If you don't Silver Stack you will be left behind

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SunriseCoins, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Silver or Fiat which one wins in the long run?

This poll will close on Mar 22, 2045 at 4:18 AM.
  1. Silver

75.5%
  2. Fiat

24.5%
  1. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

American Eagles and Canadian 1 ouncers, etc, are commonly bought for bullion. They are bigger, at 1 Troy ounce, than circulating silver dollars, which are 90% silver and based on the smaller avoirdupois ounce,'
    Although you get less silver in each, common date Morgan and Peace dollars tend to cost more each, because they are also widely collectible coins with numismatic value in addition to silver content.
    Apmex is a pretty good place to start on Ebay. Plenty of bullion there, in any form, from war nickels, 40%, 90% and .999 fine. You can get dimes to ingots, rolls and slugs. You can get silver rounds from dime size and up. Silver rounds come in pretty much anything from panda's to X-rated kllintonesque stuff

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi, exactly what is fiat currency? i dont know, just wondering.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

So would you like to take a 100% profit ~ 8 metal cents for each dollar? Since they are backed by nothing.

Many of you guys are whistling past the graveyard if you think any precious metal would get you through a financial or environmental catastrophe. Keep thinking, what if the BRIC nations ( Brazil , Russia, India, and China had became the reserve currency back in 2010 as people were expecting precious metals to be priced in Yuan or Rubles) how much would your PM be worth now? Down 20, 30 , 40%.

I think everyone should be diversified, 5-10% PM may be foolhardy , but expected to be used for a black swan event.

5. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

i had a question about silver war nickels, i heard of the law making it illegal to melt down nickels and pennies (cents)... should i even bother purchasing the war nickels just for their silver, if, nobody will be able to melt them down and access the silver in the nickels?

6. littlehugger

I believe it is illegal to melt ALL US coins, such as 90% silver, eagles, proofs, etc. So, does this apply to Chinese and Canadian bullion, or are they fair game?

7. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Even if it were legal, why do people want to? A lot of older coins already have numismatic values over their metal...

8. littlehugger

Well, I guess you presume that's why silver is purchased? But often, it is sold for industrial use, or to stackers and speculators in its coin form.

9. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

i've been buy coin silver around here in western massachusetts - $1.00 face value from $13.00 - $15.00, they are kinda beat up, and i wouldn't pay for their numismatic value, they're just too dinged up. but i do see some in pretty bad shape selling for $5.00 - $10.00 for them, i just wouldn't pay that much for them, i dont think they are worth that much...

10. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

i looked up the law, and melting 90% silver or silver dollars is not legal, and is not mentioned.... i've read it a few other places also... there are people somewhere i suppose who would want that silver content in the coins.

11. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

12. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

great, thank you, i guess i could've just looked it up.. but thank you for taking the time write it out here, it makes more sense to me now!

13. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

My previous post was a response to a question from robertxavier

14. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Its legal to melt 90% silver coins, its been estimated that half of the 90% U.S. silver minted has been melted down over the years.

15. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

yes, you are right - so what do you think about the 35%silver war nickels being illegal to melt? i bought a dozen of them the other day for $10.00

16. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Its also legal to melt war nickels, there is an exemption specifically for them. (its still illegal to melt nickels that don't contain silver)

17. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

oh okay i didnt realize that. thanx for letting me know.

18. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Milk is as well. But 400% of $5, we're talking here. I suppose if you have a warehouse to stack silver it, it might just have made you enough to buy a mediocre car. My point being, as an investment vehicle, the op claiming non stackers will be left behind is laughable. The gains, even if you started 50 years ago, are so slim, as to not even compare to the most basic investments in bonds. Maybe you guys will prove me wrong and you'll all retire silver billionaires. But for now I'll stick with more traditional means of making money.

JPeace$ likes this.
  19. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

And in 2012, silver was 800-900% higher than in 2000.

Some people who sold their silver bought it at $4.00 / ounce and sold in the mid-upper $30's. That's a good gain.

20. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

You could stack millions of dollars worth of silver in an average size room.

You could fit all the silver in the entire world in a decent size warehouse.

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Look at the bar below, it shows the price of silver in 1978. I just had to have it, so I bought it a couple of years ago. Almost all the silver I have is because I like the way it looks. It's not to make a profit and it's not for sale, it's simply because I like the way it looks. Just had to say that. :smuggrin:

Attached Files:

• 329.JPG
      329.JPG
      File size:
      379.5 KB
      Views:
    • 331.JPG
      331.JPG
      File size:
      555.6 KB
      Views:
    • 332.JPG