I'm never going to buy .9999 Canadian Silver again.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lasers, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

So I got this new silver 3/4 oz canadian grey wolf coin yesterday, it was all fine until I put it in a holder about 1mm bigger than the coin just so it would stay safe until I got the correct size, I looked at it today and I found a scratch on Queen Elizabeth II's cheek, the lower park of her cheek and some in the hair. Here is a pic. Also, is there any way to fix this to help me change my mind about the RCM?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Since you've taken it out of the OGP , there's no way for the mint to know when the damage happened . I think you're out of luck as you should have inspected it before removal .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

If you got that from Apmex, you could request a refund of exchange if you're not happy (contact them within 72hrs).
    Yeah, RCM stuff seems hit or miss with scuff/scratches/milk spots, etc. Too bad cause they have pretty cool looking designs. Just got some of those 3/4 oz. Wolf coins in the mail today. Glancing at 'em , I think I got lucky. looks good.

5. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

I got it from apmex on eBay, I messaged them yesterday and they still haven't messaged back... Should I call them?

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

As long as you have a copy in the sent file, or you opted to send a copy to your home PC, you have a record of the date you filed the complaint. Calling won't be necessary, but do you have the patience to wait?

7. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Sent file? Of the message that I sent them through ebay?

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Once you take it out of the OGP its yours

chromerunner likes this.
  9. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

It was never in any OGP... It was just in a little apmex plastic folder. Does that count as OGP?

10. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

You're fine. I'm think they handle their eBay store same as buying directly from them (which is what I do). They responded to my email requests usually either same business day or next. However, you can always call them about your order, let them know and they'll contact returns dept. who will then email you return instructions. That email should arrive same day (or next if they're busy). Pretty straight forward and turn around time seems to have improved.

btw, I looked over my wolf coins and to my surprise, they're all pretty much defect-free on BOTH sides. Didn't know that was possible :D

Perth mint bullion coins (Kookaburra, Koala, Lunar series) come in govt. issued capsules and in my experience have been most consistent being defect free.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I can't even see a scratch in the photo. I do see what look like milk spots on her cheeks, but it's hard to say.

Look on the bright side: At least the imperfections aren't on the pretty side of the coin. ;)

12. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Yeah sorry about that I'll upload a better picture of the scratches tonight, the milk spot on her cheek is actually the scratch I was talking about, the milk spots that are on the coin are on thenrim of both sides of the coin and a little on the obverse of the coin. I agree with you, if there was a problem with the wolf side I would probably mnot even look at the coin lol.

13. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Yeah I love the Perth mint coins I have a kook and I see no defects at all. I'll be calling them tomorrow, I've read a lot about how it takes them a very long time to reply or the don't reply at all. Also will they not accept my return since I already left positive feedback?

14. krispy

krispy krispy

I don't think APMEX have customer service support over weekends, they're more a M-F business. I'm pretty sure APMEX will work with you to exchange the item and understand what you want, collecting a bullion item, not just accepting bullion for investment. These are their special exclusive coins as well that you spoke of in another thread and you are new(?) as a customer to them, so they should be able to help you make the exchange, though know that this is costing. To return the piece is a loss of your return shipping and money meant to be stored in precious metals to 'protect (your) wealth'.

Typically, bullion coins are going to come from various Mints and handlers with any number of issues. Even if you paid extra for a certified piece of bullion you can get those which have the milk-spots or other questionable marks that fall within TPG grade tolerances.

It's pretty common to get Canadian and US silver bullion with spots and nicks the equivalent of "bag marks", ugly toning and such.

I think you may yet be on the fence with thinking like a collector with careful eye for problem coins but starting to acquire bullion pieces that don't follow these same quality issues.

Are you collecting coins made of precious metals, collecting collectible bullion or buying bullion? You'll have to hone what you are after and how you buy them according to your tastes and intentions, as well as mind your budget for loss in time and return costs, buying gimmicky "exclusive" bullion marketed by bullion dealers and mints, to get higher premiums for what's essentially bullion. There has been SO MUCH of this stuff in recent years, especially from APMEX and Perth Mint, that I caution you in what you acquire depending on the kind of initial entry into these pieces you seemed to be buying them for. Just be careful of how much you sink into this stuff before you figure out the route that best suits you. The market for graded and "exclusive" bullion can disappear in an instant and to try to recoup what you put into it in a currently weak or falling PM market could be a costly one.

joecoincollect likes this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

It might also be suggested that purer formats of precious metals like four nines silver or gold are more vulnerable to those of another alloy mix such as three nines or nine two five silver. However, some people feel the purer the metal the more they get for their investment. It's a tiny tiny amount, but I suppose some people sleep better knowing that, if it helps you change your mind about RCM.

16. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Here are some MUCH better pics of the coin's face.

Attached Files:

17. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

And here is a little pic of the milk spots on the rim of the coin, it's like that all around it.

Attached Files:

18. krispy

krispy krispy

The spots are common on silver bullion and don't really effect grade, they can even develop (show up) after being certified in TPG slabs if not apparent before. I've even gotten Proof ASE direct from the US Mint with the milk spots. The rub on the check is perhaps from a mishandling of the coin or high point that rubbed against other coins if they were once stacked in a tube. As bullion, neither issue matters much.

19. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

See I'm one of those people that collects coins for the appearance and not what they are made of. I don't think I'll ever go to just buying non-gov. issue bullion, I really do love the designs on the coins and how shiny they look lol.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Yeah, that's totally fine. In another thread there seemed to be some questions you were asking that made me think you were more buying bullion type coins for wealth protection and perhaps minding less the collectible side of it. Either way is okay, it's good to know what your direction is so you can get the most of it! I think you will not have any trouble returning the coin with APMEX, just give them a call. Most people seem to report excellent customer service with that firm.

21. Lasers

Lasers Active Member

Yeah I was really undecided between buying for silver content and buying for the appearance until I bought my first 2 coins. I'll be calling them tomorrow, hopefully everything goes smoothly!

Draft saved Draft deleted