Independent Numismatic Certification Group?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Publius2, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Anybody heard of this outfit? A Google search doesn't turn up anything but I did find the name in a list of "others" on the website of a company that offers to sell your coins for you.

I bought this 1881-S Eagle at just above spot a few years ago on the FUN Show bourse and have been contemplating breaking it out of the slab. Anybody have a recommendation on that? I guess my question really is "Does keeping it in this slab confer any improved legitimacy as opposed to making it raw?"

The coin itself is a big nothing burger, just a hole filler for the type set but here's a photo anyway.

DSC_0396.jpg DSC_0485-tile.jpg

ddddd and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

First thought is that it is one of the companies that used the ACG (Accugrade) service for slabbing their product. Let me see if I can dig anything else up.
    I do believe this is the first I've seen of this particular slab. While that would mean you would normally have a slab premium, in this case it is unlikely based on value of the coin itself.

@Burton Strauss III or @Conder101 any thoughts on this slab?

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

https://coinauctionshelp.com/INCS_TPGS.html

This is the site I usually check out. It doesn't have this one but it has been a good way for me to see to which degree the graders hold themselves. Some are more spot-on than others. Every once in a while, the blind man hits the nail nice and squarely.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is something Conder mentioned in an old thread of mine...I'm not certain that this is your answer, but that would be my best guess.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/national-grading-service-slab-acg-type-holder-any-info.269336/

7. Publius2

The site listed them:

"INGS - International Numismatic Grading Service. This firm lasted for about two years in the late 1980s."

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Publius2 do you have a photo of the reverse of the slab?

10. Publius2

Not right now but I can post it tomorrow.

ddddd likes this.
  11. Publius2

Here's the reverse. DSC_1103.jpg

ddddd likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Interesting...the fact that there was a website helps date the holder. Unfortunately there is no sign that the website was active for long or ever active (wayback machine has no archive of it).

I also found this:

"INDEPENDENT NUMISMATIC CERTIFICATION GROUP, INC. is an entity registered at KINGS county with company number 3386221. Company is incorporated on July 9, 2006. Current status of the company is inactive - dissolution by proclamation / annulment of authority (apr 27, 2011)."

That suggests it was one of these from the Conder comment:

"But around 2002 they came up with a new deal. For just a few hundred they would license you for an encapsulation service. Then for a small fee per coin you could send coins in and they would encapsulate them in ACG shells under your company name at whatever grade you specified."

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Well, darn, @ddddd if you are going to do all my work for me, I'll have to find a new gig.

Domain Tools has 4 historical records going back 13 years, but I'm too cheap to buy a $99/month membership.

ddddd likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sorry about that. I'll split half of what I earned from this thread with you. :D

Do you agree that it is one of those companies that sent items to ACG for encapsulation?

15. Burton Strauss III

Yep

If you look at the big image there could be a difference in the speckled patterning where the ACG letters were.

ddddd likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is an ACG shell, I do not believe it is one of the companies that used the ACG encapsulation service. (Every label I have seen for those has been much plainer.) ACG licensed their shells to several different companies, basically sold them everything they needed to create their own service and sold them the supplies. This appears to be such a company but I don't believe it is the same as the other INCS. The layout of the label makes me suspect they had a much closer relationship with ACG than the other licensees. I don't believe I have this one listed.

Pickin and Grinin and ddddd like this.
  17. Publius2

No thoughts on leaving as-is versus cracking it out?

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

My guess would be that the premium would be minimal (if any) since the coin is worth quite a bit. Most of these oddball holders have premiums when the coin is around $200 or less (and probably more like $100 or less).

@Burton Strauss III do you agree?

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you do crack it out, can you try and do it as gently as possible and let me have the empty holder?

20. Burton Strauss III

I collect ACG and wanna be ACG

@ddddd there are some data points, where an ordinary Morgan in a doily was selling for that $150 premium (IIRC somebody on one of the boards had a standing offer of $200). The premium evaporated for coins worth more than about $300 as coins.

ddddd likes this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

That was my recollection too. Under $100 and you can get a nice premium on some of these. Any higher and that premium starts disappearing quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted