I'm never going to buy .9999 Canadian Silver again.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lasers, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Thanks! I'll be ordering one tomorrow just so I have it ready when the new coin comes in.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CopperCastle

CopperCastle Penny for your Thoughts

Trolls don't care about your input. You're the buyer & if your not satisfied... by all means, dispute payment and claim what is rightfully yours. You may have to eat shipping, but for a perfect specimen...a small price to pay. Stand up for your rights as a buyer & demand what is rightfully yours.

tulipone likes this.
  4. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Thanks, that actually made me feel better. I really hate when people come on here and try to stir everything up and make it a hateful environment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    CopperCastle likes this.
  5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

(off-topic) Happy Holidays, Krispy!

Btw, I finally found something I can actually buy for 50¢. I just purchased fifty (50) high quality, limited edition, copper-clad zinc rounds...(aka. "cents").

6. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Sorry your probably right. I just skim read what you wrote and got the wrong idea I think.

7. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Oh that's alright.

8. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

So the new coin came yesterday, it looks real good except for some hair-like scratches but that isn't as bad as the old coin. Plus about a week ago I ordered 5 oz from APMEX in different denominations like 1/10oz, 1/4oz, 1/2oz, and 1oz and all of them came with small scratches but you cannot see them in an airtite so I'm glad with the coins I got, and thanks for all the help, people of cointalk!

9. TreasureSlugN1851

TreasureSlugN1851 Active Member

why dont you buy certified? You are investing for bullion purpose... if you care about the look of the coin... by certified... that way it will already be in the correct sized holder.

10. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Costs too much, for the price of one 69 slabbed coin I can get 2-3 non-slabbed coins.

11. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

With economy comes risk. Personnally I have come to accept that buying bullion coins means that they are fine unless you plan to look close. I've been taking photos today of my coins and/but still get shocked with the marks and scratches when looking close up. Especially Canadian Mint. I may slow down with those.

Where is your collection going?

12. TreasureSlugN1851

You are buying it for bullion...

I'll give you a secret too... there is a reason you can buy 3 non slabbed for the cost of 1 slabbed 69... ITS because people with money DONT want the raw coins... Open your horizon... acquire quality... quality people like... people are willing to pay money for quality... otherwise why are you even collecting or investing in this stuff?

Thats like acquiring something... only everyone wants and goes for the best version... only you cant or dont want to put that much down for the best version so you suffice for the lower... well that lower valued option... will always most of the time be worth a lower value to their counterpart... COINS work the same way...

If you are buying bullion... buy it for bullion... if you are collecting? Investing hoping your coins are going to ever detach themselves from the puny basil value they are made from isnt the right way... you need to by the best to get the best return.

13. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that there are so many of these bullion coins floating around - millions of each type and date. The chances of any real appreciation is next to never. Perhaps the best chance of ever making a profit over melt price is if someone is looking for a specific coin on ebay.

I buy silver bullion coins because I like it (at a distance). I prefer not to have it in a sealed lump of plastic that costs a significant premium. When the time comes to flog it, it'll be worth what it is worth.

14. TreasureSlugN1851

couldnt have said it better tulipone!!!

15. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Member

I can't imagine in real terms bullion coins slabbed or no we'll be consistently more valuable then roughly the silver content. I think the slabbing companies are a lot like the bullion dealers, convincing us their's extra value there. Kinda like the beanie baby craze of the 90s.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

17. TreasureSlugN1851

only the beanie baby craze came in the 90s and died out... they have been grading coins how long??? Adapt and overcome... grading services are not going anywhere. Its like the stock market... learn it. It's a game. Learn the graders, learn the coins to get graded... collectors/investors always pay for graded coins and graded coins are a lot more liquid than non graded... unless we are talking pure bullion.

18. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Member

but even just cursory look at slabbing bullion, to get any real potential it's got to be MS70 and PCGS, NGC doesn't seem to have that great a reputation. I know they're a joke in terms of ancients coin collecting.

But to each their own, I'm just collecting the bullion coins for the looks certainly they'll always have intrinsic value but silver bullion will never be an investment for me. slabbed or unslabbed.

19. TreasureSlugN1851

There is no intrinsic value on something that trades for the material its made out... being spot. Intrinsic value is gained when the coins detach themselves from their basil value.

Bullion coins... unless collectors take a particular interest in a certain type... or its low mintage... or something makes it better.... they trade at bullion. or a premium over bullion. Which is why you yes... no matter what should be acquiring the top of the line grade.

you want to see the most juice squeezed out of your lemons... buying OGP doesnt do that for you. If they dont grade 70 you just lost value in them. If they were going to gain any intrinsic value in the first place!

Great coins to acquire that are moder... 2013 rev proff buff. 2009 HR st gauden, 2014 kennedy gold 1st day release. Im sure there are many more...

All of these modern Eagles... Million mintage number stuff is never going to be worth any more than the metal they are made out of IMO because there is too much of it available.

20. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Member

absolutely, what you say makes lots of sense. I'm not really going after any return, it's just a hobby, I've no desire to acquire and pay a premium for ms70 coins. It makes an inexpensive form of collecting substantially more expensive. This is purely a hobby, I know they'll always have some value (whether that's 5 or $40 an ounce.). It's purely an aesthetic thing, and for that matter, having a coin sealed in a plastic slab takes away from the aesthetics and tactile part about collecting.

21. TreasureSlugN1851

I hear you zvezdah1 makes sense... most important thing than is... HAVE FUN!!! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted