Is acid damaged bullion worth less?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Gam3rBlake, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Ok so this may sound really stupid..

But I got my first ever acid-testing kit and I’ve never done acid-testing so I decided to get a silver bullion coin that I knew was genuine so I could see the results and learn how it’s supposed to work..

I didn’t have any junk silver on hand or I would’ve used that. I have a couple tubes of 2020 American Silver Eagles and I took one of those and dropped a bit of silver acid on it.

Yes I know a scratch stone is easier and less destructive. But this was for science!

My question is: Is my acid damaged American Silver Eagle worth less than melt now?

Or is it still worth melt like junk silver but just not the small premium ASEs usually fetch?

Thanks!

20A1802E-E202-4C75-8118-26F8131B85A9.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm not experienced in testing Metals but isn't that a lot of test material on the coin ?

4. Gam3rBlake

Yeah it was my first time and the dropper kind of dripped the acid faster than I expected.

But I also wanted a very large and clear example and the coin is basically just a test subject. I knew I was ruining it but I felt it was worth what I learned in terms of how acid testing works.

Now I’m just curious if it’s worth melt. XD

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't see why that doesn't clean up, no ? Is that stuff for just bullion ?

6. Gam3rBlake

Yeah it’s an acid so it actually eats into the coin itself. You can clean up the liquid acid but the damage is already done.

With silver the liquid will turn red, with other metals it changes to other colors so you can identify if it’s silver or not. It can also identify an approximation of the purity of the silver.

They also have gold acid testing kits. Because gold is a non-reactive metal the acid won’t do anything to it. But other metals it will chew right through. Including silver.

So if you put a drop of it on a real gold coin it doesn’t do any damage. But fakes it destroys. Gotta love that!

Jeffjay likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Um, yeah, you just lost any and all premium on that coin and will have trouble selling. Only one who wants that would truly be a smelter, who always pays the least in the industry.

8. Gam3rBlake

That’s fine. I wasn’t expecting it to be resold as an American Silver Eagle.

But I’m guessing a bullion dealer would pay something for it just because it can be melted down into new bars or rounds.

I mean I’m guessing it’s not something I should just throw in the trash.

As I said it was just a learning experience. I have other 2020 ASEs so I don’t mind. Now I know how acid testing works.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Ok, up to you. Myself I would have bought some junk round or small bar and practiced on that. I don't like practicing on coins myself if I can help it. I would expect that to sell for $4 or 5 back of melt to a dealer. I have done similar things in life, but just got numismatically worthless stuff to practice on. You don't lose the premium, and hey, you gain another ounce of silver anyway. :)

10. Gam3rBlake

I was going to do that but I didn’t have any junk silver on hand and it would’ve cost me more in gas and time to go down and buy some from a coin dealer and online would take forever.

I’ll probably just keep it as a test coin that I can abuse and treat roughly whenever I need to do a test that requires a silver coin.

At least then I’m only ruining one coin over and over instead of multiple coins.

11. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

No silver jewelry? I am curious about the coin's extensive fingerprints. It looks as if the coin was improperly handled even before the test. Interestingly, the acid didn't erase the fingerprints within the acid-tested area.

12. Gam3rBlake

Nah I pulled it straight out of a US Mint tube.

All the fingerprints are due to rough handling after the acid test but before the photo.

Once I acid tested it there was no more need to be delicate with it.

73821957-6266-4B7F-B94A-C778528964D9.jpeg

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Use it as a pocket piece.

Garlicus and Gam3rBlake like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's worth spot pricing.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I bought an older 1 ounce silver engelhard bar from a pawn shop.
    Had a white sticky price tag on the back .
    I negotiated a better deal and took it home.
    When I got the sticker off someone has tested it with acid for silver content and left a blue spot etched into the back of the bar.
    DOH...
    Next time I went to the shop I asked about the test spot, the clerk said they acid test every time.

16. Gam3rBlake

So are you saying that even though it’s ruined as an American Silver Eagle it’s still good .999 silver that can be used for other purposes?

If so that’s great! It means it’s not trash to be thrown in the garbage.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The test didn't cost you much. Give it a quick dip and see what you have.

18. Collecting Nut

If silver as it should be, then it's worth spot pricing. As a ASE, it will never be worth more as a collectible. No, do not toss in the trash. Lol

19. Gam3rBlake

Believe it or not I don’t even know how to dip.

If I did I would’ve surely done it to some of my silver bullion coins that have awful purple toning.

Like this one. O_O

BB19E7CE-6D0D-41B4-9015-838D2249C21D.jpeg

20. Gam3rBlake

That’s what I’m trying to figure out xD.

I was asking if I should still keep it because even if it’s acid damage it’s still good .999 silver.

It’s not an American Silver Eagle anymore but I’m sure it could be melted down into a nice shiny 1oz silver bar or round.

21. Collecting Nut

It's still an ASE, just damaged. It still contains silver so keep it.

Draft saved Draft deleted