2017 dollars (based upon 1977-2017 inflation rates). (That's a whopping 3.33% real net growth aggregated over 40 years for an actual investment in copper, BTW.)

That 37% upswing is a nice reversal after the preceding four years of downtrend...

Consider copper dropped from $3.70 to $1.27-ish in the second half of 2008.

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

These cost less than $2 each:
    zombucks copper front.JPG zombucks copper back.JPG

Copper lover and Curtisimo like this.
  14. ValpoBeginner

Cool Zombucks! Hope it never comes to an Zombie Apocalypse, but I'm ready for it. I'll leave the guns at home ( except the 12 gauge) and take my Brush Master machete out on the neighborhood zombies.

"Reporter: Chief, if I were surrounded by eight or ten of these things, would I stand a chance with them?

Sheriff McClelland: Well, there's no problem. If you have a gun, shoot 'em in the head. That's a sure way to kill 'em. If you don't, get yourself a club or a torch. Beat 'em or burn 'em. They go up pretty easy."-Night of the Living Dead' 68

My favorite one is" Dawn of the Dead"-1978

The new zombie movies are really scary.... might need some advanced weaponry for those guys.

Cool rounds... thanks for the post.

15. lordmarcovan

I never understood the appeal of Zombucks, personally, but to each his own.

16. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

People like throwing away money. Some feel that throwing it away at smaller rates/quantities is a form of sensibility.

17. lordmarcovan

Eh, well. I can't talk. I've thrown plenty of money away at my own brands of rubbish.

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Copper's biggest problem is that it's "heavy", as an old-timer told me about Silver. You have to store too much of it compared to value. You would have to load a pickup full to buy anything.

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

They make great poker chips.

20. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

What a good idea. Thanks.

21. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

And the gas to haul it to the store might cost more than the copper might be worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted