I'm selling it all

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SD51555, Jan 22, 2017.

1. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Been a while since I've visited. Last go round, I talked of finding a sweet spot to liquidate my bullion pile. Well, today is by no means a smoking hot exit point, but the time's come to cash it in. I'm preparing a pile of cash to pay off my new chunk of rec land I bought last summer.

There's a number of moving parts here causing this to happen now.

1. I want that title free and clear. The only lien holder I want on my hind end is the county tax assessor.
    2. It is a contract for deed, and I'm getting ready to start putting some serious improvements into the property. I don't want the headache of approving improvements and potential for getting breached out there.
    3. I was paying $150/mo in interest. My bullion was just sitting there.
    4. I can finally rake together my assets without putting a big hole in any single asset (except the bullion of course) on the balance sheet.

The biggest thing is, land seems to be far more respected as a tangible asset out there vs metals the past number of years. Plus, I can't shoot a deer off my bullion pile.

So, in my normal fashion, I am predicting a big bullion price movement to the upside. You probably have a few weeks before it begins. I've only sold half my pile so far. Will likely get the other half sold by the end of this week.

#SepticTouch

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, I guess it's not big enough, then, is it?

*chortle*

Brett_in_Sacto and Paul M. like this.
  4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

That sounds like a smart move, under the circumstances.

(Speaking as a Realtor for 10 years in the 1980s)--
    I don't know how much acreage you have, but if you're over 10 acres, you might consider getting a lake permitted. That adds huge value to rural land. Thirty years ago, there was a Federal agency that would pick up part of the cost if you followed certain guidelines, but I don't know if that's still true. A lake doesn't work very well if you're on a main road where everybody can see it, it's hard to prevent trespassing, which in turn, may expose you to personal liability under today's screwball legal system. If you're in Zones 4 or 5, the biggest downsides to a lake are muskrats, contamination by Canadian geese (if you're on a flyway), and/or GMO runoff. Your best friend will be the nearest Home Extension Service.

I'd also plant a lot of trees and thorn hedge, after getting expert advice on what will offer you future income, and, privacy. Again, possibility of Federal assistance. The State probably maintains well logs for every county, to help assess your chances of finding good water.

If you're eventually going to build a home, look into HUD's flood insurance, if appropriate, before Congress gets rid of the program; it's lost a lot of money over the years, and is probably vulnerable.

Finally, you might consider getting on whatever Zoning Board regulates your property. It's a job few want, so there's seldom much competition, but it makes you an insider, and the general public doesn't mess with zoning officials. Then join 4-H and FFA. Good luck.
    i

-jeffB and Paul M. like this.
  5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

What? Shoot Bambi? I can try and bounce one off my neighbors roof, but it doesn't affect the price of gold or silver either. It does get him ticked off however.

Camreno likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, you could if it was a really big pile... or you could make a really expensive tree stand out of it. ;)

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  7. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

One more thing I forgot - before you make any improvements to the property, especially on a contract for deed ("land contract"), make absolutely certain you own all the mineral rights, and that there are no oil or gas easements across your property.

Again, I don't know where you are, but easements are a major major headache in Kentucky and West Virginia. If they exist, in some cases you may want to buy them back, if possible. An existing easement from the 1920s may throw your plans into chaos. You may not be able to move or modify gravel domes or watercourses, either.

To anyone who thinks this is a lot of needless worry, all these potential difficulties, I have seen ALL of them happen at one time or another, 30+ years ago.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do what you have to do. PM's are a good store of wealth. I sold some small gold and silver and was glad to have it when I needed extra cash.

9. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

I had an attorney handle the transaction for me. I also opted for a title search and title insurance policy to be issued. This is northern MN. I don't think anyone has mineral rights up here. I believe the state retained them all.

10. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Title insurance and a full disclosure from the county assessor will keep you safe. I have a few piles of dirt, one had a negotiated easement that I was able to quell - since it was dependent on a neighbor that stopped paying his property taxes and lost the property.

Good luck, and good hunting!

And who says you can't shoot a deer off a bullion pile!

Of course, you can't eat this one. :)

[​IMG]

green18 likes this.
  11. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

That's great man. I'd convert metals to land any day especially if I get to use the land.

Camreno likes this.
  12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Welcome back and don't be a stranger.

13. Gilbert

14. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

So far so good on this deal. I was able to unload all of it to people I know locally. We made a deal between their cost to buy and what I'd receive selling to a dealer. Win win.

15. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

No reason to explain to us, that's what Bullion is for! To buy and one day sell! No one here is judging you :) Ill take any ASE's if you got em :p

16. Gilbert

If your title insurance policy is anything like mine, check the exclusions.

17. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Heck yeah he has to explain it! I wanted a piece! :D

Seriously, happy hunting my friend! Remember, the big ones are usually cows. :cow:

18. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Paying $150/mo in interest? I don't pay any interest on my stack. It doesn't do you any good to have it if it isn't in your possession. It's not an investment to make money off of. It is money, for when you need it most. Gold and silver literally are land, just the more expensive parts of it. All they ever do is just sit there, and when you need them to fulfill their purpose they will do so. You're not going to put a pasture or a house in your backpack. You just traded a very small amount of land for a very large amount of land. Hard to look at that as a bad trade.

Draft saved Draft deleted