Is 2015 Truman RP the coin of the year

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LJRambo111, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

It's looking like a high mintage Franklin Mint collectable that grandmothers all over collect.

I have very collectable older date MS70 libertads with populations of under 10 hedged by a half ounce of gold that aren't worth $1000.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Really? You're comparing us coins to private mint and foreign? Apples & oranges. I'd do a little market research before you attempt an opinion about a topic you clearly need to get up to speed on.

4. Mr Roots

You seem to be in the minority in this thread, not me....I collect all kinds of things and have been doing so for well over 30 years.

You're right, I'm no expert on modern U.S. Mint coins that wern't meant fore circulation and arn't made from PMs.....there's a good reason for that.

5. Mr Roots

...but all my points are the same for those pucks made from silver....time is already proving me right on that.

6. statequarterguy

Security in numbers, huh? This thread is full of anti-modern trolls. I'm one of the few stating the facts. The fact is these sets have all been winners over the last 20 years. That's not an opinion that's up for debate, it's a fact.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  7. statequarterguy

What do you collect?

8. Mr Roots

These what sets have all been winners?....I do own a Red Book and just looked at commemoratives and proof and mint sets...pages 282-351, I guess our definition of winners must be different.

I collect silver and gold coins, both old and new ones, but grew up with a grandmother who was a coin collector who tried hard to get me to collect, sending me blank albums all the time....My first job was at a sports card store, I'm watching this hobbie take all the wrong turns that ruined modern sports cards, good thing coins can't take steroids, but if they made a low mintage UHR of Bonds injecting himself I'm sure it would go to the moon in your opinion.

9. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

What are you going to do with the "bad" coins?

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Sell them, of course :) I will probably keep a few though

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

PCGS Pops on the PR70's are up to 19 as of Saturday Morning.

Starting to look like that $3,601 sale might have been a one off windfall for Seth but then, being 1st to Market does have its benefits.

12. statequarterguy

Not referring to those coins or sets. Look back over the last 20 years for sets like this Truman Set that include a low mintage unique coin, starting with the gold set that included the 1995-w proof ASE - they've all been big winners.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Fellows, fellows, fellows.........it all boils down to one thing and one thing only. Demand. Mr. Roots' example of Libertads bears that out. Will the demand still be in place 5 years down the road? I can only hope. I bought the State Quarters '99 silver set at a vast increment over what it goes for today. Had I waited another year I could have saved some money.

14. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I think these will carry a good premium for the next 5 years at least. The mintage and the fact they're pres dollars supports it. Longer term, nobody knows. The $1000 per set prediction earlier in the thread is a bit optimistic (by a factor of 5 or so) but these will do well.

green18 likes this.
  15. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

i have 5 sets at collectors society. I wont sell any. I will squirrel them away.

16. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

Yea I was the same way when I didn't buy the silver eagle 10th anniversary set. My biggest regret. But I made up for it by buying 100 sets of the 20th anniversary and 50 sets of the 25th anniversary set. So guess what I'm going to do next year when the 30th anniversary set goes on sale. THe wisest man learns from his past mistakes.

I must say there are a lot of collectors collecting the proof president sets, probably 100 times the mintage of the reverse proofs. THats why the silver eagles are so popular, because people can afford them.

Guess again who has a complete set of pf70 silver eagles with the exception of the 1995 W.

17. zorro191

zorro191 New Member

It is a rather large challenge to put together a high-grade series of copper-nickel made-for-circulation Ikes. I've been at it for over 25 years. There are problems with planchet marks and striking such a large coin on cupro-nickel, being bagged with 999 other coins in a bag (like silver dollars), and most of them went to Las Vegas to be used in slot machines. I've helped sort through a mint-sewn bag, and have a friend that has gone through several, and there simply aren't many "gems" or errors to be had. There are a few doubled-dies and RPM's which are even more of a challenge. I tend to buy raw coins and get the ones with the least flaws and most eye-appeal, and have them slabbed by TPG, more for preservation than grading. I have only bought a few slabbed coins. I've seen slabbed MS-66's that I would grade 63. I've seen slabbed 63's and 64's that are righteous 65's. Always buy the coin, and NOT the number on the slab. I guess I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and the satisfaction of finding a gem or near-gem coin (unfortunately not as often as I'd like) more than the potential investment value. It works for me, but I guess it's not for everyone.

18. statequarterguy

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Check out the last entry on the link below for a current analysis of the Pucks.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/puck-cents.227693/

19. 19Lyds

Yeah! I wish I'd have sold mine when they were at $500!

But then, I didn't know then what I know now! Eventually, we all learn.

20. 19Lyds

Well, just so the record is straight, the US Mint never offered a 10th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set. They offered a 10th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set which had a Silver Eagle in it at $999.00. Gold was at about $400 an ounce and the price of the set kept a lot of folks from ordering. The internet was in it's infancy and eBay was just barely born! Set registry's were non-existent and the Silver Eagle from the set could be had for $500.
    It wasn't until the early 2000's before the Silver Eagle gained any appreciative pricing and that was mainly due to the scarcity of high grade coins in slabs.

As for collecting the Presidential Proofs? I believe that folks collect them simply because they are easy and there's so doggoned many of them! I'm staring at a stack of 2008-2009 Signature coins that I've contemplated putting up on eBay for close to a year now. The only reason I don't is that I'm just not that eager to take the financial whipping which will come with the sale of the coins. I might as well crackem out and deposit them in the bank!

You are rright about the Silver Eagles though. Very Affordable big hunks of silver that come the closest to a Morgan Dollar than any other coin which, I assume, is why they are so popular. However, even those suffer from suckdom in this depressed coin economy. I recently took a serious whipping on about 20 I've sold over the past two weeks.

My position has always been that the market for the RP Presidential is HOT. But it's only hot for right now, meaning, this year. In 5 years, folks will completely forget about them and I expect that the PR70 coins "may" reel in a few $200 sales. The price on them has already started to slide. ($3601 - $1675 has got to be a tough pill to swallow in only 7 days!)

The popularity of the Presidential Dollars just isn't there over the long run. Even removing the dollar bill from circulation isn't going to change that.

21. statequarterguy

I wish I had your crystal ball - but then, maybe not, I'd miss out on all these sets with great potential.

Draft saved Draft deleted