If you don't Silver Stack you will be left behind

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SunriseCoins, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Silver or Fiat which one wins in the long run?

This poll will close on Mar 22, 2045 at 4:18 AM.
  1. Silver

75.5%
  2. Fiat

24.5%
  1. philo

philo New Member

Oh, well, certainly that's a strong argument to be considered. Thanks for the facts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Yes, but in any crisis short of Apocalype, silver will be very ueful.

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'm glad you started your comment with "Yes, but". Obviously you agreed with the statement.

5. littlehugger

Yes, but... hehe! Of course. Mankind has been through countless crisis', but the end of the world is a one-shot gig that it is pointless to make survival plans for. Until then, silver is a pretty good plan

Pere likes this.
  6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I think people have an unrealistic outlook, thinking their small pile of silver will increase in value hundreds of times. In reality, at best, it might move up 10-20% over a lifetime. If you hoarded a stack for 60 years for 20% on top of your buy-in, which was probably 2-3% over spot, so really you're getting 17%, minus taxes so, if you're lucky 7%, you're no better off than if you'd saved your cash under the mattress.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, the idea is that the silver will hold its value, while the cash goes to zero.

The problem I see is that people conflate "preserving $XXX of value" with "investing $XXX".

So, if I'd tucked $1000 under my mattress in 1965, it would be worth $1000 now -- maybe a bit more to a collector of the proper coins or currency.

If I'd tucked $1000 FV in silver under my mattress in 1965 (when it was still available at face value), it would be worth $12500 now. (It would've been worth over $30K at its peak in 1980 or 2011, less than $4000 throughout the 1990s.)

If I'd tucked $1000 into something that tracked official inflation figures in 1965, it would be worth about $7500 now.

If I'd tucked $1000 into something that tracked the S&P 500 in 1965, reinvesting dividends, it would be worth about $50K now.

I tend to think more in terms of preparing for retirement, not preparing for catastrophe. I want my money to grow, so I can live comfortably in retirement and pass something along to my children.

I suppose there are events that could make the US dollar worthless overnight. In that eventuality, the silver and gold I've collected might let me get some things that would otherwise be unavailable to me. Mostly, though, I think life after that event would be nasty, brutish, and short, no matter what "stuff" I may have on hand. The prospect of surviving in those conditions for five or ten years instead of one or two doesn't really motivate me very much. I plan instead for what I believe are more likely contingencies.

8. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Shame on you, Jeff, for attempting to insert logic and a rational perspective into the mind of those obsessed with a dystopian future! Thanks for sucking all of the fun out of living under a cone of negativity and despair.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish watching reruns of The Walking Dead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  9. littlehugger

Its interesting what some presume to think of others.
    Silver is a good investment. Its valued all over the world, and all through recorded history. Its not some dark, sinister back-alley fetish.
    Nor is it necessarily due to its investment qualities that people "stack" it. Like others here, silver stackers are coin collectors first.
    Other coin collectors specialize. Are they "living under a cone of negativity and despair"? Or any other negative misrepresentation of their character?
    Silver DOES have advantages over paper investments in time of crisis. Nor does it require the world to end. There have been many instances even in our lifetimes.
    Everyone is a collector here, but I fail to understand why certain categories of collectors are fair game for potshots. How about those who collect high grade slabbed stuff, and pay ten times more for a coin that is one point higher? If a crisis comes along, do you think that Prf 68 Morgan is going to be worth anymore than a VG 1921 Morgan?
    No.
    Point is, silver stackers have a place among us, and a valid one. They should not be looked down on.
    People should stick together.

SheafferSelectcom and Gilbert like this.
  10. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Lol silver is 400% higher now than it was in 2000.

Are you referring to the lifetime of an ant?

11. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Of course stock markets do not always pan out as the stock investment brokers want us all to think, here is a chart of the Japanese stock market, its been in a consistent downtrend for about 26 years now. Keep in mind that Japan has a relatively strong economy and is a first world nation.

[​IMG]

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Lol silver is 60% lower now than it was in 1980. Or in 2011.

If somebody had bought in 1975 and sold in 2000, or any time between about 1990 or 2005, they would've gained approximately nothing. How many of us are looking at a 15- to 30-year horizon for selling, where we're willing to let the market dictate whether we sell in 15 years or 30?

13. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Anything can go down, expecting silver to only rise 20% over the average liftetime of a human is ridiculous. Your points only validate just how undervalued silver is compared to a piece of paper backed by nothing but the power of the U.S. government.

Silver is the most undervalued commodity in recent history.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

APMEX recommends 10%-20% of your investment dollars should be in precious metals. Not more. I tend to agree with them, and even with this percentage, they recommend mixing gold, silver, platinum and palladium to obtain the over all percentage. They stress diversification. I stay away from the exotics and go with gold and silver. However, I am definitely not a stacker. I tend to go towards the 10% and balance out the portfolio with bonds, stocks and real estate. If your trying to compound your money, you need to have a strong presence in fields that pay interest and dividends as well as general growth.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

I have no faith in greenbacks when we are 17.8 trillions dollars in debt. Silver will always have value, never know if our economy will crash. Stocks are like shooting craps. The dollar is worth about 4 cents of printed paper, backed by nothing.

Tinpot and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

As previously noted, "silver stackers have a place among us ..... And should not be looked down upon." Anyone who believes that the trillions of dollars printed by the Federal Reserve and the trillions borrowed by the government will not have negative consequences for our economy in the coming years is just plain delusional. Precious metals should have a place in any investment portfolio. Too ignor the history of fiat currencies is to my thinking incomprehensible.

Tinpot and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I couldn't agree more with you 'Gilbert'......the issue of diversification is always valid, but in my personal case a bit too late...since I have already early retired at 64 and I'm waiting for the missing third of my retirement benefits legally available to me by my 65th birthday...

I agree that those of you that have decades before retirement diversify---the only question is to what degree and what percentages. I'd personally consider about 1/3 in precious metals to be sound and prudent...but it's all a personal matter of preferences and available funds for investing and what one considers the most desirable, immediate or long-term goal.

I have a small amount automatically deducted each month to purchase silver...a small hedge against inflation and a small investment that may increase in value as well as being immediately available to me if I need it. if i hit the lottery, i may play the market again, but not likely LOL

18. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Metal is real money. That's all I need to say. And inflation is inevitable. Stack!

Tinpot likes this.
  19. littlehugger

Its easy to cherry pick certain dates to "prove" a point with precious metals, but they have always been integral to coinage.
    When I was a kid, gold was $20 to the ounce. Silver was $1 an ounce, and you could get a big old 90% silver dollar for $1. The government made money on this, as a silver dollar was only 9/10's of an ounce. Its called seignoirage. (Spelling?)
    Now, gold is well over $1000, silver around $15. At $1200 per ounce, that's 60 times its value when I was a kid. It has been higher.
    Yes, it fluctuates. But even at its lowest at the turn of the miillenium, gold was $250 an ounce. 12 times its value when I was a kid.
    Yes, stocks and bonds can, and do, outperform precious metals. Extremely rare, and/or high grade coins do also. Thing is, I do not remember stackers routinely denigrating those types.
    Silver, and other precious metals are not being touted as a superior investment, but a different type.
    Precious metals may rise and fall, but are always worth something. Another advantage is taxes. But it at a low level, sell it at a low level, and it can be tax free. Other investments are strictly accounted for and each tax year, you pay and pay.

20. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Back then, our dollar was backed by Gold. Now it's shot way up because we keep printing in the basement.

Tinpot likes this.
  21. robertxavier

robertxavier Member

hi, i'm new to this, and have just started buying coin silver here and there over the last couple of months. i think its a great idea and enjoy getting good deals on the coins . i bought 7 , 1964 jfks and a walking liberty earlier today up here in deerfield, ma for $45.00, right just below or right at spot for today , i felt like i got a good deal and feel like i made a good choice. what's other's opinions on purchasing coin silver?

Draft saved Draft deleted