I'm afraid to ask

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by kevinc1001, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

You make a good point.

Especially if the replica bill is silver foil with very little weight.
    I looked at the COA and notice it doesn't give a weight. That is very telling.
    I am very curious now as to weight.
    If it takes 10 to make an ounce, it is only worth 3 bux... and it could possibly be even lighter if foil.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I don't think it's an ounce. Two 2000's ended today; $19.95 and $22.72 National Collectors Mint 2 | eBay

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd bet two mules for sister Sarah it ain't either.......

5. raider34

raider34 Active Member

If the 2004's are the same as the 2000's it's actually just silver foil. This is the ad when they released the 2000's:Weekly World News - Google Book

It says ".999 pure silver foil is mounted, struck and set over an actual $1 U.S. legal tender Silver Certificate".

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

If they are bringing that much on eBay, you might put it up for auction there and cut your losses.
    Apparently there are plenty of people shopping for these that don't realize how much they are NOT worth!

7. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

So basically I got screwed ****.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You paid tuition. Everyone does.

9. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Join the crowd, if it's any solace a lot of us on here, myself included, have paid "tuition" in the University of Life..

10. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I guess the good news is, I didn't pay the $65 I was going to for the ASE. I can always wait and see where silver goes.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya wanna know how many times I got it up the old wazoo? :)

Happens to the best of us dear fellow.....

12. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The College of Hard Knocks!

I bought 25 raw Morgan & Peace Dollars about 2 years ago at melt. About a month ago I tested them with a magnet for Chinese fakes.
    A 1924 Peace stuck to the magnet like glue :eek:

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is it really 21 inches long?

14. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I don't know why but this made me laugh lol. That's what it says.

15. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I do fell a little better, this is way it took me yrs to get into currency collecting lol.

16. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Perimeter - 21 inches, surface area 46.1 square inches. Lol, why the collectors mint chose to use and list these dimensions is beyond me.

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Hi Kevin. Yeah, ya got burned. Sorry. Luckily, you didn't get burned too badly.

Everyone here has been burned, too. Some not so badly, some seriously.

Here's hoping that it's your first time and your last.

Lots of good advice has been given to you here. Use it wisely, grasshopper!

One more thing, Kevin. Don't ever be afraid to ask anything here. Just remember to ask before you make a move.

18. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

You bought a novelty item, not an investment. The price was a little steep, but hey, do you like it?

19. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

heck I'd put it up to you got burned for $26 but then resell on e-bay for $20+ or whatever you can get throw in some crappy wheat cents and if you got any crappy buffalo nickels too...list it all together and maybe find another sucker...
    hate to sound like a butthole...but there's plenty of people out there throwing away money willy nilly... might as well be you that gets it if your gonna use it more wisely that is...

Also figure it like an Accountant a $26 loss on your balance sheet and a $20 gain but always remember that as a big loss really...once you think you only lost a few bucks...you'll think it's no biggie and possibly be doomed to repeat...take your licks and remember them and grow from them...

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Makes it sound larger. (Makes the uninitiated think "the larger it is the more silver there is!")

21. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Yeah I like it just mad its not worth real silver. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted