Is bigger always better when it comes to bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Gam3rBlake, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

How many savvy investors have investment advisors? I have never spoken to one altruistic investment advisor because it's all about the money. The analogy of not putting all of your eggs in one basket is ridiculous because, in practice, this is what was done for centuries. No one gathered or stored eggs individually, but advisors are the first to use this phrase and, yes, I understand diversifying a portfolio. Can they build build financial wealth for you, yes, but it's going to cost you for this advice. If you are a small fish in the large pool of an advisor, you will be one of the last consulted when calamity arises because the big fish always get first priority.
    Now, before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I and many other people I have spoken to, have first hand experience of how the system works. Remember, you are a minnow, your advisor is a perch, most Wall Street advisors are sharks and then there are the whales. My advice, become market learned and DIY.

GoldFinger1969 and midas1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

My basket has a hole in it.

4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"You can find that advice all over the place."

I've never read or heard that.
    Because "it's all over the place" doesn't mean it's sound advice.
    qanon is all over the place that doesn't mean qanon is credible.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    slackaction1 likes this.
  5. kcg777

kcg777 New Member

I like to diversify the size of my PM holdings. The smaller (higher premium) coins and bars will get you more per ounce when you sell them too. So, its not like you lose all that premium you pay when you buy them. So, I prefer 10 oz or less.

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You've got a good source for selling to if you get more per ounce on smaller coins or bars when you sell. Where I am spot is spot. Weight times % purity +/- premium is the rule of thumb.

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I apologize for my ignorance, but, what is "PM"?

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Precious Metals

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thank you. I know there are those that use abbreviations, but their are other or newbies that need notes on the abbreviations so that we can understand and learn.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Sometimes I go for smaller. Meaning, I'd rather buy two half ounce AGE'S than a full ounce. The only reason is if I have to sell one, I'll still have the other! :D

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't think so. If the price goes up and you try and sell, a lot of places that buy won't.

12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

I don't believe you.

13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

nonsense.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Key word is portfolio. Except for the free money from 401k match at work, one should not have a portfolio unless s/he has enough money to live on a couple of months at least, (taking care of unexpected bill issue you raised earlier), credit card bills paid, etc. Only after those things are paid for, you worry about a portfolio. This is because you need some financial security so you do not need to liquidate a long term investment to pay a bill, and you will never get risk free the same return that credit cards and similar debts make you pay.

Having said that, bigger pm is a harder sell, its more industrial uses than collectors. Most are better off sticking with 1 ouncers.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ask and ye shall receive (usually with a smartass comment on CT) :)

16. medoraman

Always best to read up yourself of course. However, their ARE altruistic financial advisors, they are called friends. I help friends all of the time who come to me for explanations, advise, etc. My background is accounting, MBA Finance, etc and teach friends and friends of friends frequently. Yeah, the guys in expensive offices are mainly salesmen, I hope most know that. Just following advice and pitches put together at corporate. So, DIY and find some friends who may know something. Many people here are very knowledgeable, read threads here and you can learn a lot. Maybe start with posts by @-jeffB, @GoldFinger1969 and a few others here I apologize for forgetting right now.

slackaction1 and Kentucky like this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Funny...

"The specific amount of your portfolio that should be dedicated to precious metals varies depending on your circumstances. Some individuals may do well with as much as 20% of their investments in precious metals; however, others may do better with as little as 1%.

How much should I invest in Precious Metals? | Provident "

"10 percent

It's generally recommended that you not invest more than five percent to 10 percent of your portfolio in precious metals. Investing in the metal is the best course. You should plan to hold gold bullion coins or gold bars if you want to hold the metal itself.Apr 4, 2019

Investing In Gold - Is It Time To Add Some To Your Portfolio? "

Just the first two I googled

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  18. medoraman

Absent knowing everything else a person owns, this is an unknowable figure. If most of someone's assets are in farmland, no pm could be the right number, or if most is in US based stocks 10% is fine. Depends on overall financial wealth composition to answer intelligently.

19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

In theory a fiduciary is a person or organization that acts on behalf of another person or persons, putting their clients' interest ahead of their own, with a duty to preserve good faith and trust.

20. medoraman

Yes, but that can still be "tweaked" and be done in a manner that increases the firms revenues. There are lots of excuses to put client money into higher fee products. Not all are BS, but some kind of are. Even with fiduciary duty do not be fooled returns the firm receives for different products are ignored completely. LOTS of ways compensation can flow.

21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Draft saved Draft deleted