Investing in Gold & Silver from U.S. Mint?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Wandering Man, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I do think some of those coins can be valuable one day. Just not in your days...

Wandering Man likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

4. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money buying US Mint coins as an investment! Historical purposes or collecting for your kids or grandkids is fine, but not as an investment. Truly rare coins are worth investing because they historically appreciate. Rather common coins, not matter what the grade rise and fall in price, and do not keep pace with inflation.

Hookman and Wandering Man like this.
  5. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Not bad idea but usually go down in after market. Best strategy shop bourse at a show.

6. Rob943

Rob943 Member

You Sir are a bully and you need to be banned just like you had Prez banned. He was banned for nothing while you are run free. Who did you pay off?

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Excuse me ? :mad:

I had NOBODY banned -- I doubt I have that power and even if someone posted stuff I disagreed with the last thing I would do is have them censored or banned.

We had a spirited debate on value on some othe thread and that's been the extent of my interaction with him. He may have even LIKED or agreed with posts on other threads so I have no problem with him.

If I were as prickly and sensitive as you assumed I was, I would be asking YOU for an apology.

8. Rob943

Rob943 Member

Sir, I sat right beside my friend and read this forum mod telling him he was banned for political comments WHICH DIDN'T HAPPEN. Since his voice was taken without cause and your comment that clearly mentioned the politics was ignored. You're still here and he's banned so I am speaking for him since he was not given any chance to rebut anything. He clearly did NOT mention politics in any way, shape or form yet that is the excuse his account gives for his being banned. Also as clear, it was YOU that mentioned politics and YOU were NOT banned. All anyone need do is re-read the 'bullion against the market' thread to verify what I say now. You also declared or threatened that he was on 'his game 5', clearly inferring he was about to be banned. I think the apology clearly deserves to be made to my banned friend and certainly not you. You are the one who should be suffering being banned right now. Not him. However the mod here falsely stated that my buddy was the guilty one. Can the mods not read? Apparently not. Apparently they just make up excuse and lies to ban someone they don't like for some strange reason. Again, YOU brought up politics and you're still here. It's clear things aren't on the up and up. I'll personally pay $100 for anyone that can show where my bud mentioned politics. I'll bet another hundred the person that DID use the term "leftist" (which is political) never got any penalty. Who would want to participate in a place that so boldly creates LIES to ban members? No apologies to him. No nothing. Just a 2 week ban FOR NO REASON. Clearly this place isn't what it pretends to be. Clearly bias is used to ban people they don't like and clearly they shield people (like you) who DO violate the rules and play these games. He was trying to get me to join here as he spoke very highly of the people here and thought I'd enjoy the place. Well believe me, he has a different take on this place now. I am just trying to shine a light on a highly biased public forum that uses deceit and lies to shield people and bans others for the supposed 'rules' that apparently only mean something and are applied to some people. Very sad and I will spread the word which members and which mods participate in this kind of deceit. $100 for anybody that can show me where politics were used by my friend Prez, and then another $100 for whomever can get the mod to acknowledge his deceit and show everyone who actually did what. What kind of place is this? Awful people. I have no idea why he thinks anything positive about this bs. Enjoy your freedom, Mr. Bully.

9. Rob943

Rob943 Member

Excuse me???? No answer? You are a bully and the mod is a liar. $100 to anyone who shows me where Prez talked politics (which is the reason the mod gave for banning him). ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Show me.

10. GoldFinger1969

Then take it up with the Moderator -- I didn't see or report any political commentary, all I referenced was what I thought was incoherent talk about "value" and "profit" and "wages" and other stuff.

I don't know if that qualifies as political -- or just bad economics. Whatever....I didn't take offense, I didn't report it, I didn't object to it (except on substance by refuting it).

So don't blame me. I don't make the rules here, we're guests in somebody else's house.

This is a coin forum, that's what we/I are supposed to stick to.

11. Rob943

Rob943 Member

If there were any decency here, Prez's ban would be lifted instantly, and the other individual that DID engage in politics and was abusive remains. But that won't happen, I'm certain. Made up rules quoting made up infractions and rule violators are free to violate rules and have mods cover for them. Very sad. Go to the locked thread about bullion and read the mod's comments on why he locked the thread and banned Prez. Show me where Prez talked politics and I'll send the first one to show me $100. Let's go. It's free money right?

12. Rob943

Rob943 Member

I have. He banned Prez, but not you and I'm waiting for someone to show me where the political conversation occurred. on Prez's part. He can't though because it DIDN'T HAPPEN. You did use the term "leftist gobbleygook". That IS political. You're still here though and he is not. That's BS you know it and I know and anybody that can read knows it. How about you? Show me the political comments and I'll send you the $100. Prez can't "take it up with the moderators" because he's completely banned and oh, FOR NOTHING. What kind of crap is this? Whatever it is, it's highly dishonest.

13. GoldFinger1969

I think Limited Production of special items (like the Enhanced Reverse Proof) are worth buying because they are unique and MIGHT (!) appreciate.

And really special items that don't have any comparables in the future -- like the 2009 UHR Saint Gaudens -- are definitely worth buying.

The biggest factor is going to be the price of the underlying PM and the premium to that PM when the coin comes from the mint. If you waited a few years, you could have bought the 2009 UHR alot cheaper. I suspect the same thing with Silver coins (including the ASEs) when silver was $45/oz.

14. Wandering Man

Wandering Man Member

This is part of what is confusing to me. Why would anyone take a hit selling a slabbed coin to a dealer who must make a profit to stay in business? Then I can come along and buy from the dealer and watch my investment grow?

The U.S. mint is producing some beautiful coins. But now I’m hesitant to buy anything.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We all get fair warning when we need to shut our mouths. Jim is fair with everyone. We gain points when we act stupid and it's not based on just one thread. Too many points will get you banned for life. A few will get you a short vacation. Don't trust your friend is giving you all the information.

16. Wandering Man

Wandering Man Member

@Rob943, please move your discussion to it’s own thread, or contact the people you are upset with by P.M.

Tracy62 and -jeffB like this.
  17. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Idhair Points so you saying you accumulate pts, by being a bad actor..ok.. Do you get points taken away after so long or they there for ever. Dang oldhoopster you dont want to be high point here..

18. GoldFinger1969

I'm confused, who's taking the hit selling a TPG coin ?

OVER TIME, I guess the coins (might) appreciate. YMMV, I guess. But like it's been said all over here and the Internet, like the coins but don't count on them going up over time.

19. GoldFinger1969

You have 3 major factors when the Mint comes out with a new product: the premium to underlying PM (Gold or Silver) for the coin....the absolute level of Gold or Silver....and how much pent-up demand to "buy it now" there is.

If all 3 work against you, you can be under water forever. So it might pay to wait and buy down the line in the secondary market.

With the 2009 UHR Saint, I only wanted one so I didn't care that much about price. Had I wanted 10, I probably would have waited to buy the bulk of them instead of getting them all out of the gate.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll say it again: I don't see how this works.

Goldbugs like to say gold holds its value. Their favorite comparison seems to be that an ounce of gold would buy a fine toga in ancient Rome, would buy a fine men's suit in the 1800s, and will buy a fine men's suit today.

Of course, if you'd spent that ounce of gold on a fine men's suit in 2011-2012, you might have gotten an $1800 suit, but if you'd spent it in 2016, you'd have gotten only a $1200 suit. Today, $1500 (oops, $1475 now).

Meanwhile, though, if you'd put $1800 into equities (say, an index fund tracking the S&P) in 2011-2012, you'd have over $4000 worth today, not even counting dividends. If you'd put it into real estate -- well, it depends on what real estate, where it was and what you did with it, but it's likely that appreciation and possibly rent would put you well ahead of taxes and maintenance.

Assuming that PMs hold their value, how do you MAKE money with them?

The answer, of course, is by assuming their value will go up -- but there's absolutely no guarantee that will happen. Their fiat price will surely go up in the long term, but why would you want to make fiat money? :rolleyes:

If you're arguing that PMs are better than greenbacks stuffed under a mattress, you win -- congratulations, I guess. But a set of working investments will surely beat a lump of PMs sitting in a vault over almost every interval.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  21. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Nothing is all black, nor white. Fiats have collapsed many times in the past and will again. My statement is not that all fiats will crash and never be used again. If the FED per say, Prints another 50T or 350T of our dollars. Does every dollar remain at today's value ? Of course not, not only do you have inflation, but you have dilution.
    I too made a lot of money in stocks from 2009 - 2016, also did it from 2002 - 2008 Timing is everything.

It is easy to be an American and expect everything to always work out. I am 55 and have not seen a failed currency. I know they happened in Greece, and especially Cyprus, the stories are out there. Also the MSM, FOX, CNBC, Bloomberg, will NOT tell you what is happening in the real world of finance. You must used you tube for that.

So much deregulation has happened that banks, investment banks do whatever they want. ZOMBIE banks, bad IPO businesses like UBER, Lyft, are worthless corps. other than a valuation. Stock buybacks are the only thing that has propped this market, other than the buying and rigging going on. There are no regulations for the billionaires and why income inequality is growing.

Most smart enough to post here, understand the financial system, etc. are not in that group of people failing. Each one of us tends to see OURSELVES as the avg joe. "If I can do and I am, everyone else must be too " Correct ?

The over night repo rate FED bailout money at night is going crazy and they wont say why. The real people telling the truth want to know what the FED is covering up, why does the FED need to dump 20- 50 Billion dollars into the system at night for some bank to cover their debt ? It gets above all our paid grade. You can be certain something bad is happening. Our country has spent years forcing others to do what we want with sanctions and they got sick of it. Thus, the PETRODOLLAR which has been used for 60+ years around the world as monetary settlement for ALL OIL PURCHASE EXCHANGE has just been skirted. China, Russia, Iran got sick of it. Those Central banks are buying GOLD AMAP each month. Germany for the first time in 40 years just started buying GOLD.

Since 2008 all the CB's around the world, controlled by BIS (bank of international settlement) have QE. We started it, did it 3 times, as soon as we stopped, europe started, Japan has done it continuously. Now their debt to GDP ratio is at 250% (in a year of work work via their gross domestic product they produce 100%) It is absurd to think that the world can just print and no one is ever accountable for the 750T in world wide debt. or the 1.5 Quadrillion in derivitives https://www.globalresearch.ca/global-derivatives-1-5-quadrillion-time-bomb/5464666

There has been many resets in the past. Only now it is our time, we pay not attention to history, the 1930s, Germany in the 20s and so on as we live in a new world. I can only say, it is better to be prepared than not... You know the guy, a cousin, your neighbor. Who refi their house at 50 years old to remodel the kitchen, or take a trip. Gets coffee at starbucks everyday and his kids, wife have cars that cant be older than 3 years, then it is time for a new one. All because he makes 80 k a year and wife makes 55k. They are living the american debt dream. Most likely dont have 20k in the bank, but do have 150k in 401k and they think they are safe.

Just crazy.... Start with Max keiser, watch some lynette zang, and the other gold and silver bugs. They at least tell the truth.
    Why doesnt anyone in America care that GOLD has hit all time highs over the last year in 80 other currencies, but not here ? JP MORGAN is in court now for manipulation and it ISNT news. WHY ? Because the friends of JP morgan own every news outlet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.