Is 3x face good for 40% halves?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

I recently sold mine (about a month ago) at a local shop and got 6.48 times face. Their price today is 6.33 times face.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

A lot of dealers won't even fool with the 40s unless they can get them like this dealer got them. Think of his income statement the next time you go to let these go. The important number is on the third line, that's the COGS margin. Give him exactly 40%. The formula for calculating that is: MARGIN=(SALES PRICE-COGS)/SALES PRICE. Go to www.coinflation.com and look up the current market value of a 40 in their silver melt calculator. At this moment, it's $3.75. That's his sales price. Plug that into the formula in both places, where indicated. Then experiment at various COGSs, plugging them into the formula, and working it out, until you get 40% for the margin. Here, that would be a COGS of $2.25 (($3.75-$2.25)/$3.75)). That's exactly 40%. For your 90s, cut that margin in half, and give him 20%. And there you got it. Personally, I'd come in high at $3.00. Just don't let him take you under $2.25. He's not going to tell you to walk at 40%, unless he's stupid. The reason is, he knows the next one is going to give you that. He knows that because he knows 40% more than covers their fixed and operating costs enabling them a reasonable profit at the bottom.

slackaction1 and hotwheelsearl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted