Is a monster box a good storage option for silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Who uses monster boxes to store silver in tubes? And if so, what is your preference?

JCKTJK likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I cant afford that much silver :p

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't believe that the square tubes in the "Monster" boxes are any better than the normal square tubes made specifically for each denomination. Personally, I would rather have the specific size for each denomination so the coins wouldn't just rattle around inside every time I moved the box.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. myownprivy

I'm thinking more in terms of a solid box in which to store full airtite tubes of 20 1 oz coins in individual airtites. An airtite tube that holds 20 is approximately the size of a government tube that holds 25. Will these fit in a silver Maple or Krugerrand monster box, for instance?

6. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

My collection is small so far but I do use a monster box for silver plus other coins.
    I throw in three Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each to be on the safe side.
    (500-Coin_1_oz_Silver American Eagle Box)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Not sure why you wish to store in a monster box. Put them in non-reactive tubes and double zip lock bag them with sacrificial roughed up zincolns in the space between the 2 bags and will protect them much better than a monster box. If it is to be a "Bug out" bag, put the zip lock bags in a military type back pack. Monster boxes say steal me. IMO. Jim

Mernskeeter and midas1 like this.
  8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I'd just as well convert the silver to gold and save space that way if I had enough silver to warrant the use of a monster box to begin with.

ilmcoins likes this.
  9. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

Just a convenient way to store my coins. Keep them all together and in my safe.

JCKTJK likes this.
  10. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I have three, one for rounds, one for bars and one for 90%....Not a fan of the ASE box, I have two from the Royal Canadian Mint and one from Perth.

11. Mr Roots

Here the one I have out right now. 330 ounces of 90%

Attached Files:

12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I was going to say Dang wouldn't that be a bit heavy when full?
    So I googled the size....
    Genuine green monster box from the United States Mint. Dimensions are: 14.75" x 8.5" x 4.5". Holds up to 25 tubes for Silver Eagle coins.
    500 ounces / converted 34.286 pounds.
    That would be fun pulling out of a safe.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck. A great way to store winter clothing...........

14. Mr Roots

The ASE boxes have an awkward bump down the middle.

15. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

I currently use one to hold my 90% silver

[​IMG]

JCKTJK and Mr Roots like this.
  16. pmbug

pmbug Taking steps on my thousand mile journey

17. myownprivy

Purchased and transferred my silver into a Canadian Maple yellow monster box. These are much smaller than I imagined, but they hold a ton inside. I have storage options at home for this box, but additionally I don't anticipate a theif having any interest in a yellow box. But of course, I don't want them to be able to find the box in the first place.

I think something like an ammo box or a safe are too obvious that something of value is inside. A heavy bright yellow box on the other hand is less appealing.

18. myownprivy

Warning: do not buy the Perth Mint Silver Kangaroo Monster box. It holds only 250 coins, 10 rolls of 25 coins. ASE and Canadian Maple Monster Boxes hold twice that. The price may be enticing on Provident, but the box is incredibly small and useless.

Draft saved Draft deleted