Investing in today's markets? What to do?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by COIN STASHER, Nov 8, 2008.

1. COIN STASHER

COIN STASHER Senior Member

This is purely hypothetical, and something to think about. I'd really appreciate hearing what all you folk's would do!

Let's say for example that someone had $10,000, $20K, or $30K more or less in a savings account/CD/bond, et al, at say 3-4-5% interest (fixed or variable), should he/she:
    a. wait out the markets and leave it alone for the time being,
    b. re-invest it in metals (gold, platinum, palladium, silver, copper),
    c. cash it in and put it in your safe deposit box or under your mattress,
    d. or what??

I know that certain specifics regarding exact and fixed or variable interest rates are strong determinants, but just take your pick of the above, or better yet, offer some other creative ideas! Thanks in advance!

ps- wish I had such a dilemna!! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1st I would 60% Silver and 40% Gold in a metal IRA for 90dat at a time and see how it grows.

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Education - you can't beat that. Hands down.

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

this very true!!! don't play with money and not learning what the playing field is!!!!
    ****you will lose your 30k in a heart beat!!!!!!****

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

give it to me... I'll hold on to it for ya ;)

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Probably the best advice would be to spread it out.

Take a small percentage and put it in metals.

Maybe have some fun and get some of those rare, more expensive coins that you know you can't go wrong on. I'm reading 'Collecting and Investing in rare coins by David Bowers. It's a thick book and I'm only through the first 150 pages but so far, I think he has some good advice, as far as if you're looking to invest. A main one being to expect cycles and fads in the market. I know there's been a lot of inflation but the prices that some coins could have been purchased for in relation to today's market is shocking. He gives many examples.

Then I'd probably put a percentage of it in the market. I would likely put less in the market than most here because I don't trust it right now and I think it could get a lot worse before it gets better. But some say to invest in oil right now. It's come back down. Mobil's getting rich. With no other options in sight, you know any oil stocks will be skyrocketing in the coming decades at least.

Then I'd store a chunk of it under the mattress or other secure location within the home so you could have something that you could actually get your hands on in a worst case scenario. Just my opinions.

8. Julien

Julien Member

Could actually be a fantastic time to invest in the stock market.

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I sure wouldn't put more than 5% into metals....too unpredictable, even during the best of times. I'd reinvest where I already have investments and have done well in the past. Why change what works?
    Guy~

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The last couple of years and the next couple of years should put the final nails into the coffin of the conventional portfolio advice to diversify and rebalance periodically. A long time ago, I decided that this makes no sense regardless of how popular it is. Instead, I would recommend keeping about 90% of the money absolutely safe in bank CDs and short term US Treasuries. The other 10% should be spread out among a number of promising but very high risk investments that may include gold and silver coins. I know my preferences but you will have to choose your own. Everyone has to make their own decisions and taking advice -- including mine -- from any internet forum is a crapshoot. But this has worked well for me.

11. HazardJoe

HazardJoe New Member

Start a business!
    Sell something to the chinese 1billion customers in asia.

30-40k is spare change in todays market. Id save it as a 6 month emergency fund in a high yield account.

12. HazardJoe

HazardJoe New Member

Your right but only if your looking long term 5-8 yrs down the line.

I just bought microsoft and GE for less than 20$ a stock a year ago these two were at almost 60$~

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Don't invest in coins, enjoy them and you'll do okay.
    see other thread for more.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Coins are a hobby, not an investment.

Ruben

15. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

10% for developing/marketing my inventions, 10% cash, 10% PM, 20% bonds, 20% CD's at 6,mo,1yr,2yr, and 5yr.(and reinvest what u don't need on maturity) 25% in energy,electonics and communications stock. 5% crazy risk investment.

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

17. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

Back a few months ago when silver went to $20.00 and gold went to a $1000.00 there were predictions all over the internet, magazines, and paper that we were going to silver above $30.00 and gold above $1500.00, but we didn't. I'm not saying it won't happen someday, but just how much worse are things going to have to be for this to happen? I know about the "paper" precious metal futures keeping the price down, but regardless of what reason the prices retreated. I think people take a big chance with bullion because all you have is the price of the metal. Plus to really make any money you have to invest alot and the price has to really go up big to make any "real" money. I much prefer coins for several reasons. I buy them because I want the actual coin, coins are nicer to look at than bullion, and if you do ever want to sell some coins they are liquid assests. I don't buy coins really to invest, but it does feel okay to know your coins are worth more, maybe even much more, than what you paid for them. After saying that all coins I purchase come from my disposable income, not money intended for saving or investment.

18. COIN STASHER

:yawn:Gee thanks. LOL. What kind of interest do you pay?

19. COIN STASHER

That sounds like some good advice! Thanks for your astute opinion. It is very much appreciated!

20. COIN STASHER

OK, that's what my broker says, but he's prejudiced. If you're serious, I'd really be curious as to what stocks you'd recommend during such a market?!

21. COIN STASHER

Thanks for your advice. That's pretty much been my feeling (about coins) with my disposable income. I have "invested" in silver and gold, but mostly doing so by collecting older coins and ones which I plan to keep for the long haul.

Draft saved Draft deleted